• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Heavy Duty Axles - Airforms vs Cessna

180_jeff

I think it is long overdue to install a set of heavy duty axles. I was checking out the price and I am wondering if Cessna lowered their price. Their price is actually lower than Airforms. Is there any advantage to the Airforms axle, or is it the same as OEM?

Last edited:
I’ve always been told to go with Airforms for strength, etc. So I did. Just installed HD axles from McFarlane (Airforms) and ABI HD brakes on my ‘54 C-180. Great improvement over my single puck Cleveland’s.

Lou

Looks like Spruce also has the Airforms steel axles, for a bit less money.
FWIW I've heard reports of the old hollow aluminum axles failing, but doubt very many people still run those.
Don't think I've ever heard of the solid aluminum axles failing.
But steel seems like it'd be better yet.

Any further thoughts on this? I’m interested in the upgraded steel axles. We’re steel axles an factory option at any point?
Seems like a couple more lbs well worth the comfort in strength.
[h=2][FONT=&quot]1441003-1
[/FONT]
298$/ea on cessnadirect.com[/h]
0541124-1 axle for 918.90$/ea on cessnadirect.com

from what I can tell [FONT=&quot]1441003-1 is the steel axle number but not sure based on price difference.
thanks in advance
[/FONT]

Any further thoughts on this? I’m interested in the upgraded steel axles. Were steel axles a factory option at any point?
1441003-1
298$/ea on cessnadirect.com

from what I can tell 1441003-1 is the steel axle number but not sure based on price difference.
thanks in advance

The steel axles were always an option and were called 'heavy duty' (ref p/n 1441003-1). (As opposed to the "standard duty", solid Al ones - ref p/n 0541124-1.) I wound up picking up a set of NOS Cessna ones instead of the more expensive Airforms. (Thanks for lowering the price, Textron!)

Any further thoughts on this? I’m interested in the upgraded steel axles. We’re steel axles an factory option at any point?
1441003-1
298$/ea on cessnadirect.com

cessnadirect takes you to a Yingling website.

Airpower Inc sells the same Cessna p/n 1441003-1 axle for about the same price ($295)
http://www.airpowerinc.com/productcart/pc/prodparts.asp?catid=108&subcat=108&mfgid=&prodid=430141

Spruce & Skygeek sell the Airforms steel axle for a bit more.

Googled p/n 0541124-1 ….. looks like a solid aluminum axle?
Not sure why those would cost more -- supply vs demand maybe?
FWIW here's some used ones for $75 each:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0541124-1-Cessna-182-Main-Landing-Gear-Axle-ALUMINUM-/252469147077

Cessnadirect is Yingling's ecommerce site. Lately, AirPower has been a couple of percent lower on price compared to Yingling, that's true.

The Cessna steel axles have a machined bearing stop.

This must be removed for Airglas straight ski installations, with a sleeve bearing stop installed in its place for the wheel installation FYI

I dont recall if Airforms has the machined stop per Cessna or supplies a sleeve stop. sorry I dont have a photo (a thousand words). :)

Back