Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 81 to 89 of 89

Thread: Small hotrod caliber cartridges

  1. #81
    aktango58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    18AA
    Posts
    8,714
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a sore shoulder just reading this!!

    30-06 has killed about everything for me, including my brown bear. Lots of one shot moose kills at all ranges.

    But that was not the point of this thread. What I really need is to have a few beers with you guys to learn what the heck some of these are... hence the 'wildcat' term I guess.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like
    6.5 Creedmoor, ammo is readily available and affordable. Doesn't kick and is good for 1000 yards target shooting. Got to feed it and it cost $.

  3. #83
    BC12D-4-85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK.
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    I have a sore shoulder just reading this!!

    30-06 has killed about everything for me, including my brown bear. Lots of one shot moose kills at all ranges.

    But that was not the point of this thread. What I really need is to have a few beers with you guys to learn what the heck some of these are... hence the 'wildcat' term I guess.
    All it takes is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06...cat_cartridges

    Gary

  4. #84

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    600
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    I tried 200 grain Accubonds in mine and accuracy was dismal. The TSXs and 210 partitions are shooting very well. But my velocity with H4895, H322 (which is 8208 and AA2015 is about 100 fps less than the factory 210 loads. I'll give the Leverevolution powder a try.

    I like .338s for hunting. I used a 340 Weatherby for a long time with 250s and it really did the job. But the new .338 Federal is much lighter, at 7.5 pounds loaded and with a sling, and kicks a lot less.
    If you haven't tried 215 primers that might help with the accuracy, my 180 load shot 2" moa at 100 with 210 and BR-2 primers switch to federal 215M primers and it turned into a laser beam. I worked with the 210 partition and 8208 and could safely get 2550 but the accuracy was better with the leverevolution, in the cold the fps dropped down to 2575 with LVL and the 8208 didn't change but is not as accurate. My gun also like the 210 seated deep.

    I was a die hard 300 weatherby guy for a long time but looking back I can only think of a couple times I shot a big game animal more than 300 yards so I built up a 338 federal out of a Kimber Montana at 6lbs 3oz with scope it's now my main squeeze.

  5. #85
    S2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,856
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PA-22/20-160 View Post
    If you haven't tried 215 primers that might help with the accuracy, my 180 load shot 2" moa at 100 with 210 and BR-2 primers switch to federal 215M primers and it turned into a laser
    Unfortunately they are as scarce as hens teeth. Or were the last few years. I've got a good supply I found in a small store in eastern MT a year ago.



    Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

  6. #86
    hotrod180's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    Posts
    2,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
    No.... Really?? As with my 6.8/'06 (.270 Win) remark, I was being a smart a**. When I see the constant stream of "new" cartridges being rolled out by the ammo and rifle makers, I keep asking myself how many times they can re-invent the wheel. Just last night I read an article in ST about the new .24 Nosler.
    Yeah, all you have to do is read PO Ackley's Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, vol 1 & 2, circa early 1960's,
    to see that there's really very few truly "new" cartridges.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

  7. #87
    PerryB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern Calif.
    Posts
    1,558
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Yeah, all you have to do is read PO Ackley's Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, vol 1 & 2, circa early 1960's,
    to see that there's really very few truly "new" cartridges.
    Those two books happen to be in my headboard bookcase. I've had them for at least 20 years and read them cover to cover more than once.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

  8. #88
    Cub Special Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    MT/SD
    Posts
    312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got a question out of the small hotrod caliber subject. Im looking at a short action. I realy like the rem 721/722/725s and 788s. Im liking the 300 savage over the 308. A relitive once told me the 308 was the worse blood shooting cartridge he ever had. Have a few friends that agree. I also had my 280 doing the same thing with factory loads. A friend hand loaded me some. Went with heavier bullet and slower muzzles velocities. Now very little blood shot. My 30-06 has never had a problem. My question is will a 300 savage be a great short action deer gun and not have a hydrostatic shock problem?
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

  9. #89
    PerryB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern Calif.
    Posts
    1,558
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Special Ed View Post
    Ive got a question out of the small hotrod caliber subject. Im looking at a short action. I realy like the rem 721/722/725s and 788s. Im liking the 300 savage over the 308. A relitive once told me the 308 was the worse blood shooting cartridge he ever had. Have a few friends that agree. I also had my 280 doing the same thing with factory loads. A friend hand loaded me some. Went with heavier bullet and slower muzzles velocities. Now very little blood shot. My 30-06 has never had a problem. My question is will a 300 savage be a great short action deer gun and not have a hydrostatic shock problem?
    That really doesn't compute. The '06 generates higher velocities (for a given bullet weight) than the 308. Personally I find the 300 Savage a rather lackluster cartridge, at least from the standpoint of exterior ballistics. If you're experiencing a lot of blood-shot meat, bullet selection is your problem, not cartridge selection.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !
    Likes spinner2 liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. It's a Small World
    By Steve Pierce in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 08:09 AM
  2. It's Still A Small World
    By Patrol Guy in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 09:35 PM
  3. Atlee Dodge Hotrod muffler for 150 SC
    By jpierce in forum Products, Purchases, Reviews & Prices
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 09:36 AM
  4. Which Pistol Caliber for Bear
    By SteveE in forum Sportsman's Den
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 09:14 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •