• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anyone have experince with AQUA 3190s ?????

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I have flown various EDOs, PKs, Wips, Baumann and Aerocets. But I have NO experience with AQUA 3190s. Does anyone have any input... ???

It is like NOBODY has ever owned or used a set..... Weird....

Last edited:
That's a good price for a set of floats. Since the picture makes them look like they are in decent shape, I assume that the price reflects their popularity. The water line indicates that they have plenty of buoyancy. Alex if you can get the serial numbers, call Terry Claggett and ask him whether they are the newer models or What? You might also try to find out if the bottom angle from the keel to the chine is less than the PKs. The PKs are good in rough water but the high bottom angle makes them not as good in smooth water in a small pond.
http://aquafloat.com/contact-us/

There is also another set just 65 miles north of me. I am heading up to look at them now. They have been stored inside a hangar for years. These were made in 1982.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/avo/d/aqua-3190-floats/6552170265.html

I sent an e-mail to Terry last night but no answer yet.

One thing about PKs and smooth water, they are wide and step turn like you are on railroad tracks. I was able to step-turn my way out of many smaller lakes with the PKs on glassy water.

Attachments

• Step Turn 172.jpg
    Step Turn 172.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Just a guess on my part but I would think that 1982 would be the later style, whatever that is.

I had a pond next to my airport where I launched seaplanes. I installed a new set of PK 3500s on a new 206 and flew it out of this pond, light on fuel and with only one seat. Never again. The pond is 900 feet long. The 206 jumped right up on the step, but would not accelerate to take off speed. I had to go to full flaps to break water. I also flew a no flap 1933 Stinson SR Reliant on 4000s out of that pond. It was a lot better than the 206 on PKs.

If you have no choice but to go straight out in a small pond I would not recommend PKs. EDOs no sweat. It's all in the shape of the bottoms.

The rear fittings on those Aquas look just like the EDO rear fittings, You may be able to use your existing fittings without changing.

There is a BIG difference between the older PK-3500s and the PK-3500C models. The dead rise angle is better on the C models and they added another Hydro Booster to each side. ( four per float )

One things that worries me able the Aquas is that I do not think they use anything to break up the water like the vee shaped boosters. ( i think EDO calls them a super charger)

I just had to buy a new truck. The truck down payment was the money I had been saving for a set of AEROCET 3500Ls.... That would have fixed the problem...

I am on hold again with Aqua. Another big question is: DO THE AQUA'S work with the 3190 pound Kenmore gross weight STC on a late model 180 ?????

The PKs which went on the 206 would have been the later version.

Look up the STC for the Aquas as well as the STC for your Kenmore mods. If there is no restriction mentioned then they would be eligible on your 180. I would assume that they are eligible since they are approved on both the 180 & 185.

Well, they said they would call me back... They needed more info about my engine and prop.
Apparently some of the changes that were made over the years were changes to the bottoms & boosters, adding another bulkhead, making the bottom metal thicker, adding a few more strengthening brackets inside. Plus they changed the corrosion preventative they used sometime along the line.
and eliminating the old air tubes they used to have from the top deck to the keels. It was an attempt to suck air down along the keel and it did not work.

The 3190s are 19 feet, and 1.5 inches long from the back bulkhead to the back end of the bumper. I need to measure my 2960s for a comparison.

MEANWHILE::::
I am making slow but steady progress with resurrecting the old 2960s. One photo shows the cracked and de-lamninating automotive Bondo under the surface. The other photo shows one side after several courses of stripper and scrapping. You can still see some of the Bondo areas. I must have scraped off 5 pounds of Bondo from this one side. And I know the previous owner also removed a bunch of old Bondo when he owned them.

Attachments

• 2012-12-31 056 (1280x959).jpg
    2012-12-31 056 (1280x959).jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 2012-12-31 065 (1280x749).jpg
    2012-12-31 065 (1280x749).jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 139
And of course I cannot find the text for that anyplace. The floats themselves claim a max aircraft gross eight of 3320 pounds.

SA328CERobert A & Robert T & Hermoine B ClaggettInstall Model 180-185 aqua floats.3A24 -- Cessna Aircraft Company --A185E,A185F,185D,185C,185B,185A,185,185E 
SA349CERobert A & Robert T & Hermoine B ClaggettInstallation of Aqua Model 180-85 floats.5A6 -- Cessna Aircraft Company --180,180A,180B,180C,180D,180E,180F,180G,180H,180J,180K 

Comments: http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=93079

Another thing I was told this morning is that Aqua changed the struts at some point because people were complaining about the older models being nose low compared to some EDO installations. (diggng)
But then again, I have personally witnessed a pilot on Aerocets repeatedly try to kill himself during landings and take-offs because he had no idea what he was doing.

Still waiting on word from Aqua regarding the gross weight and if it will work with my Kenmore STC.

Well this is a start:

Hello Alex,
I've fired off an email to the FAA asking them for their opinion. We have so many of these questions, and their take on most STC mods is that if the modification of the aircraft has not changed the model designation (your J model is still a J) , and there are no adverse flight characteristics, then it is ok (with the prop clearance thing we'd mentioned). I'll let you know what they say. The 3190 is approved to 2950 on your J model as is, and there is no difference between the installation for the 180 and the 185, which is approved to 3320, so the floats will take it just fine. Sorry we can't give you a definitive answer, but the world of STCs is a foggy place.

Best Regards,
Helen and Terry Claggett
Aqua Float Company

I looked at both of the STCs which Gary posted and neither of them is showing the complete verbiage. Some STCs from the FAA web site do show the entire verbiage but these two do not. Terry is covering his rear but basically since the floats are approved at the higher weight on the 185 there would be no weight limitation on the 180. Without seeing the actual STC with something telling me otherwise, I would have no reservations in signing off the installation on your plane.

They would be legal to install since they are approved. Whether or not the gross weight remains legal at 3190 pounds would be an interesting question.
My Kenmore STC says 3190 pounds on EDO 2960s. WipAire has their STC for Wip-3000s which specially says that it is compatible with Kenmore's STC http://www.kenmoreairharbor.com/uploads/9/6/8/3/9683162/sa649nw_ref.pdf
Aerocet did the same thing with their 3500L STC.
I also asked PK and have received no answer.

I guess another route would be to field approve them at the higher gross weight based upon their installation in C-185s and so-on.

Just in case I am still stripping and scrubbing the old 2960s

Attachments

• 2012-12-31 060 (1280x707).jpg
    2012-12-31 060 (1280x707).jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 160
If it would not be under-floated, she would really rip out of the water on an old light set of 2870s....

My Kenmore STC says 3190 pounds on EDO 2960s. WipAire has their STC for Wip-3000s which specially says that it is compatible with Kenmore's STC http://www.kenmoreairharbor.com/uploads/9/6/8/3/9683162/sa649nw_ref.pdf
Aerocet did the same thing with their 3500L STC.

I guess another route would be to field approve them at the higher gross weight based upon their installation in C-185s and so-on.
The Kenmore STC is specific as to which model floats are applicable at the higher gross weight. Unless Terry can come up with something in writing from the FAA you would be limited to the lower weight. You could approach the FAA with all three of the STCs, using them as a basis they may be willing to give you a field approval at the 3190 lb weight.

It looks as though you will need to use the 2960s if you want to operate at 3190 lbs without getting further certification of some sort.

It looks like Aerocet just added a sentence to their STC SA00137SE It looks like they amended it back in 2008

"Those Cessna Model 180G, 180H, 180J and 180K airplanes equipped with the structural modifications defined in Kenmore Air Harbor STC No.
SA649NW, Amendment dated July 14, 1984, may be operated on Aerocet Model 3500 or 3500L floats
at gross weights up to 3190 lbs., subject to the limitations specified in Aerocet SAFM No. A-10022
(180G and 180H), or A-10023 (180J and 180K), each dated January 22, 2001, or later FAA approved
revision."

skywagon8a, my old-time bush pilot friend, Henry Gates operating in northern Quebec, said the Reliant was his favourite aircraft for everything, floats, skis and wheels.

Well I have confirmation from AEROCET and WIPAIRE that their floats comply with the gross weight increase afforded by SA649SW. They specially mention it in the latest versions of their STCs.

I also have confirmation that PK does not, nor do they plan to pursue it. Aqua does not currently, but they are looking into pursuing it.

Had 2 sets of them on 185's quite a few years back. The only thing that I liked was the flat tops. They really seemed to resist getting on the step with a heavy load and seemed to be prone to lots of leaks. Poorly designed in my option. Very difficult to get rid of. When old sets of 2960's were selling for $15,000 you could buy a mint set of 3190's for around $7000. Never saw anyone running them commercially. I wouldn't trade a set of beat up 2960's for a set of mint 3190's.

It looks like I will be stuck with the 2960s until I can find / afford some Aerocets. The Straight Wip 3000s cost darn near as much as the Aerocets.

As much as I like the Aerocets now I still really liked the 2960's. They are fast in the air and preform great once you get used to how to fly them. Not a fan of Whips. To short in the gear legs so prone to a lot of prop erosion. Sooner have a set of old 3430's.

It looks like I will be stuck with the 2960s until I can find / afford some Aerocets. The Straight Wip 3000s cost darn near as much as the Aerocets.

"stuck with"? Hmmmm, 2960's are a very good float. They require a technique for best performance which is not difficult to learn or accomplish. Great performing float and fast. The only float I would consider replacing 2960's on your 180 would be Aerocets. In the mean time until you can afford a set of Aerocets I don't think you will be terribly disappointed with the 2960's.

Kurt

Another vote for 2960s. Learn to fly them, keep them within legal load limits, and you’ll learn to like them. I only flew a 185 on 3190s once many years ago, and they didn’t impress me at all, but I wasn’t sure it was floats, rigging, or airplane.

Put those old EDOs to work....they’ll teach you a lot, and work hard in the process.

MTV

Back