• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Portable GPS

cplne

Hey All, I’m panel space challenged and looking to mount a small portable GPS in a cradle. I have just enough room below the Transponder maybe. I don’t need to be shooting a RNAV approach to LPV minimims😂, just need to get through Canada as Foreflite doesn’t offer sectionals. Im leaning towards a Garmin area 660 but if there is a less expensive option I would appreciate your input

The 660 is a very capable GPS far better in my opinion than any of the 500 series. Among other things, it will send and receive flight plans with ForeFlight

Last year Foreflite didn’t offer whatever a Canadian sectional is called. The airports displayed and Weather was available. I’ll shoot them a message

Fltplan.com and their mobile app FltPlan Go.

Works awesome on phones and tablets, and has free Canadian charts. I've been using it for years.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The PA 12 we just bought came with an "I fly" GPS. We use a suction cup mount on the right windshield (just ahead of the door post). It has many features like fuel prices enroute, etc.

After my 296 finally started having issues I upgraded to the 660. I also put an Ipad in the panel during the rebuild. And now, this week I added a Garmin GDL-50. The three of them work very well together. I got a Aera 550 with the cub when I originally bought it and quickly went back to the 296. I really wish the 296 was still supported and I would still own one.

Ya my 396 died otherwise I would put it in the Cruiser. Upgraded to Canada on Foreflight but still don’t see VNC charts

My 196 is still going strong, picked it up cheap ten years ago - good battery life on 4 AAs

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I think they still support them too--
I got the database updated in my 196 just 3 years ago or so.

I use the 295, 296, and 496. They are perfect. I just tried the Aera 500, and liked it, but it died about five hours into the trip. Cheap Chinese battery probably pissed it off. The 496 was my backup.

I have used all the "96" units, the 560 and some others. I have a 660 and really like it. The 796 is a very nice unit but you have to have the room for its bigger size.

I bought a 660, and it is really nice.
But, I am not pleased that when I plug my XM antenna into it, it does not show weather. Not designed to do that, like my 496 was.
Should have confirmed that little detail first.
Garmin claimed that they were going to update the software to add that capability, but they never did. Now you have to buy a separate receiver..

Decided on the area 660 but don’t have the panel space to mount it in an air gizmo. My Go Flight has nice mounts that should work on the V Brace, what are you guys using.

I prefer not to do in panel mount. My 795 is service mounted vertically right below the V brace, so bottom half would cover a large gauge hole. Just sit in the plane and move the 660 around until you like it.
DENNY

I finaly converted my cub to a glass panel. Only cost me some velcro and an old garmin 196 i bought when it was the new thing.
20170726_053422.jpg
0929170802a.jpg

Attachments

• 20170726_053422.jpg
    20170726_053422.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 0929170802a.jpg
    0929170802a.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 201
Decided on the area 660 but don’t have the panel space to mount it in an air gizmo. My Go Flight has nice mounts that should work on the V Brace, what are you guys using.

I just used a ram clamp mount for both the 660 using the garmin mount, and inreach. Works very well.

_N8A9298.jpg

Attachments

• _N8A9298.jpg
    _N8A9298.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 311
After my 296 finally started having issues I upgraded to the 660. I also put an Ipad in the panel during the rebuild. And now, this week I added a Garmin GDL-50. The three of them work very well together. I got a Aera 550 with the cub when I originally bought it and quickly went back to the 296. I really wish the 296 was still supported and I would still own one.

Yes I love my 296 and 496. I'm not a fan of touch screens in the cockpit, but that's me.

I have a plate mounted over a 2 1/4” hole that extends above the panel with the Garmin bare wire mount. Plate came that way with the cub and a Garmin 500. I’ve upgraded to the 660. I now have my 406 ELT and EI FP-5L accepting GPS data from the 660 (FP-5L is being installed now).

Jeff

IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 161
I have a plate mounted over a 2 1/4” hole that extends above the panel with the Garmin bare wire mount. Plate came that way with the cub and a Garmin 500. I’ve upgraded to the 660. I now have my 406 ELT and EI FP-5L accepting GPS data from the 660 (FP-5L is being installed now).

Jeff

View attachment 36682
View attachment 36683

Any issues with the unit getting hot and shutting down, my 796 does not like to have direct sunshine on the back of the unit and is similar mounted in my 180.

Any issues with the unit getting hot and shutting down, my 796 does not like to have direct sunshine on the back of the unit and is similar mounted in my 180.

Not so far. But then I fly out of Fairbanks so heat is not an issue very often [emoji846].

here's my setup with a 500, I like it other then the map detail which changes depending on how much you're zoomed in, when set where I like it most of the water detail is gone including some coves and arms of a large lake I do most of my flying on. I do all float flying so not being able to see any lakes is really annoying considering this part of Labrador has A LOT of water.

Attachments

• 20170727_132931.jpg
    20170727_132931.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 150
OLDCROWE
My 795 (high center mount) will also get hot from the sun and defroster, I usually just stick my gloves behind it to block the sun/heat and it solves the problem.
DENNY

Back