• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Plane lands on SC beach to take pictures, FAA says

"[FONT=&quot]Peters said the FAA is investigating whether the landed was legal."

One can presume there are no editors in news rooms anymore.

[/FONT]

From the linked story:
"The Post and Courier of Charleston reports the Federal Aviation Administration says the Piper PA-12 landed on a beach on Sullivan's Island on Saturday.
FAA spokesman Jim Peters cited police who said the pilot took pictures and then took off before officers could catch him."

No assumption of some sort of guilt going on there!
Hope he had 2" numbers.

OBVIOUSLY a precautionary landing to check: fuel caps, dip stick, tire pressure, prop bolts (in the interest of safety)
.......anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Alaska you only take pictures of the fish you caught, while on the beach

Last edited:
This really pisses me off; clueless local reporters (and law enforcement?) immediately assuming that the law is being broken whenever something seen is outside their narrow realm of experience. I recall DHS or TSA issuing a notice some time ago to alert the authorities if citizens noticed “mud on tires or other evidence of off-airport activities”, as if that were a crime.

"Peters said the FAA is investigating whether the landed was legal."

One can presume there are no editors in news rooms anymore.

This entire premise wouldn’t have gotten past my high school journalism teacher. D minus.

What would you expect a prudent pilot to do, if he saw a car moving towards him aggressively?

By far the smartest thing that guy did was get the hell out of there! C-152 at Lorleberg's Hdwe.jpg I landed a 152 on a state hwy in WI for a Hardware store grand opening. No problems, landed just at dawn no one saw me. But when I went to leave 3 days later (sunday morning) a local yokel parked next to the airplane went ballistic because I could show him no proof I had OK to take off. So he had local dispatcher call FAA hotline. Nobody answered. Then he called County sheriff for backup. Dispatcher called ballistic cop back said no one answers at FAA hotline our next call would be to NTSB in Chicago, should I call that. Cop says yes. So now I have 4 cop cars around me now temporarily housed in the back seat of ballistic cop's squad car, and the NTSB standby guy in Chicago says hell no if he knew if anybody had permission to take off from a state hwy in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. Most of the local cops just wanted to stop traffic and let me take off but after the ballistic guy got the NTSB involved I caved...returned the next day with a friend and pulled the wings off and trailered to a friend's private grass strip.

Our lawyer did some research, and the only thing I coulda been nabbed on of course was catch all FAR careless and reckless, and Wisconsin hwy ordinance requiring a permit for anyting over 8 ft wide.

ON some other occasions when john law approached I managed a quick get away when young, reckless, and a little quicker than I am now!

Attachments

• C-152 at Lorleberg's Hdwe.jpg
    C-152 at Lorleberg's Hdwe.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 384
The Nanny State is a total, freaking drag. No doubt about it.

Yea, but we’re talking about a beach.
Adjacent property owners (if there was one in this case) own land to “mean high tide line” beyond that, state owned.
unless under some other jurisdiction - state park, marine sanctuary, etc.. - not sure what violation was committed.

Oliver, I meant landing on anything other the paved runways....but good point. As far as parks, sanctuary all normal. we hunt in a few here,we land in them as well. Some times to chop off heads of dead walrus....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-09-19-56-07.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-09-19-56-07.png
    273.7 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
I think theres a joke involving the movie "1941" here somewhere? When i was on a road once getting ready to leave, the dot pulled up. Turned all flashing lighs on, they were just trying to be nice and block traffic for me. Cops always have to tell reporters there investigating.

I used to pick up the school teacher for Eagle on the Alaska Highway outside of Tok. This was the Fairbanks to Eagle scheduled mail plane (206). Alaska allows you to use the roads for landing strips when needed. Pretty common affair but we haven't yet become a "Nanny State"...

By far the smartest thing that guy did was get the hell out of there!View attachment 36271 I landed a 152 on a state hwy in WI for a Hardware store grand opening. No problems, landed just at dawn no one saw me. But when I went to leave 3 days later (sunday morning) a local yokel parked next to the airplane went ballistic because I could show him no proof I had OK to take off. So he had local dispatcher call FAA hotline. Nobody answered. Then he called County sheriff for backup. Dispatcher called ballistic cop back said no one answers at FAA hotline our next call would be to NTSB in Chicago, should I call that. Cop says yes. So now I have 4 cop cars around me now temporarily housed in the back seat of ballistic cop's squad car, and the NTSB standby guy in Chicago says hell no if he knew if anybody had permission to take off from a state hwy in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. Most of the local cops just wanted to stop traffic and let me take off but after the ballistic guy got the NTSB involved I caved...returned the next day with a friend and pulled the wings off and trailered to a friend's private grass strip.

Our lawyer did some research, and the only thing I coulda been nabbed on of course was catch all FAR careless and reckless, and Wisconsin hwy ordinance requiring a permit for anyting over 8 ft wide.

ON some other occasions when john law approached I managed a quick get away when young, reckless, and a little quicker than I am now!
Reminds me of Murph landing in the field across from the convenience store in Rotan, Texas to get some beer and the local city cop pulled the same thing. He couldn't find anything to violate him for so Murphy grabbed his licence and told him it was getting dark and couldn't land at the lodge in the dark so when he figured out what he was getting him for let him know. Monday morning the FAA had nothing so that was the end of it.

Locals around here tell me I can land in the Brazos River all the time. I tell them to talk to the game warden and the Brazos River Authority and they will find out different. People have mindset that airplanes should only land on airports.

Years ago, an old guy in an Ercoupe landed here to get gas right after a big rainstorm. A deputy sheriff showed up looking for him just after he left. He had landed on a dirt road to wait out the weather and someone called it in as a plane crash.

Copy of Cub at golf course 1990 - Copy.jpgI found most of the time when making off airport landings, I would notify cops etc ahead of time so there would be little surprises. Also I was airport mgr so if landing in local area to promote something I told any questioners that local control tower had given me permission.. Tower chief always went along with it but he of course had no authority to OK any landing at other than our local airport. Cops don't like surprises, and almost all of them have no knowledge of airplanes, FARs, etc.

Did off airport landings to promote our flight school, sell 182s and super cubs (both of which could easily operate out of strips where 172s and Cherokees struggle.) Lotsa fun, never scratched anything - guess I was lucky.

Attachments

• Copy of Cub at golf course 1990 - Copy.jpg
    Copy of Cub at golf course 1990 - Copy.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 302
.........I was airport mgr so if landing in local area to promote something I told any questioners that local control tower had given me permission.. Tower chief always went along with it but he of course had no authority to OK any landing at other than our local airport. Cops don't like surprises, and almost all of them have no knowledge of airplanes, FARs, etc......

This would probably work with a lot of people who don't know anything about aviation but are convinced that you're doing something wrong.
I'll have to remember that one.

Too many rules. I remember talking with a very senior FAA official once. His quote was it was literally impossible to fly a legal flight based on the overwhelming number of regulations. I think it’s 91.103 that says a pilot must become familiar with ALL available information for that flight..... And then add in state and local regs..... try and read fish and game laws.... I think I’m getting too old for this....

At what age does one become "an old guy?" 8)

Years ago, an old guy in an Ercoupe landed here to get gas right after a big rainstorm. A deputy sheriff showed up looking for him just after he left. He had landed on a dirt road to wait out the weather and someone called it in as a plane crash.

Back