• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18A Flap Settings

SchulerJL

BENEFACTOR
Peoria, Illinois
Does anybody know the flap setting in degrees for the 3 notch PA-18A flap ratchet? I searched the site, I know I saw it before but I can't find it.

My 18A had ~12, 25, 50*. The 12* was great for slow cruise and didn't buffet. It's easily cut into a regular ratchet. Pull 12 or so, mark the ratchet where the flap handle tab sits, then cut the notch to match the others. So I've heard at closing time.

Gary

I was comparing the ratchet to the standard and it looks like the first notch is probably about 12, but the second notch looks greater that the first notch on a standard ratchet like the 25 and the third notch definitly looks less than the standard ratchet like about 45 degrees. Why would a PA18A have less flap than a PA18? hmmmmmmm - inquiring minds want to know.

My 18A had ~12, 25, 50*. The 12* was great for slow cruise and didn't buffet. It's easily cut into a regular ratchet. Pull 12 or so, mark the ratchet where the flap handle tab sits, then cut the notch to match the others. So I've heard at closing time.

Gary

My measurements were from a new 18A rachet in 1977 that I put on a straight 18. Used a bubble level but now we have digital ones. The original two-position ratchet would sometimes "slip out of gear" as they wear from use. Later I owned a 18A and checked it and they were close to the new specs. But they do wear, as does the flap tab or pin that extends from the handle, so over time the flap deflection may decrease some. Loose flap cables can do that too.

Gary

all you can "set" is MAX deflection... then just depends where you grind the notches.... and some Univair ones were made wrong overall length.....(too short the one I ran into)

According to AR7 and 1A2, all flap equipped 18s should have 50 deg. deflection. So if you can actually measure 50 deg on your 18 or 18A , should be easy to measure what the other settings are. (probably what Gary said) .
I'll see if mine has 50 deg. from full up to full down and measure the other settings.

I'm sure somebody way smarter than me could just measure the ratchet with a compass and figure it out.

Last edited:
That older SC.org link in #7 has some pics of the ratchet and use of flaps. Lots of good comments and suggestions. First notch is a working-spraying option I assume for additional lift and visibility over the nose with a load at application speed (?). I like them having that option just like I used 10* in Cessna's for the same reason. I wore out a set of flap tracks (roller grooves too deep) and various parts at the 20* setting so decided to use 10 for loitering when possible.

Gary

I’ve heard that this can be a function of the cable routing design between the two airframes. ( sort of a geometry thing) I have not tested it but was told that an original 18A ratchet installed in a standard cub will give less deflection whereas in the A it is proper.
We used to just modify the standard cub ratchet when converting them to sprayers be adding a ten deg or so setting.

I find the first 10 deg notch in use much of the time. Especially in any slow speed mode or in any sort of tight turn where it helps in bringing it around. As sprayers you always saw the first notch being pulled going into a turn.

That makes sense. I bought a new standard ratchet and a PA18 A ratchet from Univair and I traced the two out. As some of you may have read in previous posts, I just had Performance STOL flaps installed and I am learning how to use them effectively. I tried the A ratchet and it does allow full retraction, and it gives me that what looks like 10 degree setting with about a 25 degree setting and just short of full 50 degrees - it was that last couple of degrees that was very difficult to pull with the shortened handle. I'll measure the angles and report back. Hopefully I can fly it this week - ya hoooo time change.

View attachment RatchetOverlay 0001.pdf RatchetOverlay 0001.jpg

I’ve heard that this can be a function of the cable routing design between the two airframes. ( sort of a geometry thing) I have not tested it but was told that an original 18A ratchet installed in a standard cub will give less deflection whereas in the A it is proper.
We used to just modify the standard cub ratchet when converting them to sprayers be adding a ten deg or so setting.

I find the first 10 deg notch in use much of the time. Especially in any slow speed mode or in any sort of tight turn where it helps in bringing it around. As sprayers you always saw the first notch being pulled going into a turn.

Attachments

• RatchetOverlay 0001.pdf
    255.7 KB · Views: 149
  • RatchetOverlay 0001.jpg
    RatchetOverlay 0001.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I’ve heard that this can be a function of the cable routing design between the two airframes.
Yes. The location of the first pulley (closest to the flap handle) in relation to the clocking of the flap handle bellcrank can make a lot of difference.

I played around with that a lot in my -12 rebuild, in order to get 52 deg at full deflection (on the ground, no aerodynamic loading).

Back