• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lifting Eyes

I've lifted a porky late model 180 on and off of floats more times than I can count, always on the front lifting eyes. If you can't trust those eye bolts what bolts can you trust?
Wasn’t the eye bolts I had a problem with, my spreader bar started to fold up...

Sutton Aircraft Salvage 907-754-6969
Copper River Airmotive 907-822-4004
Wentworth Aircraft MN 612-722-0065
DENNY

4 hoisting eyes on my 180J

All most of us have is two. A couple of us know a plane that had one rip out at about 50' AGL while being lifted by a helicopter. That plane got returned to the ground hanging on one eye. Tense moment for that owner as he was standing under it to support the low wingtip as they set it down.

I used the boom truck a couple of nights ago on my new Cub. It behaved just like my 180 always has. Just before the mains lift off the ground the tail comes up a couple of feet. Lift the mains a few more inches, the tail comes up 2 or 3x as much. No big deal on a calm night. Lifting a plane on the lift rings will tell you a lot about it's balance. Especially when you do it a couple of dozen times with different stuff in the plane.

Last edited:
Lift rings make good action camera mounting points. And they're handy for lifting the plane, too. ;)

I miss my old Blockbuster card. It was the best airplane windshield scraper ever. For those days where the frost surprised me.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    837.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    825.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Back