• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bringing home a TwinBee

algonquin

Seldovia,Ak
Well looks like I'll be bringing a TwinBee north to my place in upstate NY. Flying out of western NC on Tuesday. Can't wait, and thanks Pete for all the help.IMG_3261.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3261.JPG
    IMG_3261.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 312
Post a bunch of pics! That’s a cool airplane. Friend of mine is restoring his grandfathers single engine bee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post a bunch of pics! That’s a cool airplane. Friend of mine is restoring his grandfathers single engine bee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your friend had better like working on the B as they seem to always need to have some maintenance done.

Wish I could join you! Would love to fly one, and I am rated for it.

I think I know where some B parts are hiding still also.

Our local one has the LS1 Corvette conversion. (one does wish for better brakes)

4b94d4b15a99ffbdeb163128.jpg

02eee89b2e0fc996c90acb7c.jpg

I just started re-reading Success On The Step, Flying With Kenmore Air. If you haven’t read it do yourself a favor and get a copy. Started in 1946 with Taylorcraft, went on to operate and maintain largest collection of Seabees in the country before the Beavers. Their first full time mechanic employee in 46 was Tom Wardleigh.... Wish I would have been interested in history when I flew with Tom in Alaska! Great story of early float/bush aviation..

I just started re-reading Success On The Step, Flying With Kenmore Air. If you haven’t read it do yourself a favor and get a copy. Started in 1946 with Taylorcraft, went on to operate and maintain largest collection of Seabees in the country before the Beavers. Their first full time mechanic employee in 46 was Tom Wardleigh.... Wish I would have been interested in history when I flew with Tom in Alaska! Great story of early float/bush aviation..

Tom passed along a number of early Kenmore stories, including about SeaBees. One story involved moving a ver long crankshaft for a mining operation from Kenmore up the coast to a mine in BC. Tom said they slid the thing all the way back into the tail boom, with the interior removed and the wheel gear removed. Still couldn’t quite close that bow door on the thing.....so they tied the door mostly closed and duct taped the gap....which wasn’t huge. Off Tom went, though he said the Bee took most of Lake Washington to get airborne. When he got to the mine, they had a strain gauge on the crane that lifted the thing out of the Bee. I’ve forgotten the weight, but needless to say, it was a bit over gross.

Having flown a stock engine Bee a little, i was in awe he could get it to fly overloaded.....

MTV

The field is 9a9, nice field. I flew it today, the wind was 14/24 90deg X/W and it just flew great. The wind was blocked a bit by the trees but the plane just handled very nice. I'm going to check Matt out after I go up to Scooters and get a good check out. They have a TwinBee training program there. I'm staying on land strips until then. This plane is in excellent shape and the systems are very easy to operate and understand, just well engineered all around. The guy who is an expert on these is Pete, he's been coaching me all along. He did all the cert. flight and test flew everyone out of the factory.

Flew six hours today and parked it in Albany,NY. Long day in the weather today, bumpy half the way up. Interesting airplane to fly, it would be a good race with a Super Cub, ind. 100kts most of the way.IMG_2438.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2438.jpg
    IMG_2438.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 198
Nice looking plane! I like the turquoise accent luggage! :)

sj

Should be bring it to my place in a couple of weeks. Need to dry out a bit, don't want to sink it in the mud.
When is the Greenville seaplane fly-in? I'm gone most of the summer.

Well Glen I will be bring the TwinBee to my place this week if you want to stop by. I look forward to getting the seaplane check out, maybe I can join the gang in July when I get back for some float flying. Pete tells me it's quick off the water. The only problem is keeping up with the hot rods only does about a 100 kits. I'll have three weeks down mostly to do maintenance on the place.

Looking forward to it, we are gone wed,thru., fri. With the Grandkids. Home the rest of the week.

Back