• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Capacitor Replacement

Eddie Foy

South Florida
This is for you Webb. The capacitor in the photo was wired from the alternator output (A) to ground. I assume it was to filter noise. My meter say 6 nF. Does that sound right. What is the typical value and where is a good place to get a new one.

3A410BEF-7A82-4535-8D1C-FA9A856AF221.jpeg

Attachments

• 3A410BEF-7A82-4535-8D1C-FA9A856AF221.jpeg
    3A410BEF-7A82-4535-8D1C-FA9A856AF221.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 204
Looks like the Cessna part is S1915-1. Can't see spending $80 for one. What is the Farad rating of the Cessna piece?

Yikes. $80 dollars is on the low side!
This is just a filter capacitor and the S-1915-1 part number comes up as installed as per an SB. Even if you leave it off, the charging system will still work. I'm not finding a spec on it, on line. Possible a spec may be ink stamped on a new one if you can get eyes on. I've seen various values on these filters but my opinion is that the 6 nf is a good reading. If you need to replace it with something cheaper, do a search for part number 63897-006.

Web

I will clean it up and re-install it. If I have radio noise I will deal with it. My vhf is a Garmin 225. I think they have pretty good internal noise filtering.

I THINK I still have some of those. I had a whole box of them at one point. Will try to remember to look tomorrow...

I'm not finding a spec on it, on line. Possible a spec may be ink stamped on a new one if you can get eyes on.

Lonestar Aviation makes a PMA approved replacement for the Cessna part - I have one at the hangar and can look up the spec next time I'm down there.

Chris

Last edited:
Sorry Eddie, just got out of the plow truck and a little preoccupied. Just got 18" of snow and in the early am it is going to switch to 16 hours straight of freezing rain. I will try to get in the hangar tomorrow to look..

Eddie, I have an OE Cessna S1915-1 (one in the middle) that someone recrimped a connector on the wire and a few brand new replacements that are the same, made by same company, etc but different part number. 6.0 MFD rated at 150VDC and 100*C

$30US + postage from L9M2C1 if you want either...or anyone else for that matter, I have a few.

LMK,
Wayne

Attachments

• alternatorfilter 002.jpg
    alternatorfilter 002.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 164
  • alternatorfilter 003.jpg
    alternatorfilter 003.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 146
  • alternatorfilter 007.jpg
    alternatorfilter 007.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 165
Just go to a auto alternator repair shop and I bet they have a bunch of them for a few bucks.

Back