• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The Friendly Aviation Administration

txpacer

SPONSOR
Iowa Park, TX
I recently picked up an L-21 to get me through my rebuild, the one that sometimes shows up on posts from the Brazos River. It has two serial numbers, an 18- one from Piper, and a 54- number from the military. The Piper number is on the airworthiness certificate, but the military one is on the registration.

Wanting to get these lined up properly, I tried using the 18- number when I registered the plane after buying it. That didn't work, so I called the registration branch at Oklahoma City. You can't get hold of those folks on the phone these days, so yesterday morning I emailed, explaining what I wanted to do.

I expected to get a reply in about two weeks telling me what stack of paperwork I needed to have notarized and mail in to get the number changed, with a two month processing time. What I got was a reply email, yesterday afternoon, that said the number had been changed in the database and I would be getting a new registration certificate in the mail.

I am amazed. Sometimes the system works.

The Aircraft Registration folks are actually pretty good to work with, once you can get hold of them!! Glad you got your paperwork straightened out. Bravo!!

I recently had an appointment set up with Minneapolis fsdo to get the repairman inspection certificate add on for the latest aircraft I bought. Before the day arrived, I got a phone call saying that they will have an inspector up in our area And he would be able to issue it here. Turned a 400 mile round-trip into a 10 mile round trip. :)

...an appointment set up with Minneapolis fsdo to get the repairman inspection certificate add on for the latest aircraft I bought. ...

Curious about this.
My understanding is that the repairman certificate is issued to the builder of an amateur-built experimental.
Are you adding your name onto one of these?
Or is it an E-LSA or S-LSA repairman cert?

Did not have the same success with OK City. A previous owner filled out a registration application changing the model to PA-18-105 from PA-18. I tried to correct it. Letter, email and a fax detailing the mistake and the date they made it. Had a conformity inspection done with supporting documentation for the error. No joy. #we are not happy until you are not happy

I recently had an appointment set up with Minneapolis fsdo to get the repairman inspection certificate add on for the latest aircraft I bought. Before the day arrived, I got a phone call saying that they will have an inspector up in our area And he would be able to issue it here. Turned a 400 mile round-trip into a 10 mile round trip. :)

Same thing here in northern WV. Called the Baltimore FDSO to get the repairman cert. for my Acroduster 2(E-AB). They called back and said they were going to inspect the western Maryland airports including KCBE and would be happy to drop it off next door at 1W3 home base. Saved me a 300 mile round trip. They might have gone out to Garrett Co. but I asked at KCBE and no one saw them...? Maybe they just wanted out of the office? Turned out they were both big airplane guys and wanted to pick my brain about E-AB.

Jack

Glad your experience was good. Took 1.5 yrs to get my cub registered after i bought it. Kept sending it back every 3 months saying it was filled out wrong but wouldnt tell me why. Finaly one lady told me the serial number was wrong. Was puting 255 instead of 11-255. After we got that settled i was off to the races.

OTOH I did have a somewhat negative experience with the registration branch. My other E-AB build was about 50/50 between me and it's initial builder. I registered it with me as "manufacturer". Then the MIDO guy said to change it. This was right when I was ready for the AWC inspection. I made the request to OKC undersigned my the MIDO inspector.
I waited and waited, called and called checking the database every morning. The MIDO guy called, faxed several times....finally since I did actually have a valid registration the MIDO guy told me to install the old data plate and he told my DAR to go ahead and inspect/issue the AWC which we did. When the change finally came through he cut a corrected AWC and I installed a matching data plate. So while one FAA branch seemed to drag their feet another branch went the extra mile to get me in the air.

Jack

Back