Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Information: 2018 Johnson Creek Super Cub Fly In

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Official Information: 2018 Johnson Creek Super Cub Fly In

Name:  Johnson Creek Banner.jpg
Views: 3683
Size:  317.9 KB

Lots of folks have been asking about the when, where, who, how, what of the 2018 Johnson Creek Fly In.

AS IT WAS LAST YEAR, THE IDAHO DEPARTMENT OF AVIATION HAS ASKED US TO LIMIT THIS EVENT TO EIGHTY AIRPLANES

Here is the preliminary info!

1. Where - Johnson Creek Idaho - 3U2 (Airfield.Guide Link)
    2. When - June 14 - 17 (catered or prepared dinners on Friday and Saturday only)
    3. What - Johnson Creek Super Cub (and other planes) Fly In!
    4. Who - The first eighty planes to register in advance for the event.
    5. How - By plane or by car

OTHER THINGS WE KNOW
    1. Big dinner on Friday night
    2. Big Dinner provided by our long time sponsor CubCrafters on Saturday night!
    3. We are working logistics for the raffle.

MORE INFORMATION WILL BE COMING AS WE HAVE IT!

Don't forget the other events during Big Tires and Campfires week!
    The Spearfish Thursday Get Together
    The Missouri Breaks Fly In
    Last edited by SJ; 03-28-2018 at 06:38 AM.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks AJCruiser thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Winifred too? Where is the register button?
    Last edited by jaypratt; 03-28-2018 at 06:30 AM.
    Jay Pratt
    Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Winifred is the Breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by jaypratt View Post
    Winifred too?
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Sign me up!

Now, can I make it this year???? Trying hard, and hope to bring a young-un; kidnapped of course

So, watch your language, he things he wants to be a pilot, don't tell him how much fun it is.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sign-up link?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by windy View Post
    Sign-up link?

Hopefully mid-late April. Working out some details yet.

sj
    Thanks charlie husky thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    SJ, has Ralph confirmed there is a Winifred fly-in this year?

The AOPA Regional fly-in is in Missoula this year that same weekend. And the RAF has scheduled a fly-in for backcountry interests, who go to the AOPA event, at Seeley Lake then also. A lot of similar attractions going on at the same time in the same general area.
    Last edited by spinner2; 03-29-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    SJ, has Ralph confirmed there is a Winifred fly-in this year?
    Dan, I spoke with Ralph yesterday. He just had his hip replaced, but is on the mend and planning on us all meeting up in Winifred once again! He should be making a post about it soon.

sj
    Thanks spinner2, cubscout, FdxLou thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There will also be a lot of activities going on in Lewistown the same weekend as the Winifred deal. There'll be a B-17 in Lewistown, at the WW II B-17 hangar, with period music, dance, etc. This is all the weekend before Johnson Creek. Might be worth a longer visit to LWT as well.

MTV
    Likes FdxLou, spinner2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Hopefully mid-late April. Working out some details yet.

sj
    Is one of those a direct pay from Uncle Eaton's credit card?

Mike, GREAT INFORMATION! Wow, I would love to see the B17 but doubt I will have time to take two weekends off Maybe they want to come to McAll and hitch a ride to JC?

Post Thanks / Like
    When will we be able to register for Johnson creek fly in ?
    thanks
    Mike T

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skycrawler View Post
    When will we be able to register for Johnson creek fly in ?
    thanks
    Mike T
    Mid to late April

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the Idaho airport 3-4 years ago that was used instesd of Johnson Creek for the Super Cub Flyin ( maybe a little longer).

Post Thanks / Like

Official Information: 2018 Johnson Creek Super Cub Fly In

Quote Originally Posted by arnold bronson View Post
    What was the Idaho airport 3-4 years ago that was used instesd of Johnson Creek for the Super Cub Flyin ( maybe a little longer).
    2006 was at Minam River in Oregon
    2007 was at Sullivan Lake in Washington

Post Thanks / Like
    Arnold, the "other" backcountry flying website has held an event at other Idaho airports...

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your patience, folks! We are finalizing a bunch of details and should be rolling out registration soon!

sj
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Johnson creek

Quote Originally Posted by windy View Post
    Sign-up link?

Hi wendy, How do we sign up for johnson creek. Thanks Dayna & Marc
    t-cart n43643

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay tuned... sign up is close! Should start next week.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry all, there was an error in the Raffle Ts and Cs. You do not have to be a US resident to win Raffle prizes. The Ts and Cs will be fixed soon.
    Boise Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I was not surprised that this was here (see below) but by my own account they can not close these airstrips. I was sent a violation for landing and camping at Vines the summer before last. I almost just paid the ticket not really feeling like making multiple trips over to the Idaho court house to fight it even though I knew I was within my rights. After reading the fine print of what I was pleading guilty to by paying it I was not feeling great about that option either. Then someone suggested contacting the Idaho Backcountry Pilots Assoc. and they were a great resource. In the end they had a lawyer that did everything needed to get the violation thrown out. I have the paper work filed here in case I need it again as my mind has become a little fuzzy over all the details which took place over a few months.

I will not stop landing and or camping at these places if I decide I want to. The USFS has no right to close them or imply they are closed. Personally I think all 80 aircraft should land at Mile High, Dewey Moore, Vines, Simonds and then will see if they try to strong arm everyone that does at one time or just pick on a few like me that they think might cave and set some kind of precedence. See below for a cut and paste from the Johnson Creek Fly In details:

• There are, at my rough count, around seventy-four airstrips in Idaho - many just a short hop from Johnson Creek. Of those seventy-four, there are four that we have been specifically requested to avoid. These are not on the sectional chart in any form. These strips are Dewey Moore, Mile Hi, Simonds, and Vines (often referred to as the Big Creek Four). I had a conversation with Anthony Botello, who is the US Forest Service District Ranger for the area these strips are located in. Anthony said that the USFS is very proud of the airstrips they have in Idaho, but that the management plan that he is charged to follow says these strips are not open, and further that they are not maintained and are dangerous to aviation operations. He went on to say that it was possible the USFS would put X's or E's on these runways and that anyone found there might risk enforcement action. Based on this information, we would strongly encourage you to avoid these airstrips during your time in Idaho and instead point your nose toward one of the seventy other options.
    Likes SteveE, WA L16, STaylor2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d be willing to bet that this was just copied and pasted from last year’s fly-in details. I thought this issue was settled shortly after the 2017 fly-in and the strips were open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mauleguy, RIGHT ON!! I love the people there, but I also love to go to the other strips. I just didn’t want to deal with a ticket I knew I was gonna get. So, I haven’t been going since we were “warned”. Glad your deal worked out. It would be interesting to hear details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been updating on the members JC Fly in page, but I'll recap here, and future Raffle related posts will be here.

First up:
    Airframes Alaska has generously donated a set of tires again this year, but not limited to just Bushweels! The big prize winner can select from Ultralights, Airstreaks, or Bushwheels up to 31” (but excluding 35”). Shipping within the U.S. is included.

Airframes Alaska and, earlier, Alaska Bushweels, have been long time sponsors of the Fly-in. We're grateful for their support again this year.

Boise Steve
    Idaho Aviation Foundation
    Likes Superdan00 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew George of Aviator Supply will be supplying a recently announced inReach Mini! These are so new, they're not even available yet, so the winner may have to wait a bit for delivery.
    Aviator Supply (formerly Boise Pilot Shop) is a new sponsor this year. Welcome, and thanks again for the support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve's Aircraft is once again donating a Steve's Gascolator. I have one of these - it's awesome, and a definite safety benefit.

Name:  gascol5_sml.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  5.6 KB

Boise Steve
    Idaho Aviation Foundation

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect most folks headed towards Idaho have seen this. Agree or disagree with the content, it’s an interesting read on management of airports on public land. Note that it is a publication by the RAF. https://www.nifc.gov/aviation/BLMlib...ublicLands.pdf
    Thanks flylowslow, Gordon Misch, ChickenCub thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, as of this morning there are about 20 aircraft slots left.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauleguy View Post
    I was not surprised that this was here (see below) but by my own account they can not close these airstrips. I was sent a violation for landing and camping at Vines the summer before last. I almost just paid the ticket not really feeling like making multiple trips over to the Idaho court house to fight it even though I knew I was within my rights. After reading the fine print of what I was pleading guilty to by paying it I was not feeling great about that option either. Then someone suggested contacting the Idaho Backcountry Pilots Assoc. and they were a great resource. In the end they had a lawyer that did everything needed to get the violation thrown out. I have the paper work filed here in case I need it again as my mind has become a little fuzzy over all the details which took place over a few months.

I will not stop landing and or camping at these places if I decide I want to. The USFS has no right to close them or imply they are closed. Personally I think all 80 aircraft should land at Mile High, Dewey Moore, Vines, Simonds and then will see if they try to strong arm everyone that does at one time or just pick on a few like me that they think might cave and set some kind of precedence. See below for a cut and paste from the Johnson Creek Fly In details:
    I'm setting up the Big Raffle this year, but this is my personal opinion as a local pilot and should not be taken as representing IAF or IAA positions.

The Big Creek 4 are absolute jewels, with great fishing and camping. They are also fragile, unmaintained, and have tight parking. They are in an area that is sensitive both ecologically and politically. None of them are easy, but Simonds, in particular, has a high accident rate. They are suitable for accessing backcountry activities, but not crash and dash operations.

The BC 4 are subject to ongoing controversy involving the IAA, the RAF, the Forest Service, Idaho Aeronautics, and even the Idaho governor weighed recently in in support of keeping the airstrips open. The conflict got so bad that director of Idaho Aeronautics cancelled regular meetings of the Idaho Airport Network, in an apparent attempt to avoid discussing them (the IAN may be back together now).

Of course, IAA maintains that we have the right to land at the BC 4.

I enjoy poking the government in the eye as much as anyone. But before you bravely go with a gaggle of planes and engage in civil non-disobedience (we have the right to land there), ask yourself what message you are actually sending vs. what message you wish you were sending.

Documented overuse (e.g via trailcams), or heaven forbid, an accident would:

• Make Supercub.org and its members look bad
    • Make our Raffle sponsors look bad (Raffle and Dinner sponsors, some really big organizations)
    • Make the IAF look bad
    • Hand the Forest Service a solid public relations win

If you want to fly to the Big Creek 4, consider doing it at a time other than during a major fly in, park, then do something while you're there (e.g. fish). If you haven't been in to a strip before, consider flying with an instructor. Injuries aside, even minor incidents reflect badly on the effort to keep them open.

And, consider joining the IAA. Not only are they working this set of problems, but they maintain many backcountry airstrips throughout Idaho and into Oregon. It's not so much about the money (which is welcome), it's about the numbers, to show political support.

Boise Steve
    Democracy dies in conformity
    Thanks SJ thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, cubscout, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Steve! Also the BIG RAFFLE supports the Idaho back country as well! Buy lots of tickets, get lots of great prizes!

sj
    Thanks sjohnson thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A new sponsor!! Cirrus Aircraft is donating a ton of stuff. We extend a hearty welcome to Cirrus as a new sponsor. I believe Todd Simmons from Cirrus will attend the fly in - stop by and say hello.

Garmin D2 ‘Charlie’ Aviation Watch (the latest one), Retail $800
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garmin d2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	37237

Bose A20 Aviation Headset with Bluetooth, two prong (the latest one), Retail $1,000

Name:	Bose A20.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	37235
    Bose Soundlink III Bluetooth speaker. Retail $200

Name:	Bose Soundlink III.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	707.8 KB 
ID:	37236
    Note: product details may vary from what is shown.
    Last edited by sjohnson; 05-30-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Formatting
    Likes C130jake, jrussl, Superdan00 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am pretty excited, it looks like I will be able to squeeze enough time to fly down for JC! Now, to get the Maule through annual without a rebuild...

I am looking at pulling out of Haines between the 11th and 13th. I may make a detour to Yakima, and maybe spokane, (and pick up all the stuff Mike cannot fit in the smaller plane). If the weather is really nice, I might even jet down the coast and head east once south and visit the kids in Washington.

Anyone else from the north headed down?

Anyone coming north after?

Let me know if anyone wants to join the fun. I very well could have a seat open also if someone wants a ride.
    Likes FdxLou, C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great, George!

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great, George!

sj
    And I have my stash of paper bags to cover my face while flying the Maule
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, as of this morning there are about 20 aircraft slots left.

sj

Is registration only open to paying members? I don't see anyway to sign up this year. I've been to this fly in many times in the past but I'm not clear about how to register.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sadams View Post
    Is registration only open to paying members? I don't see anyway to sign up this year. I've been to this fly in many times in the past but I'm not clear about how to register.
    There is a big banner on the supercub.org home page that will take you right to registration. It is also at: http://www.supercub.org/JCSCFI

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Aircraft Spruce returns once again as a sponsor, for two $25 gift cards! Thanks again for being a regular sponsor!

We have catalogs, too, so you can choose what you want right at JC.

Name:	Aircraft Spruce Gift card.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	37300 - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aircraft Spruce Gift card.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	37300

Boise Steve
    Last edited by sjohnson; 05-30-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Clarification

Post Thanks / Like
    In case you missed it, the raffle link is here: http://www.supercub.org/JCSCFI/jcraf.php

Note: you need not be present to win the Bushwheels, but you must be present to win any other prize.

Boise Steve
    Last edited by sjohnson; 05-30-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    A new sponsor! Simplicity Country Weddings And Catering will be providing a Traveler's Goody Basket, filled with edibles appropriate for our demanding backcountry excursions.

Boise Steve
    Democracy dies in conformity
    Thanks dryfarmer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, as of right now we have 77 registrations for a possible 80 total. People do usually drop out, so please use the waiting list option.

Thanks!

sj
    Likes Superdan00 liked this post