• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

180 Required Instrumentaion

Fuel level, oil pressure, oil temp, CHT, MP, RPM, altimeter, airspeed, vacuum, turn coordinator, compass. What I want in addition? AH, DG, GPS w/ moving map.

Airspeed indicator, altimeter, compass, oil temp,oil pressure, tach and manifold pres. VFR under 10,000 mil. Don't need to talk or anyone.

Oh ya, Fuel gauges Required. Turn and bank, CHT, vacuum not required. Other stuff is nice but not required.

How about a carb venturi temp gauge or panel light to observe potential icing? Seems beneficial but required?

Gary

The vacuum is going away. Starting with a clean slate. Looks like I have another project. :help

Garmin G5
EI MVP-50
Garmin GTR 225
Garmin GTX 335
Overhauled O-470-R New nickel cylinders.
New 88 inch McCauley

I thought the OP asked what was required (as in legally required for flight)?

Read the regs (FAR 91.205) for required equipment for VFR and for IFR.
Also check the TCDS and equipment list for your airplane.
My equipment list came along with the factory W&B sheet,
it indicates items 1 (propeller), 102 (carb air filter), 103 (engine oil cooler), 201 (two main wheel & brake assemblies), 202 (two main wheel tires), 204 (tailwheel), 405 (flight manual), and 406 (stall warning indicator) are required. It does not actually clearly indicate which engine & flight instruments are required-- just which ones were installed.
The factory equipment list in my 1964 C150D was a bit more comprehensive--
it indicated which equipment was standard, which was optional, and which was required for flight.

I thought the OP asked what was required (as in legally required for flight)?

Read the regs (FAR 91.205) for required equipment for VFR and for IFR.
Also check the TCDS and equipment list for your airplane.
My equipment list came along with the factory W&B sheet,
it indicates items 1 (propeller), 102 (carb air filter), 103 (engine oil cooler), 201 (two main wheel & brake assemblies), 202 (two main wheel tires), 204 (tailwheel), 405 (flight manual), and 406 (stall warning indicator) are required. It does not actually clearly indicate which engine & flight instruments are required-- just which ones were installed.
The factory equipment list in my 1964 C150D was a bit more comprehensive--
it indicated which equipment was standard, which was optional, and which was required for flight.

Is FAR 91.205 applicable for an aircraft certified under CAR 3?

Is FAR 91.205 applicable for an aircraft certified under CAR 3?

Part 91 deals with operations. It calls out specific requirements that pertain to any aircraft operating as a privately owned aircraft. Mostly covers items that are called out in the airframe or engine TCDS, so few surprises. A few items are listed as applicable by date of manufacture, which seems to pretty much coincide with the change from CARs to FARs. Required reading if you are rebuilding or setting up for IFR ops.

Web

Speaking of "required equipment", lots of people don't have aa very good handle on that.
I mentioned on another discussion site that I was gonna remove the RH controls from my C150/150TD,
and was told by numerous people that "you can't do that".
Apparently they had "factory installed" confused with "required".
Lots of others said it was incredibly dangerous, "what if you pass out in flight? your passenger won't have any controls".
I reminded them that their car probably didn't have dual controls, but they considered it safe enough.
(BTW I removed the RH controls because any passenger taller than about 5 feet always got their toes tangled up in the pedals or their knees tangled up in the yoke. And tall passengers did both.)

FWIW I also removed the vacuum system (gyros, venture or vacuum pump, the whole shebang) from my last two airplanes (C170 & C150/150TD). Got the same comments from the same sort of people--"you can't do that" and "you'll kill yourself!".

For VFR only does the altimeter have to have a TSO?

Any instrument required by regs needs some kind of approval. If it was installed by the manufacturer it is considered 'approved' even if it was not tso'd. If you install an aftermarket instrument in place of a TCDS required one, it's legal as long as it is STC'd or is 'certified for primary use'. For good examples, look at altimeters and airspeeds in the Aircraft Spruce catalog. You'll find some that are listed as 'non certified' or 'for experimental use only'. These are not legal as direct replacements for certified units. The others marked as 'certified for primary use' (with the accompanying large price tags) are legal for direct replacement. Other types, such as electronic tachs, are legal to use as direct replacements since they are STC'd. In that case the STC means its 'certified for primary use'.

Web

Back