Thread: 2018 New Holstein Short Field Takeoff and Landing/Flour Drop Exhibition

Post Thanks / Like

2018 New Holstein Short Field Takeoff and Landing/Flour Drop Exhibition

Watching the video that Joe Prax posted on the Valdez Bush Pilot Competition inspired me to think a bit about the upcoming 2018 New Holstein Short Field and Landing/Flour Drop Exhibition, to be held on Sunday, July 22.

Here is a photo taken from Joe's video:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valdez.JPG 
Views:	1098 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	37057

Please use your imagery skills to transform the flat, relatively boring terrain of New Holstein into the beautiful, mountainous terrain that Joe enjoys at Valdez. Further, take a look at the line judges, scattered along the runway and interject the slim, fit, energetic figures of Steve Lewis, Lou Furlong, Larry Vetterman and their compatriots. Interject the image of The Shooter, launching the aircraft into the Wild, Blue Yonder. Heck, with the proceeds that SJ enjoys from the Exhibition I am sure that we could make cardboard cutouts that could rival the mountains, we could choose to wear sweatshirts and jeans to give the Valdez effect. But that would not give us New Holstein. No, never.

Is there a beer garden at Valdez? Not like that at New Holstein, Madam and Sir. Is there humidity that drenches the observer in profuse sweat at Valdez? I dare say no. The buzz of mosquitoes? Not.

Is there the wimpering of little children as they watch their heroes launch themselves into the great unknown at Valdez? I certainly could not hear them in Joe's video.

Are their special baseball hats given to the participants of Valdez? Good Lord, Ladies and Gentlemen, I don't know.

I do know that there are those among us who aspire to exhibiting at New Holstein, who spend countless restless nights during the frigid winter months warmed merely with the thought of the roar of the crowd, of the smell of warm beer, of Jim "Golden Pipes" Dickerson announcing the event.

Valdez. The warm up for New Holstein

New Holstein. Smell it (yes, it the smell may resemble fresh Holstein Cow Manure). Feel it. Want it.

Be ready, ladies and gentlemen, for excitement, for glory, for New Holstein.

Randy The Shooter
    Last edited by WindOnHisNose; 05-15-2018 at 07:29 AM.
    Thanks tcraft128 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Randy, I'm looking forward to helping out again this year, standing out there measuring t-off and landing distances just to get that special hat. Doesn't get any better. Larry v.
    Likes jrussl, hangarmonkey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Vetterman, whatís it gonna cost me to shorten your ruler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy, you leave the cap off the model airplane glue again?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes SJ, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, that would cost a lot, especially my other team mate Joe Edwards, between us we got a pretty sharp set of eyes. LV
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Participants need to pre-register! Here are the links!

STOL Sign Up Form CLICK
    Flour Drop Sign Up: CLICK
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes tcraft128 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Really looking forward to NH this year. I plan on flying in a day early to start bribing the judges and the shooter!
    Turning money into noise since 1996

Our Build here

Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcraft128 View Post
    Really looking forward to NH this year. I plan on flying in a day early to start bribing the judges and the shooter!
    Sent you a message tcraft.

For others, Any tips and tricks for someone that would be doing their first NH and first OSH ? Been to SnF many times.
    Thanks, Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t be shy. Just walk up to folks and introduce Yourself. Bring bug spray and never talk to Steve Eaton
    Never stay level!!!!!
    Thanks Tony Armour thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bring good tie-downs and a tent that can take a storm punch.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Thanks Tony Armour thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Papp View Post
    Donít be shy. Just walk up to folks and introduce Yourself. Bring bug spray and never talk to Steve Eaton
    Thatís right! All my so called friends never send me fuel money so I can come visit them.

Likes Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcraft128 View Post
    Bring lots of $$$. Those guys donít come cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the judges and shooter like those bills with Ben Franklin on them.....
    Thanks Coulee Clipper thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SD cubman View Post
    Most of the judges and shooter like those bills with Ben Franklin on them.....
    Officially known as “Aviation Units!”
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are going about it all wrong. It's the girls recording the numbers that you should be bribing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cafi19 View Post
    You guys are going about it all wrong. It's the girls recording the numbers that you should be bribing.
    Excellent point. The actual brains of the operation

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Thatís right! All my so called friends never send me fuel money so I can come visit them.

I'll send you 5 bucks. That should be enough gas to get you to all your friends.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.
    Likes cubdriver2, SteveE, OLDCROWE, okmike, SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    I'll send you 5 bucks. That should be enough gas to get you to all your friends.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    For $5 maybe SteveE meant "friend"

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, we are at 20 pilots who have been kind enough to sign up for the STOL exhibition. Thank you!

I will be emailing information to those who signed up in the near future, and will be including the information to the folks who have signed up for being judges.

This helps a bunch. Thank you.

From this point on, those who sign up will be listed as alternates, should some decide to opt out.

Bill Tracy, you made it!

Randy the Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the listing of those who signed up for the STOL, in the order in which they were received:

Jay Stanford N128js EXP Cub
    Warren Batzlaff 354C Aviat Husky A1-B with PA-18 landing gear
    Andrew Crane N4135Y Bellanca 7GCBC
    Jim Stevenson N8299A C170B
    Jon Counsell N4497B C-170B
    Steve Henry N622SC Highlander
    Cory Robin N371RJ Carbon Cub EX
    Jason Busat C-IHDC Rans S6
    Richard Ness N717YC Super Cub
    Pete Meyer N9PW CarbonCubEX
    Kevin Johnson 4910P PA-18
    Kevin Quinn 209RQ Carbon Cub
    Joe Edwards N47XP Legend Cub
    Steve Henry N622SC Highlander
    Riley Kennedy N185F Cessna 180A
    Tony Armour N874CB Just Superstol
    Clint Busenitz N605WC Badlands Traveler
    Trent Palmer N318JJ Kitfox STI
    Bill Tracy 8439Y PA-18
    Jim Crane N178CC Carbon Cub SS
    Tom Ford N4428Z Pa-18

Again, we can't thank you enough for being willing to show the good people of New Holstein your skills and the capabilities of these aircraft. It will be a hoot!

Randy the Shooter
    Last edited by WindOnHisNose; 07-09-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: correcting error
    Likes tcraft128, WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    While we have more than enough people signing up for the STOL event, we have relatively few signing up for the Flour Drop event.

Here are the kind folks who signed up for Flour Drop:

Larry Vetterman
    Andrew Crane
    Richard Ness
    Pete Meyer
    Kevin Johnson
    Bo Ellis

We need a few more, please. Last year we had many kids sign (14 to be exact) up to be "bombardiers", and you talk about some seriously awesome smiles...

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	38080

Come on, help us out! We sorta count on those who participate in the STOL event to do their part in helping these kids. More than sorta count on them...It is Supercub.org's version of "linkage"

We will have flour bombs...er...flour bags prepared again this year by a highly experienced team of ordinance technicians...

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	38081

Name:	Flour Bomb Crew.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	401.1 KB 
ID:	38082

We look forward to seeing more pilots signing up for this!

Randy the Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the young eagles stuff waiting to hear back, do you need that to fly the flour bombing? Iíll fly someone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    I did the young eagles stuff waiting to hear back, do you need that to fly the flour bombing? Iíll fly someone

Seems like someone in Idaho turned you in.

Likes RaisedByWolves, C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    I did the young eagles stuff waiting to hear back, do you need that to fly the flour bombing? I’ll fly someone

Tom, we aren't asking for the Youth Protection certification for the Flour Drop, but it is a good idea. Thanks for being willing to give a lucky child a chance to participate in the flour drop. Would you please go to the signup sheet and register?

Thanks very much!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Last year we actually had more than 14 young folks want to participate in the flower drop but we did not have any more airplanes so the more we get the more kids can participate. It is probably the most fun you’ll have the whole week Rick Papp
    Never stay level!!!!!
    Likes OLDCROWE, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    At this point we only have the following pilots signed up to participate in the flour drop event:

Larry vetterman
    Andrew Crane
    Richard Ness
    Pete Meyer
    Kevin Johnson
    Bo Ellis
    Steve Kregel
    Tom Ford

We need more people to sign up, please. Give this some thought. Thank you.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Dr. Randy, I helped do the measuring last year—-what fun. But I registered to help fly this year do to the shortage of pilots. If a bunch of guys step up I can do either, wherever you assign or need me. Larry v.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SD cubman View Post
    Dr. Randy, I helped do the measuring last yearó-what fun. But I registered to help fly this year do to the shortage of pilots. If a bunch of guys step up I can do either, wherever you assign or need me. Larry v.
    Get SJ to do the measuring, he's down to one eye so should make a perfect judge

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes WindOnHisNose, SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There has been an outcry...and I happen to be one who agrees with the "outcriers"...that we should not limit the number of people who participate in the STOL exhibition. There are several who have signed up (after cutting off signups) who have been long time Supercub.org supporters, who have been regulars at New Holstein over the years, who want to participate in the STOL.

Perhaps a brief history of the celebration of New Holstein STOL is in order.

In the Beginning...

There were a few people who flew into New Hostein who wanted to see how short they could take off, how short they could land. Visions of Valdez. Distant visions.

Their activity spawned the concept of perhaps doing a "Mini Valdez" at NH, and I remember one of the first events I was involved in was set up along side the paved runway, heading toward the West, and we set up wind measuring equipment so as to make the performance somewhat "scientific". We measured the wind (for reasons that escape me now, knowing that we didn't use the results to modifiy the distances), and low and behold Chris Nesin had the shortest landing distance of 86 feet. In a J-3. That was the first year I judged the event, and honestly I didn't know Chris and I thought he was a youngster in his early 20's (little did I know that he was a corporate pilot).

Things evolved.

The event grew and all the people who participated in the event were campers at New Holstein. These were people who I knew pretty well, those who camped next to me, those who came from many parts of the U.S. I remember seeing Tool Time Tim out there practicing his TO and L, I remember seeing SJ doing the same. The crowds from New Holstein grew in number, and Ron Sitzman came forth with a sound system so that we couid let the good people of New Holstein know what was going on. Jim "Golden Pipes" Dickerson stepped forward and offered to be the Master of Ceremonies for the event, much to the pleasure of the crowd (which had grown considerably).

Excitement grew quickly when Eddie Doyle won the Valdez Bush Pilot event, and it came home, front and center, that we had a virtual celebrity amongst us. The same Eddie Doyle who camped annually with his bride, Charlotte, and who shot the bull with us around the campfire each and every night. The same Eddie Doyle who flew the super cub replete with Sunburst wings, who was known to very quietly taxi down to the end of the runway very early in the morning, give 'er the gas and do a really low pass on takeoff over those of us who were still snoring in our tents. Tool Time Tim continued to practice his short field technique.

The event grew in numbers of those who came in from town to watch, and we had other exceptional New Holstein campers jump into the fray in an exceptional manner. Jay Stanford and his Dad came forth to emerge from their tents and give Eddie a run for his money. The event became more popular. Tool Time Tim continued to practice his short field technique.

The event began to take a life of it's own, with scorers extraordinaire, with judges led by FedEx Lou, with Field Marshals like Steve Lewis, with banners, with a carefully laid out take off and landing area, and we had an occasional person show up just to show us his skills.

Word spread, and Oshkosh in it's infinite wisdom decided to tap into the magic of STOL by enticing some very skilled pilots to fly their highly modified STOL aircraft at AirVenture, and come from far and wide they did come to show the crowd at AirVenture the magic of STOL. A kind of Renaissance emerged, spawned from Valdez, nurtured at New Holstein, brought to us by Eddie Doyle, and things began to change.

Einstein..."The only constant is change."

New Holstein STOL exhibition became a destination for those who really had nothing to do with the New Holstein Supercub.org FlyIn, but rather a destination for those who were particularly skilled at STOL, and in the last two years the event has not only grown in stature, but also changed in substance. For me, this has not been a particularly welcome change. As organizer of the event I found that pilots simply "showed up" at the last minute, having had nothing to do with the New Holstein experience, expecting to participate. Prior to this the same pilots who exhibited their STOL skills were the same people who camped next to me, who rode over in the same van with me to the showers in the early morning hours, the same people who gave Young Eagle rides, who gave up their back seats to kids from New Holstein for the Flour Bombing exhibition.

The flavor of the New Holstein Short Field Takeoff and Landing event began to take on a taste that concerned many of us, and remains a concern.

I found it distasteful to have to beg people to do Young Eagle flights to give back to the New Holstein community. I found it distasteful to have to beg people to give kids a ride for the Flour Bombing event. The dynamics had changed.

With these thoughts in mind, I was faced with a large number (for our small event) of pilots who wanted to perform/exhibit/compete, and I unilaterally decided to cap the number at 20. Four flights of five pilots, giving each pilot 3 attempts at TO and L. Prior to this we have really not had a "sign up" in advance, but rather pilots would come up to me at the NH FlyIn and tell me they wanted to participate. This year we encouraged pilots to sign up in advance, and when the number of participants reached 20 I declared "Uncle" and capped the entries.

Of course, shortly after capping the number we had several long-term supporters/campers/supercub.org enthusiasts sign up. As alternates.

I found this problematic, given the history. At the same time I found myself with far fewer pilots willing to provide Young Eagle flights, Flour Bombing flights, and these were the events in which we "give back" to the fine folks of New Holstein. I had a good phone visit with one of our long-term Supercub.org participants/supporters who was on the "alternate" list (missed the relatively arbitrary signup period that i had set) and I have unilaterally decided that we are absolutely NOT going to limit those who wish to fly in the 2018 New Holstein Supercub.org Short Field Takeoff and Landing Exhibition.

Rather, if you are kind enough to camp with us, if you are wanting to get that aircraft of yours out onto the Flight Line and give it your best shot at a terrific Short Field Takeoff and Landing, you are going to be able to do it. Period. It may change the way that we do things, but I think it important not to forget the "little guy" who aspires to be the Eddie Doyle of New Holstein, and who is willing to step up to the plate and let the fine people of New Holstein and us, your fellow campers, see how well you fly your aircraft. We will make it happen.

Whew. I am SOOOOOO glad I got that off of my chest.

What folows, then, is a listing of those who have signed up for the 2018 NH STOL event. Preference will be given to those who also fly Young Eagles and who fly Flour Bombing...errrr...Flour Dropping kids. Details to follow...

Jay Stanford
    Warren Batzlaff
    Andrew Crane
    Jim Stevenson
    Jon Counsell
    Steve Henry
    Cory Robin
    Jason Busat
    Richard Ness
    Pete Meyer
    Kevin Johnson
    Kevin Quinn
    Joe Edwards
    Riley Kennedy
    Tony Armour
    Clint Busenitz
    Trent Palmer
    Bill Tracy
    Jim Crane
    Tom Ford
    Bill Brine
    Terry Dow
    Eddie Doyle
    Hal Stockman

It is going to be a real hoot. Sorry for the long preamble, but I felt it necessary.

Randy the Shooter
    Thanks Tony Armour, Brandsman thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So Randy Bob, here is a simple solution. Sign up for young eagle rides TO participate in the STOL. Problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, Randy!

Nearly all of this is an easily anticipated side effect of having moved the event timing. We have done short field events at New Holstein since the very first year (I had heard of Gulkana at the time, but never heard of Valdez), the purpose after year one was to provide some "payback" and entertainment to the towns folks who did such a great job of supporting the event. We have never given a prize. In my mind the purpose of it is STILL to provide entertainment to the folks in the New Holstein and surrounding areas. I think it is great that we get so much interest in it and it definitely entertains folks!

While it used to be mostly flying and less production, Randy, with the help of many others, has turned it into a full scale production with announcers, music, etc. It is a model for how to run a good and safe STOL event and Randy has done an outstanding job of it. Because of his willingness and ability, I have left it 100% in his hands.

"Shooter" Randy got involved as a "Landing Safety Officer" in 2010. Then he went by the name "Paddles" . (see this thread with great shots by Seaworthy) We are not sure how he got this name...

The "looser" in all of the success of this event is that it WAS a safe semi-non-judgmental place where somebody could participate in their first STOL event. The participant popularity and particularly the huge crowds has now put a damper on that.

Randy, thanks again for taking on this event!

sj

P.S Chris Nesin's landing was 89 feet...
    Last edited by SJ; 07-15-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dr. Randy, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I look forward every year to the Hew Holstein week meeting up with old friends and making new friends, a highlight for me is giving young eagles rides and taking the kids on the flour “bombing” runs. I don’t care to put myself in the spotlight in the exhibition but enjoy helping on the ground and would hate to see New Holstein attendee’s miss the opportunity and would suggest if time is limited to giving each contestant 2 passes to make room for more planes. Just my two cents. Steve
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words, SJ, as I greatly appreciate them and the privilege of helping put on the STOL event, the Young Eagles event and the Flour Drop event. Watching the faces of the participants, and hearing the cheers of the crowd, is a very satisfying feeling.

I stand corrected on Chris Nesin's feat of 89 feet

The decision by the leadership of AirVenture to include a STOL demo really was a great one. Those of us who have long appreciated the skills of being able to really make our aircraft safely perform well welcomed the addition, and the popularity is gratifying in that many others also share our admiration for those who do a terrific job with stock aircraft, or who highly modify their aircraft into STOL super aircraft. I recall the discussion that SJ and others had regarding the request of the participants of the AirVenture STOL to have us move the event so as to accommodate their ability to "show their wares" at our event. SJ made the decision, based upon a number of factors, to move the event to Sunday primarily to change things up a bit, to make it easier for the good citizens of New Holstein to take in the event, to have Airport Appreciation Day, the Young Eagles Rally and the STOL exhibitions all in one magnificent day. We anticipated and welcomed participation of the AirVenture STOL pilots (some of whom are long time Supercub.org supporters and campers at New Holstein) and asked for registration before the event so that we could plan accordingly. Unfortunately, many of those STOL pilots simply showed up, failing to sign up and it was more than a bit of a cluster.

SJ has done a great job getting the signup pages in order and it is really helpful to me as we try to juggle a number of balls, balancing getting Young Eagle rides together, getting Flour Bombing rides together and getting the STOL event together. The common factor here is having pilots and aircraft available to participate.

Speaking for myself, I do this to give back to the City of New Holstein, to advance the mission of getting kids involved in aviation and to watch the enjoyment in the faces of my friends who participate in the STOL event. The growth pains are not insignificant, though, as we try to satisfy as many as we can. It is a team effort, to be sure, and I am fairly certain that those who share duties with me in organizing and pulling off the events share my convictions. It is also a team effort on the part of the pilots who, hopefully, understand that there is some linkage between events.

Randy
    Thanks FdxLou thanked for this post
    Likes charlie husky, Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose View Post
    .... SJ made the decision, based upon a number of factors, to move the event to Sunday primarily to change things up a bit
    HA! "made the decision?" I was beaten into submission by other strong personalities...
    Likes WindOnHisNose, Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, folks, the final list is set. Here are the pilots who will help make this one terrific, safe and entertaining exhibition!

Armour, Tony N874CB Just Superstol
    Batzlaff, Warren 354C Aviat Husky A1-B
    Brine, Bill 66289 Cessna 180k
    Busat, Jason C-IHDC Rans S6
    Busenitz, Clint N605WC Badlands Traveler
    Counsell, Jon N4497B C-170B
    Crane, Andrew N4135Y Bellanca 7GCBC
    Crane, Jim N178CC Carbon Cub SS
    Dow, Terry N87006 8GCBC
    Doyle, Ed N7545 PA-18
    Edwards, Joe N47XP Legend Cub
    Ford, Tom N4428Z Pa-18
    Henry, Steve N622SC Highlander
    Johnson, Johnson 4910P PA-18
    Kennedy, Riley N185F Cessna 180A
    Meyer, Pete N9PW CarbonCubEX
    Ness, Richard N717YC Super Cub
    Palmer, Trent N318JJ Kitfox STI
    Quinn, Kevin 209RQ Carbon Cub
    Robin, Cory N371RJ Carbon Cub EX
    Stanford, Jay N128js EXP Cub
    Stevenson, Jim N8299A C170B
    Stockman, Hal N509DH Rans S7S
    Tracy, Bill 8439Y PA-18

If I missed anyone, please let me know ASAP. It looks like a great field, and this is gonna be a real hoot!

Randy the Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    The Ground Course will be dependent upon wind...

If the wind is out of the North:

Name:	STOL Layout 4 2018.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	38180

If the wind is out of the South:

Name:	STOL Layout 22 2018.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	38181

We will be making the decision at the STOL briefing at 1200, to be held in the FBO building (where the Young Eagles signup will be ending).

Randy the Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have an updated Bomb Drop list? I'm sure I signed up, but haven't seen my name.

George Richmond

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NE Cub View Post
    Do you have an updated Bomb Drop list? I'm sure I signed up, but haven't seen my name.

George Richmond
    George, you are signed up...the updated list is on the Flour Bombing thread. I assume you have a radio in your aircraft?

Randy