• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rudder Hinge Pins

EnglishNeil

I do not have sufficient information or evidence for a serious discussion, so for that I apologise. I have therefore deleted my contributions as I cannot see how to delete the thread. Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

Last edited:
There was an incident last weekend where the top rudder hinge pin sheared on a J3. Fortunately the experienced pilot landed safely but not without damage, the rudder detached and interfered with the elevator.

Does anyone know of any similar incidents on other J3's or indeed PA18s?

I'm not sure if the pin is the same part number on the PA18 as the J3, can anyone advise?

How about more detail on this?

Do you have a picture of the pin? Of the Sheared pin in place?

Citing an issue without finding the root cause really doesn't accomplish much.

The pin is an AN clevis pin, either 392 or 393. It would take some serious force to shear one.

The

Tim

I do not have sufficient information or evidence for a serious discussion, so for that I apologise. I have therefore deleted my contributions as I cannot see how to delete the thread. Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

Last edited:
I have a hard time trying to understand how a properly installed and maintained hinge pin would fail. Was this pin just installed recently? Or was it in there for decades? I can not imagine the loads involved to shear a maintained pin. Even a low grade hardware store pin would hold the rudder loads in that plane.

Last edited:

EnglishNeil, do not feel badly: You asked a legitimate question, and got some straightforward replies. This highlights the importance of a thorough, detailed preflight inspection. On two occasions I've "broken" Supercubs, just by looking at the rudder hinge pins, in both cases the split pin securing the castle nut was missing (how? I don't know). An easy repair.

I hope you continue to feel welcome here.

Thanks. cubscout

my point being.... if it was sheared, that would mean it was STUCK in all 3 parts/bushings, and the pin/or most of the pin parts would still be stuck there after landing..

it fell out.... probably cotter key went away.... if bushings still there as you said

Back