Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Valdez Fly In May 11-13

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Valdez Fly In May 11-13

Hi All
    The 15th Annual Valdez Fly In is going to be another great event! We have a slight schedule change. The Poker Run/Bonfire on the beach is going to be on the afternoon of Friday May 11th due to favorable tides. You will be able to start in Valdez or fly directly out to Hinchinbrook. We will have some seminars on Friday afternoon as well. The pilot roundtable will be Saturday morning and the STOL competition in the afternoon with the dinner at night. Sunday morning will be the flour bombing and Sunday afternoon the airshow. Once again Gary Ward will be joining us for aerobatics. Gary's performance against the mountain behind the airport is not to be missed! Scott Sexton will be here with his Decathlon and Evert's will once again be demonstrating the C-46. That is one impressive STOL machine!

I will try to put updates on here and we will also post them to the website. Please watch for radio frequencies and traffic instruction before the event. We are working hard to once again having an operating control tower. There will be special frequencies to use however. Stand by for those as well as the event schedule.

We will have a booth at the Airmen's show again, stop by if you are visiting.
    See you in Valdez!
    Joe
    Last edited by SJ; 04-03-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    Likes J5Ron, FdxLou, Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe
    I am looking forward to another great year!! Thanks in advance for all the hard work!!!
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Valdez Fly In Schedule of Events

Hi All attached is the schedule of events for the 2018 Valdez Fly In. The big change this year is the Beach Landing is going to be Friday afternoon due to tides.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post
    Likes J5Ron liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180503_092045.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	36845

I'm sick of the white **** this bums me out.
    Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scout88305 View Post

Name:	20180503_092045.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	36845

I'm sick of the white **** this bums me out.
    Ha! Try living here....it white or it wet....

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't bother looking at the forecast until a few days out. Even then it can change.
    DENNY
    Likes J5Ron, Tgskillskill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The National Weather Service forecast area now includes Thompson Pass. They will forecast snow and temps that are consistently 10 degrees or more colder than town all year. Weather Underground for one is useless here.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_8511.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	339.6 KB 
ID:	36893

I guess I posted this in wrong thread before

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Storms have been active all year. Been blowing and cold here, to the point I think it is fall.

Was headed to Anchorage for the show... nope- crap weather. Was going to Sitka to do a test flight, nope- crap weather.

Next weekend? maybe I will head to Valdez for a trip... but I suspect it will be a weathered out deal again.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    New Dalton solar minimum, wait for 2050...*

*to tunnel out from under the snow....

I wish I was kidding.....
    Likes mike mcs repair, C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fobjob View Post
    New Dalton solar minimum, wait for 2050...*

*to tunnel out from under the snow....

I wish I was kidding.....
    I've been following the Helio scientist for a while. 2020-2050 is going to be chilly. Glad I got skis last year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes PA-12 on Baumanns liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Valdez Update
    Hi All
    Right now we have 8 planes here already including Gary Ward. Frank Knapp is also here and practicing. This evening I met a fellow from Iceland who is here to watch the event and we will have 3 cubs that came all the way from Florida!

The weather forecasts are all over the place, 15 apps, 15 opinions but Friday does look pretty wet. The forecasts from the NWS and evidently from what many other apps use are for the Valdez Forecast area and this includes Thompson Pass. They will frequently show the expected temperatures as much as 10 degrees colder than they are in town. Also the chance of rain means for rain in any part of the forecast zone. Since the NWS has taken the forecasters out of Valdez it has been a little frustrating to see anything accurate. That said Friday looks wet at the least. Saturday and Saturday afternoon look better. Check with Flight Service and the weather cams before you consider going. We would love to have you here but don't push the weather. If you are driving check the Thompson Pass road cam on 511.com.

The Poker Run/Beach Landing is scheduled for Friday afternoon. It looks questionable as the weather is running right into Hinchinbrook. We will make that final call around 3 tomorrow afternoon. The briefing is online and if it is on you can fly directly to the beach and register when you get back to Valdez. TruTrak has donated an autopilot for the prize, this is a $5,000 value!! Wow, thanks for that. They are wanting to get the word out on their unit that is certified for 172, 175, 177, PA-28 and 32 right now with 180, 182, and 185 soon among others. If we fly or not you still may get a poker hand and we will do the drawing Saturday night at the banquet.

We MAY delay the start and deadlines of the STOL contest on Saturday if it looks like that will allow more planes to attend. We have great prizes again, Shocks, Bushwheels, Dynon certificate, Tanis Engine heater, and a Stratus ADS-B device among many others. If you are wanting to come but think you may not make it by the deadline call me at 831-0058 and I will get you registered. The streaming set up we have this year is going to mean there will be lots of people watching. Last year we had more than 80,000 and it was a last minute set up.

The dinner is going to be at the Civic Center and Glen Anderson a comedian from Fairbanks will be the entertainment. There will be a bus to get you from the terminal to the Civic Center.

The pilot seminars start at 2pm Friday. I will be having a BBQ at our hangar on the west end. I have Brats, Chicken, chips and drinks. Bring a "dish" if you like but NOT mandatory, please just stop by!
    Last edited by jprax; 05-10-2018 at 03:37 AM.
    Thanks Barnstormer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the link to watch the "stream?" I looked on site website and didn't see anything (doesn't mean the link isn't there...just that my eyes didn't notice it )

Thank you!
    Thanks Eddy Lewis thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tedwaltman1 View Post
    What is the link to watch the "stream?" I looked on site website and didn't see anything (doesn't mean the link isn't there...just that my eyes didn't notice it )

Thank you!
    The STOL Competition will stream on the Valdez Fly-In Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/valdezflyin/

CubCrafters is a proud sponsor of the Valdez Fly-In & Air Show and the STOL Competition live stream. Competition is scheduled to begin at 12 PM Saturday, May 12. Here is the schedule:

12:00 Heavy Touring Class
    12:15 Light Touring Class
    12:30 Light Sport Class
    13:15 Bush Class Prelims
    13:30 Alternate Bush Class
    15:00 Bush Class Final

Good luck flyers!
    Likes mike mcs repair, Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	20180512_091259.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	37005
    Likes mike mcs repair, jrussl, barbwire, Oceana liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    live now

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary Ward was awesome.

I figured some DUDE would hop outta that plane.

Nope! a cool 70- something guy who was ripping and tumbling. completely awesome plane and performance
    Likes Steve Pierce, Farmboy, jprax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are the results and vids, I was out of coverage las night for the live coverage
    http://spaincub.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    That green Carbon Cub had some amazing take-offs. Good landings too.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks tbone, rod schrage thanked for this post
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Valdez bound? No idea. Say a prayer. http://www.ktva.com/story/38176770/p...-overdue-plane

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    That green Carbon Cub had some amazing take-offs. Good landings too.

Toby's green CC was on display at OSH last year, I expect it will be there this year as well.
    He had a NOX bottle mounted externally, not sure if it was for show or real. I spoke with Toby at one point but at the time did not realize he owned that plane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Different styles for takeoffs but really good competition with Toby Ashley and Chuck Kinberger in the alternate class. With Toby it’s just advance power, pull flaps and levitate.

I was at my daughters dance recital but Valdez FB page has all the live video recorded and posted. Condensed version posted below.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Last edited by Farmboy; 05-13-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    Thanks SpainCub thanked for this post
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Condensed Bush Class and Alternate Class

Edit - Added the Maule footage to the end of this video. Starts at 22:00
    Last edited by Farmboy; 05-13-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    Thanks Pete Schoeninger, Olibuilt, mike mcs repair thanked for this post
    Likes Bowie, jprax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    On a side note, the Issac fellow from Bethel (I think) bought a new Maule, flew it home from the factory a week ago, entered Valdez and nailed it. Feathers in both of their hats for that.

I need to watch the whole event recording, but I didn’t see Brad Fly the XCub in an event?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a link to the full video? I would like to see the new Maule that was at the show compete.

Thanks,
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny thing about the Maule deal is that we tried to get them to do some similar things in the late 90s and they never got it done.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting Steve. There’s a little video clip from the awards banquet maybe with something about Wup Winn suggesting or providing direction as to what mods were to be done. Wonder what that sold for.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks bush4 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Interesting Steve. There’s a little video clip from the awards banquet maybe with something about Wup Winn suggesting or providing direction as to what mods were to be done. Wonder what that sold for.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    where is the link to that? I know that he spoke about on another site 6 things that could be done ....

Post Thanks / Like
    C-46- Heavy Hauler class? Great watching those guys work the old iron... they still work that bird daily!

Yes, Isaac is from Bethel, has a 135 and guide service: God's Country Aviation.

I was told the Maule was roughly $360k; it was a project with lots of input from Wup at Backcountry Connection.

Brent Maule has been up to the last couple of Airman shows, and gotten taken out by the local Maule Mafia and shown what the planes get used for up here. Some of what we are seeing is their realization that grass strip hamburger guys are not the only market out there.

Lets hope that Maule continues to develop off airport aircraft, currently they are the only 4 place factory certified bird that will do the job; at least that I know of.

Should I mention that Isaac is is a talented pilot, or was it obvious watching the videos?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpainCub View Post
    where is the link to that? I know that he spoke about on another site 6 things that could be done ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joemcd View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the full video? I would like to see the new Maule that was at the show compete.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe, added the Maule footage to the earlier video. Starts at 22:00 min mark.

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, that is a great flying Muale and pilot.... but it still amazes me the original SuperCub formula what is able to bring.... those guys just hit it on the nose the first time at around. Some day I’d like to see the event in person...even participate

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Valdez Fly In Official Results

The 2018 Event was a huge success. Some airplanes arrived early in the week and even though the weather forecast was poor, once again the weather was fine for the events. We were able to do the beach landing and got in all the events Saturday and Sunday. Gary Ward's aerobatic routine against the backdrop of the mountain behind the airport is not to be missed. The C-46 demonstration of a real working STOL cargo hauler was awesome. We measured a 520 foot take off and they could not use max power. Saturday saw around 70 planes on the field which was impressive given the weather forecast. In the 15 years of the fly in weather has NEVER been predicted to be good but in 14 of the 15 we have had good weather. Weather forecasts for Valdez have become increasingly erroneous. The forecast area includes a huge area of the Chugach Mountains so the temps are forecast there as well as the type and chance of precipitation. The phone apps often predict snow into June for this reason. Of course the weather was poor in route to Valdez. I am bummed at the accident that happened evidently on the way to the event. Certainly we want people to come, but we don't want people taking unnecessary risks. I have no speculation on what happened but our prayers are certainly with the family and friends of the pilot. It appears from a picture that he may have attended the event last year, or at lest the plane was here.

We had time so this year we added an extra run at the beginning for practice. The controllers really moved people through expeditiously and I thought that it went well. The crowd seemed to love it. Dan Reynolds set a landing record of 9.5 feet in his Challenger and Frank set a new record take off in 11 feet in Little Cub. The winds were 10-12 kts for most of the contest but it was not the steady sea breeze we normally get so the pilots had to work a little harder. There was exceptional flying demonstrated in all categories. I especially like the "run what you brung" in the touring classes. Fly what you have well, and these pilots did.

If you have any suggestions for the event please feel free to send them to me, jprax@alaska.net. Did you like the practice round? How did you like the venue for dinner? Please feel free to send me any ideas you have. Thank you to all the pilots and spectators who attended and literally the more than 100,000 who watched on the live streaming from around the world. Make planes to attend for the 16th annual event May 10-12, 2019. The weather forecast right now says it will be Sunny, mid 60's with a steady 10kt breeze out of the west....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks Brandsman thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, fancypants liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    @Dave Calkins nice flying and bird!
    Thanks Dave Calkins thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have info in this plane?

Post Thanks / Like
    L13 made by Stinson, I loved watching him descend
    Likes mike mcs repair, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes SpainCub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine had one with a radial on it.
    http://eaavintage.org/wp-content/upl...ultee-L-13.pdf
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers