Thread: 2018 New Holstein Short Field Takeoff and Landing/Flour Drop Exhibition

Post Thanks / Like

2018 New Holstein Short Field Takeoff and Landing/Flour Drop Exhibition

Watching the video that Joe Prax posted on the Valdez Bush Pilot Competition inspired me to think a bit about the upcoming 2018 New Holstein Short Field and Landing/Flour Drop Exhibition, to be held on Sunday, July 22.

Here is a photo taken from Joe's video:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valdez.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	37057

Please use your imagery skills to transform the flat, relatively boring terrain of New Holstein into the beautiful, mountainous terrain that Joe enjoys at Valdez. Further, take a look at the line judges, scattered along the runway and interject the slim, fit, energetic figures of Steve Lewis, Lou Furlong, Larry Vetterman and their compatriots. Interject the image of The Shooter, launching the aircraft into the Wild, Blue Yonder. Heck, with the proceeds that SJ enjoys from the Exhibition I am sure that we could make cardboard cutouts that could rival the mountains, we could choose to wear sweatshirts and jeans to give the Valdez effect. But that would not give us New Holstein. No, never.

Is there a beer garden at Valdez? Not like that at New Holstein, Madam and Sir. Is there humidity that drenches the observer in profuse sweat at Valdez? I dare say no. The buzz of mosquitoes? Not.

Is there the wimpering of little children as they watch their heroes launch themselves into the great unknown at Valdez? I certainly could not hear them in Joe's video.

Are their special baseball hats given to the participants of Valdez? Good Lord, Ladies and Gentlemen, I don't know.

I do know that there are those among us who aspire to exhibiting at New Holstein, who spend countless restless nights during the frigid winter months warmed merely with the thought of the roar of the crowd, of the smell of warm beer, of Jim "Golden Pipes" Dickerson announcing the event.

Valdez. The warm up for New Holstein

New Holstein. Smell it (yes, it the smell may resemble fresh Holstein Cow Manure). Feel it. Want it.

Be ready, ladies and gentlemen, for excitement, for glory, for New Holstein.

Randy The Shooter
    Last edited by WindOnHisNose; 05-15-2018 at 07:29 AM.
    Thanks tcraft128 thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl, charlie husky, Oz., DENNY, hangarmonkey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Randy, I'm looking forward to helping out again this year, standing out there measuring t-off and landing distances just to get that special hat. Doesn't get any better. Larry v.
    Likes jrussl, hangarmonkey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Vetterman, what’s it gonna cost me to shorten your ruler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy, you leave the cap off the model airplane glue again?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, that would cost a lot, especially my other team mate Joe Edwards, between us we got a pretty sharp set of eyes. LV