Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small hotrod caliber cartridges

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a sore shoulder just reading this!!

30-06 has killed about everything for me, including my brown bear. Lots of one shot moose kills at all ranges.

But that was not the point of this thread. What I really need is to have a few beers with you guys to learn what the heck some of these are... hence the 'wildcat' term I guess.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    6.5 Creedmoor, ammo is readily available and affordable. Doesn't kick and is good for 1000 yards target shooting. Got to feed it and it cost $.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    I have a sore shoulder just reading this!!

30-06 has killed about everything for me, including my brown bear. Lots of one shot moose kills at all ranges.

But that was not the point of this thread. What I really need is to have a few beers with you guys to learn what the heck some of these are... hence the 'wildcat' term I guess.
    All it takes is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06...cat_cartridges

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    I tried 200 grain Accubonds in mine and accuracy was dismal. The TSXs and 210 partitions are shooting very well. But my velocity with H4895, H322 (which is 8208 and AA2015 is about 100 fps less than the factory 210 loads. I'll give the Leverevolution powder a try.

I like .338s for hunting. I used a 340 Weatherby for a long time with 250s and it really did the job. But the new .338 Federal is much lighter, at 7.5 pounds loaded and with a sling, and kicks a lot less.
    If you haven't tried 215 primers that might help with the accuracy, my 180 load shot 2" moa at 100 with 210 and BR-2 primers switch to federal 215M primers and it turned into a laser beam. I worked with the 210 partition and 8208 and could safely get 2550 but the accuracy was better with the leverevolution, in the cold the fps dropped down to 2575 with LVL and the 8208 didn't change but is not as accurate. My gun also like the 210 seated deep.

I was a die hard 300 weatherby guy for a long time but looking back I can only think of a couple times I shot a big game animal more than 300 yards so I built up a 338 federal out of a Kimber Montana at 6lbs 3oz with scope it's now my main squeeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PA-22/20-160 View Post
    If you haven't tried 215 primers that might help with the accuracy, my 180 load shot 2" moa at 100 with 210 and BR-2 primers switch to federal 215M primers and it turned into a laser
    Unfortunately they are as scarce as hens teeth. Or were the last few years. I've got a good supply I found in a small store in eastern MT a year ago.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
    No.... Really?? As with my 6.8/'06 (.270 Win) remark, I was being a smart a**. When I see the constant stream of "new" cartridges being rolled out by the ammo and rifle makers, I keep asking myself how many times they can re-invent the wheel. Just last night I read an article in ST about the new .24 Nosler.
    Yeah, all you have to do is read PO Ackley's Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, vol 1 & 2, circa early 1960's,
    to see that there's really very few truly "new" cartridges.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Yeah, all you have to do is read PO Ackley's Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, vol 1 & 2, circa early 1960's,
    to see that there's really very few truly "new" cartridges.
    Those two books happen to be in my headboard bookcase. I've had them for at least 20 years and read them cover to cover more than once.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got a question out of the small hotrod caliber subject. Im looking at a short action. I realy like the rem 721/722/725s and 788s. Im liking the 300 savage over the 308. A relitive once told me the 308 was the worse blood shooting cartridge he ever had. Have a few friends that agree. I also had my 280 doing the same thing with factory loads. A friend hand loaded me some. Went with heavier bullet and slower muzzles velocities. Now very little blood shot. My 30-06 has never had a problem. My question is will a 300 savage be a great short action deer gun and not have a hydrostatic shock problem?
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Special Ed View Post
    Ive got a question out of the small hotrod caliber subject. Im looking at a short action. I realy like the rem 721/722/725s and 788s. Im liking the 300 savage over the 308. A relitive once told me the 308 was the worse blood shooting cartridge he ever had. Have a few friends that agree. I also had my 280 doing the same thing with factory loads. A friend hand loaded me some. Went with heavier bullet and slower muzzles velocities. Now very little blood shot. My 30-06 has never had a problem. My question is will a 300 savage be a great short action deer gun and not have a hydrostatic shock problem?
    That really doesn't compute. The '06 generates higher velocities (for a given bullet weight) than the 308. Personally I find the 300 Savage a rather lackluster cartridge, at least from the standpoint of exterior ballistics. If you're experiencing a lot of blood-shot meat, bullet selection is your problem, not cartridge selection.
    Likes spinner2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Found this awsome article online i figure some of you folks would like to read.

http://americanshootingjournal.com/c...ng-in-a-rifle/
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Thanks Brandsman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well you did choose a great caliber, its a great gun out to
    300 yds with standard twists an light bullets. Fantastic coyote gun. However to really see the true benifits of the .224 there are now bullets avalible for them ( if you have the right twist to shoot them) that can make the 243 guys and the 6.5 boys really shake their heads. Starting at 75 grs on up to 95grs these new bullets have startling high ballistic coefficients. Imagine BC over .500' that with modern powders can be started way north of 3K.........
    Tikka offers the American market a factory T3 with an 1/8
    Twist that will stabilize up to 95gr bullets in mine! It shoots 75gr ELDs into nickel sized groups at 200 yds. Ditto on the newest Nosler 85gr RDF bullets. If you think a 22/250 was hell on wheels: with standard .250/300 BC bullets; then try launching bullets, with a BC between .450/.550 and that is a" whole different ballgame"! Check out this chart of the .224 with a 95gr bullets at 3085............ Amazing stuff.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-09-02-47-10.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	40193 Is that half the drop at 1000yds than the .308!
    Last edited by TurboBeaver; 12-09-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    Likes tempdoug, Cub Special Ed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting thread..
    Looks like a large brain trust of shooting knowledge.
    I have a question about what you folks would pick for a long range coyote gun
    200-400 yards not out of the question.
    max bullet size is .225 (its the law)
    Probably be using a can on the end..unless it spells doom for the accuracy.
    I'm into the AR platforms, can do a 15 or a 10
    Would consider a bolt gun if I can't get enough accuracy with the AR.
    Bull barrel?..the weight doesn't bother me too much, as I probably won't be stalking on foot with it a lot.
    Using thermal...heavy recoil is kind of a no-no.
    Thanks Beaverpilot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboBeaver View Post
    Well you did choose a great caliber, its a great gun out to
    300 yds with standard twists an light bullets. Fantastic coyote gun. However to really see the true benifits of the .224 there are now bullets avalible for them ( if you have the right twist to shoot them) that can make the 243 guys and the 6.5 boys really shake their heads. Starting at 75 grs on up to 95grs these new bullets have startling high ballistic coefficients. Imagine BC over .500' that with modern powders can be started way north of 3K.........
    Tikka offers the American market a factory T3 with an 1/8
    Twist that will stabilize up to 95gr bullets in mine! It shoots 75gr ELDs into nickel sized groups at 200 yds. Ditto on the newest Nosler 85gr RDF bullets. If you think a 22/250 was hell on wheels: with standard .250/300 BC bullets; then try launching bullets, with a BC between .450/.550 and that is a" whole different ballgame"! Check out this chart of the .224 with a 95gr bullets at 3085............ Amazing stuff.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-09-02-47-10.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	40193 Is that half the drop at 1000yds than the .308!
    Why did you have to go and post such a thing? I was perfectly happy with my 22-250 and 6mm.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol,
    Sorry Perry! I was happy as a clam with mine too, until my
    Buddy bought one of these Tikkas with the 8 twist barrel.
    When I saw the advantage it has with these super high BC
    Bullets I up and sold my T/C Venture 22/250 and bought the Tikka. Huge upgrade. Now my old 243 is just collecting dust.........
    Lol, its only money Perry! And lifes to short to hunt with
    an ugly gun!
    Thanks Poor Joe thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Turbo, to be completely honest, you're doing Perry a favor, and no doubt he's grateful. I mean, he knows, or should know, that some exposure to the finer products in our marketplace could be a positive influence. I mean, after all, this is a guy who thinks the F-word is as good as it gets in pickups. Now, Perry's a great guy and an excellent pilot - just needs a little help in judgment when it comes to commercial products. Except for his airplane. It's a dandy. A PA-12, of course.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Thanks PerryB thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even know where to begin......

Post Thanks / Like
    I fear that you will, though - - -
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Misch View Post
    - just needs a little help in judgment when it comes to commercial products.
    This is coming from a man who takes horses when he travels because the Dodge might not make it. -- p.s. I figured out where to begin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually - - Quite some time ago, perhaps close to 20 years, we were haying a neighbor's field, which required crossing a ford in a creek that was way down from the field elevation. Maybe 20 or 30 ft perhaps. The creek rocks were slippery and the track up out of the creek was also slippery due to several crossings with loads of hay.

So, the situation was that my son was driving the pickup hauling hay back to the house, and I was baling with a team. Well, wouldn't you know, at the bottom of the ford was when the 4WD decided to fail on the pickup. Down in the bottom with a full load and stuck. So my son came and got me with the news. Well sir, I unhitched the team from the baler, hooked a chain to the pickup AND trailer with a few tons of hay on it, and pulled them out. Reba and Nellie. Shires. Boy, could they work.

As an aside, same son won a regional pulling contest with Prince and Nellie. Prince being a Belgian.

I make no apologies for my horses, sir! Oh yeah, notice that there's a "ford" involved. Figgers.

Sorry for the hijack - -
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    Likes PerryB, BC12D-4-85, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Horses, Dodges, Pa-12s, 243's, we are scraping the bottom of the barrel now! Take the Dodge in to get your Pa12 out after you found it will land way shorter than it will take off. When your Dodge breaks down, you get the ol' stable pet out to drag the works home. When you find the stable pet's not up to it, hopefuly your 243 will put meat in your belly untill your rescued with a pa11 or pa18 and a Ford.

You Gm driving, 6.5 creedmore shooting folks are smart to stay quiet! Kind of like cross dressers.

I just had to say it. Lets the sh¿t slinging commence.

Disclaimer: im just joking! No offense meant to anyone!
    Last edited by Cub Special Ed; 12-12-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    Likes Gordon Misch, 1piece@atime liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You're too modest Ed, tell us how you really feel!

Post Thanks / Like
    You're too modest Ed, tell us how you really feel!
    How i really feel; im lazy so im not particular. If i can drive it, ride it, or fly it i'll take it over my own two feet anyday. And anything under .50 cal ill try once.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perry,
    If you want to try one "cheap" here is a "smokin deal" on one........... This has the 8 twist and is less money for the whole gun than just a unfitted barrel would cost! Treat yourself for Christmas!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-12-21-36-11.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	40267
    Likes Riverking liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If I buy one more rifle, my Wife will probably shoot me with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    im putting together a 7 twist 22-250 right now, planning on no less than 80 grain bullets so im curious to see a little farther out how the firearms manufacturers handle this faster twist for the heavier 22 caliber bullets, i think it will be next. weve see BOSS, fiberglass stocks, fluted barrels, all the bedding sales ploys in the world, triggers, etc, etc, now we even have electronics in scopes, ugh, anything that sells, but if these 22 heavys work, twist will be next. going from 12-14 twist down to 7 thats quite a spin up, spin up is next for sales, just guessing but lets see how they handle it. a fast twist like a 7 with a lot of speed and a 40-45 grain bullet i wonder if it will take the jacket right off it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody try them ruger americans? I suppose you get what you pay for. Are they control feed? I shouldnt be asking because like PerryB said, i to would probably get it used on me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone use the sellier & bellot 12 guage #4 buck for yotes? Or have use any other seller ammo? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone use the sellier & bellot 12 guage #4 buck for yotes? Or have use any other seller ammo? Thanks
    Yes. And medium to small pigs too. Works great and is not too pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Yes. And medium to small pigs too. Works great and is not too pricey.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used several different types of their ammo. Always had good performance from them.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tempdoug,
    Cant speak for a 7 twist but can vouch for this 8 twist with
    Nosler 85gr RDF bullets at 3200. At 300 yds (ranged) yesterday 6/8kts direct xwind the Tikka will shoot a 3 shot
    group with a clean barrel you can cover with a .50 cent piece! So you could easily head shoot a songdog at 300 with it or gophers all day long. With 75gr ELDm bullets it will reduce the group diameter to quarter size again at 300
    So you could head shoot PD's all day long with that bullet,
    No sweat . That loading chronographed just over 3300fps.
    So besides being a wicked 500yd Coyote gun. With a 80/90 gr bullet it will mimic the .243 for energy with better
    penetration and superior trajectory behond 300 yds because of its much higher BC at any given bullet weight!
    You will be hearing ALOT more in the future about 7/8 twist 22/250's..........

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been doing some research. I dont want to start another thread so im going to ask your opinions here on two points of view. One name or the other will suffice.

Jack O'connor
    Or
    Elmer Keith
    Last edited by Cub Special Ed; 12-14-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Elmer.
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joc x 100.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really have an opinion so I'm not going to weigh in. They both contributed significantly to the development of modern cartridges and should be appreciated for that. I know they didn't like each other. Late in life, Elmer once said he should make the journey to Lewiston and piss on Jack's grave before he was too old and feeble to make the trip. A bit harsh ....

Post Thanks / Like
    How about John Browning

Post Thanks / Like
    J.M. Browning was one sharp old bird. A real mechanical genius. Bill Ruger was a mechanical genius of the same order, if not higher, but his political maneuverings later in life cost him a lot of popularity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Walker 40x remington
    Last edited by tempdoug; 12-15-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    Likes PerryB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember if it was Bob Hutton or Bob Forker (maybe a joint effort), but they necked a .378 WBY down to 22 cal. Called it the .22 Eargesplitzen Loudenboomer. I think P.O. Ackley might have considered it to be a little over bore capacity. It was simply an experiment in ridiculousness and probably the product of a few drinks.

Edit -- I went back and did my homework. It was actually made by Ackley, for Bob Hutton. It was an experiment to reach 5000 fps. It only ever reached 4600, and used 105gr. of H570 in the process. I cringe to imagine what barrel life would be, but you could probably count it on your fingers.
    Reading PO Ackley book, approx. 1/3 of energy is used for bullet spin.