• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Metal Belly

kiwicubber

PATRON
Te Kowhai, New Zealand
Does anyone have plans for a metal belly for a Supercub? The fuselage has the fittings and we want the metal belly to go from the boot cowl to the rear of the luggage compartment.

thanks
Bill

Bill, I have never seen plans but have a complete metal belly and part of another. Can take some pictures and post as shipping to New Zealand might be cost prohibitive.

Thanks Steve, pictures and any guidance on aluminium thickness and methods to stop oil canning would be most appreciated.
The aircraft has had a metal belly in the past, but any parts are long gone.

cheers Bill

My memory might be faulty here, but I think I got a blueprint for the metal belly from Jay Javron.

Does anyone have plans for a metal belly for a Supercub? The fuselage has the fittings and we want the metal belly to go from the boot cowl to the rear of the luggage compartment.

thanks
Bill

Why would you stop at the baggage? The area behind that is the most difficult to access because of the limited space to work. Running the belly all the way back won't add much more weight, and be really nice for working on the aft tubes.

What about making the panels our of Carbon Fiber?

I’m in the process of shaping the belly pan from the false boot cowl to aft of the rear gear fittings and would love to see a better picture than what “airframes” has.

I’m in the process of shaping the belly pan from the false boot cowl to aft of the rear gear fittings and would love to see a better picture than what “airframes” has.

Kiwicubber, In my aircraft logs and additional ppwk, I have a set of sketches and drawings from the previous owner of my bird. I believe he made the aluminum panels himself IAW the cubcrafters full length metal belly STC. Time willing I'll try to scan and post some attachments this evening.

Aktango58, or anyone else for that matter.. In regards to, "What about making the panels our of Carbon Fiber?" I'm not a mechanic but I try to be as in tune with understanding all things paperwork for certified aircraft. I think I have a solid understanding how carbon floorboards and say a square piece of carbon for Dakota Cub 24 gallon wing tank covers can be simple logbook entries. The 24 gallon tank installation is it's own STC sure, but I didn't see in my ppwk where it says a square of aluminum must be used as a tank cover. Whereas for the full length metals belly (correct me if I'm wrong anyone/without the ppwk being in front of me right now) I think it spells out using aluminum for the belly panels.. Wheich then seems like a simple swap to carbon pieces may not be so kosher. And yeah, comes down to what your mechanic might think/be comforatable with, I get that. Just curious of others thoughts here.

Thanks I’d appreciate the drawings in due course. Carbon fibre in New Zealand would be a big ask for our CAA, even though new aircraft are coming into the country built of the stuff.

cheers Bill

Back