• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

3 inch gear question

Beaverpilot

Manitoba Canada
I’m looking at the Airframes 3” gear for my project. Those of you that have extended gear. Did you have to extend the cabane vee or change the geometry in any way. In other words can I use the stock vee?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Yes the stock cabane will work but you will need longer shock struts

Since the topics been brought up....and has been discussed ad nauseam. What flavor are people preferring now for extended gear? Atlee, Airframes or CC

I Seem to recall the once company down south did not have as good of HD support with gussets, but that information is old now.

I always ran Atlee gear. Reliable, and would take care of issues if there was one. The one situation I do recall was getting new gear with the structural cross piece (built for up-gross birds). The cross brace would not work with the belly tank filler neck of the right side.

Called Steve, sent it back and it was fixed and returned with great speed and perfect welds.

Great service since the days of Atlee, even when he would tell me some of the stuff I was doing wrong.:lol:8)

I have airframes 3” extended with atlee long step on the right and short fueling step on left. The short fueling step is worthless in my opinion.

Very happy with airframes parts. I just got a quote today from airframes for the same gear and there steps.

Atlee Dodge for me. Install Airframes gear and then start doing some measuring. A lazer bore site gauge with some custom turned fixtures for the attach fittings and the axels will reveal a lot.

Attach points out of alignment by as much as 3/8" and the right axle is 3/4" further forward than the left on a new fuselage. Slow dancing and hand grenades. ;)

Attach points out of alignment by as much as 3/8" and the right axle is 3/4" further forward than the left on a new fuselage. Slow dancing and hand grenades. ;)

I’m not into slow dancing, I do like hand grenades!! Seeing that I have a semi square cub.....these might line up perfectly!! Lol
Actually who were the three Mfrs in the testing? A, B, and HD.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

who's? airframes?
Yes, I see Stewart deleted his post so makes mine look odd.

The 1 1/2" gear is Atlee Dodge as is the stronger of the two HD gear. I have pointed out this misalignment before to Airframes and not sure if the jigs were ever changed. My understanding is Lee obtained the Atlee Dodge jigs from Jensen after the fire in a round about deal so Atlee built another set of jigs. Jensen was building Atlee's gear many years ago.

I went with Airframes 3" extended about 4 years ago - fit perfectly in my 1954 Pa18 L21B, perfectly aligned. Airframes are great to deal with.

I have a 3 sets of Atlee 3" extended gear. The first set I bought from Atlee over 20 years ago, they have gingerbread instead of the structural cross piece. At the time Atlee was making the axles in his shop and sending them South to Jensen to complete the gear. The other two sets are the newer style with the structural cross brace with a set setup with brackets for wheelskis and another new set for spares. I believe in going with who started and did all the legwork to get something legal and not with a copy of someones hard work. Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe Atlee started 1.5" axles and 3" extended gear. In one of the many exchanges of wisdom I received from Atlee he said to never weld a step across the gear leg tubes because of the amount of flexing during ski operations. He said wherever there is a welded hard point you will be acceptable to cracks. His reason for using clamp to hold on his steps.

So in regards to the cabane vee what diameter of tube is the norm. Plans show both 3/4 and 7/8 same tube thickness? Going to build it this week

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The Atlee Dodge Cabane and shock struts on my -12 are 7/8. Dunno the wall though.

Edit: I have standard length -18 gear on my -12.

Last edited:
What about the mounting bolts. I’ve read somewhere that people are using 5/16

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The bolts on my cabane are 3/8 except where mounting to the fuselage looks like 5/16. However - it's hard to see and harder to reach without pulling fairings, so I'm going to say "I think that's right".

I’ve had 3” HD gear from Atlee, old Airframes, and new Airframes. They’re all good. I like the intermediate step in the new Super Duty gear. I’ve scratched my head about why standard axle nuts won’t thread onto this new gear. I was going to use some TruLocks I’ve had sitting around but they don’t fit this new Airframes gear. Neither will other typical 1-1/2” axle nuts. If you buy new Airframes gear, make sure to get their nuts. They’re the only ones that fit!

IMG_5095.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5095.JPG
    IMG_5095.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Back