Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Air filter options

Post Thanks / Like

Air filter options

Getting close to re-building my new Carbon fibre lower cowl/complete cowl. Currently have the traditional round air filter which has given me no end of grief re sealing off the lower cowl and cracking. (O-375).

What options do I have? I know about the square filter box. This seams like it would be easier to seal. Are there other options for us experimentals?

Cgoldy
    Back Country O-375 wide body extended wing cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgoldy View Post
    Currently have the traditional round air filter which has given me no end of grief re sealing off the lower cowl and cracking. (O-375).
    Colin,
    I too have the round filter. What do you mean by "re sealing off the lower cowl"? Are you referring to the baffle which Piper uses to prevent air from flowing past the filter into the lower cowl area? If so, I left that off my plane and found that It wasn't needed.

I also have had some cracking in that scoop at the aft upper corner. I was able to stop it by placing a glob of silicone adhesive sealant over the crack on the inside. This ties together the metal on both sides of the crack, stabilizes and reduces the stresses which cause the cracking. I blame the cracking on the flexibility of the parts and the use of 5052 aluminum. The 5052 is too soft and not strong enough for this cowl application. The design with this alloy is difficult in a cowl which has high and transitory loads.

You building a new lower cowl from carbon fiber should eliminate these troubles.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this the filter I need order if I want to convert my round filter to a square? Will it allow the O-375 to breath?

Thanks in advance

Col Goldy
    IMG_0278.PNG

Post Thanks / Like

Air filter options

You're experimental. Do whatever you can make fit.

Brackett is old tech. Look at Donaldson if you want airplane parts (washable paper media) , K&N for free breathing (washable oiled cotton media), or any of a crapload of automotive filter suppliers. I went with K&N because they had a filter that met my space requirements and provided maximum flow.
    Last edited by stewartb; 05-10-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post

Brackett is old tech. Look at Donaldson if you want airplane parts (washable paper media) , K&N for free breathing (washable oiled cotton media), or any of a crapload of automotive filter suppliers. I went with K&N because they had a filter that met my space requirements and provided maximum flow.

Attachment 36968
    Van's has an filter assembly that uses a round K&N filter. http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/stor...t=fab-vertical

I'm using a Bendix pressure carburetor and needed to make an adapter plate so it would fit. But its an option

Sent from my SM-P900 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    "Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."

Benjamin Franklin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post

Attachment 36968

So do you use a scat hose to connect your filter to your airbox?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgoldy View Post
    Is this the filter I need order if I want to convert my round filter to a square? Will it allow the O-375 to breath?

Thanks in advance

Col Goldy
    IMG_0278.PNG
    Colin I have just that setup,no prob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Colin,
    Converting from the round to the square filter will require some extensive alterations of your air box or just exchange it for one already built for the square filter.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Colin,
    Converting from the round to the square filter will require some extensive alterations of your air box or just exchange it for one already built for the square filter.

Jay is making me one as we speak