Thread: Daydreaming About Flaps

Post Thanks / Like
    On Kevin Quinn's Big Tire Pilots page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes 46 Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    I don't mean to sound so contrarian but they should pay attention to the gap between the leading edge of that new flap and the trailing edge of the wing. That gap should not be there with the flaps up. When the flaps are down there should be smooth flow behind the wing and over the leading edge of the flap's slat. Perhaps they are going to add a fairing like the PA-18 uses? The shape of the trailing edge of the wing has a great deal of influence on how the air flows over the flap.

I have wondered myself how a slot would work built into the flap such as this. It will be interesting to learn what their flight testing determines.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RVBottomly View Post
    I found this on the Rans website regarding teleflex for flaps.

Attachment 36802

It comes from the discussion of the S-21 Outbound. Scroll down to 3/29/17 entry:

https://www.rans.com/21-outbound-progress-page-2

I notice that flap deployment is in a pull configuration on a bellcrank. I remember the telexflex "Xtreme" cables can handle an 8" bend radius.
    Old thread, but a little additional info on Teleflex Xtreme - certain boat mfg's used them almost exclusively in their models, while typical marine distributors did not stock any of the Xtreme's. The difference to the std teleflex is the Xtreme cable has many more small "wires" forming the cable, where the non-Xtreme cable has fewer, larger, "wires" forming the cable. This allows the Xtreme cable to bend smaller radius's, but I would not recommend using it in a 8-9" bend radius. The big benefit was smoothness of the cable in it's action, and less resistance from small S-curve type routing in the engine bays or stringers. Highly recommend them.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I like with the Telexflex "Xtreme" cables is the reduced friction compared with most other push-pull cables. I run with a foot throttle in my boats and the added sensitivity is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Daydreaming About Flaps

Update on my own flaps. My flap handle was set up like a Cessna. Thumb button to pull, thumb button to release. The ability of the ratchet to engage the respective notches was inconsistent, and that was a problem. The solution? The full loop control cable is gone. I used a dual spring with a yoke at both bell cranks (original unequal arm type) in both wings. The flap ratchet is back to standard Cub. Pull up with no thumb button, thumb button required to retract. The flaps work much better now. They sag a couple of degrees in the tiedown but that sag disappears with airspeed. I use flap-aileron locks so no issue when parked outdoors. My flaps are easier to deploy and I have MUCH better control of the positions at the lever. My left flap has had a persistent degree or two sag when retracted and thatís gone. The plane flies better in cruise and control to landings is much better. Flap handle pressure is manageable. The spring pressure on the ground is higher than stock Cub but in flight I donít have any problems with it. All the comments about speed and flap pressure are correct, although overstated, but at any rate Iím not having any problem with mine, but Iím not a small guy. The gear effect of flaps rotating the nose down is absolutely linear. That was demontrated best when my flap ratchet wouldnít stay engaged. That made for some interesting landings. All better now.

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_4798.JPG
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post
    Likes RaisedByWolves, flylow liked this post