• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 180 - Challenger oil filter installation

windknot54

Bend, OR
I would like to add an oil filter to my '73 Cessna 180 (0-470-50), which has a seaplane engine mount. The situation is complicated by the presence of a cabin air intake on the firewall, just opposite the oil screen location. It appears unlikely that a Champion filter and an engine mounted adapter will be a workable solution. It looks like the filter will be almost hard up against the diagonal member of the engine mount. Even if it clears the mount, the air intake will obstruct getting the filter out for servicing. I know - off with the starter!

I realize that I could go with a remote mounted Airwolf filter. Before heading down that road, I'm investigating the Challenger filter installation. The Challenger filter appears smaller (shorter and smaller diameter) than the Champion filter. It looks promising that I could install the adapter and filter, and be able to access the filter for servicing.

I would like to hear from anyone that has successfully installed an engine mounted Challenger filter on a C180 engine with a seaplane engine mount. Have you been happy with the end product? Which adapter was used? Photos would be greatly appreciated.

Challenger oil filter.png

Attachments

• Challenger oil filter.png
    Challenger oil filter.png
    678.7 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Before Champion came out with the shorter -1 filters the filter change was difficult. Even with the shorter filter I remove the cabin heat door and the cable attach block to make room to get the filters in and out. With that cable attach removed the shorter filter can be rotated to vertical to reduce spilling and lifted out through the seaplane mount with starter intact.

Attachments

• E76D596F-1717-47CA-8907-AEC185C3DB2F.jpg
    E76D596F-1717-47CA-8907-AEC185C3DB2F.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Before Champion came out with the shorter -1 filters the filter change was difficult. Even with the shorter filter I remove the cabin heat door and the cable attach block to make room to get the filters in and out. With that cable attach removed the shorter filter can be rotated to vertical to reduce spilling and lifted out through the seaplane mount with starter intact.
Thanks for the photo Stewart. Do you know the model of the oil filter adapter you have installed?

Guess I'm pretty lucky to have an integral spin on filter right on the oil pump. Mine came off a 470U. Is a little messy when you unscrew it but all I have to loosen is one scat tube from the rear baffle

Wow! between the price of those, and the notion of pulling a starter just to change oil I am SOOOO glad I am not a 'pro'..... With a remote filter I routinely change oil (and filter) without even uncowling the airplane. Oil goes out the quick drain, and filter comes out the right side access door. Of course all of this is moot point with a later model wagon, and fear of adding a couple hoses.

I think that's a typo.
I just googled it up and found the
F&M adapter p/n C6LC-S for the 470 powered C180 priced at $434.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/fmengadapter.php

Does anyone else make such an adapter for the 470 besides F&M?
I just have a screen now, but when I have to overhaul the engine a few years down the road I'd like to add a spin-on.
Not sure just what is available for the 470K re an oil pump housing with integral filter mount.

Jeepers... Does this mean that if I put in the TSIO520-based PPonk I will have to go through such machinations whenever I change the oil? Or is this specific only to certain cores (e.g. Stewarts O470R-based PPonk)? My understanding is that the crankcases of the 0470U, the IO-520F, theTSIO 520's and the IO-550's come from the same casting.

I figured adding the oil filter would make life easier than working with the oil screen.
Not a huge issue, but having to r&r the starter or heat door & attach block each oil change isn't an improvement.

J

Jeepers... Does this mean that if I put in the TSIO520-based PPonk I will have to go through such machinations whenever I change the oil? Or is this specific only to certain cores (e.g. Stewarts O470R-based PPonk)? My understanding is that the crankcases of the 0470U, the IO-520F, theTSIO 520's and the IO-550's come from the same casting.

I figured adding the oil filter would make life easier than working with the oil screen.
Not a huge issue, but having to r&r the starter or heat door & attach block each oil change isn't an improvement.

J

They are all the same basic case. The challenge is made more difficult by the configuration of the seaplane engine mount, and the location of the cabin heat intake on earlier C180s. It is particularly aggravating when cleaning the screen or changing the filter while working on the water, on a cold windy day!

2 mins off 2 minutes to put it back on.

lessee......at 105USD/hour.........

starter motor removal, that is.

And the savings in aggravation and mess versus an old style simple screen.

If only all of these had big oil doors amd simple mounts like Rob's plane, which meeds it cuz those early cowlings and two handfuls of screws take TIME.

Mine has camlocs, quicker than screws but still time consuming.
I do like the simplicity of the old-fangled screem,
but looking at the screen mesh vs the paper element of a spin-on
it only stands to reason the spin-on will catch more stuff,
which should help extend engine life.
My first airplane (stock 1969 C150) had the factory (?) oil filter canister--
good element like a spin-on but with all the mess etc we associate with a screen.
Done properly, changing a spin-on is a lot less messy.

I usually disconnect the cabin heat scat, sometimes pull the starter also.
The worst part is trying to properly safety-wire the screen afterwards.
Even with the scat & starter off, it's just about impossible to get in there (even with mini-pliers) to get a good pull on things.
Arrrrgh!
:bad-words:

So, here is the final outcome. I installed an F&M oil filter adapter (now owned by Stratus Tool Technologies) and the Challenger filter. Pretty easy installation, but I did need to relocate the oil pressure hose and tachometer cable to provide adequate clearance.

The filter is angled slightly down so, when removing it, the oil doesn't drip out much. The filter can be unscrewed from the adapter, rotated to a vertical position, and taken out between the engine mount and #1 cylinder baffle. No need to pull the starter or cabin air box, and it is easier to safety wire than the screen. It is a pretty tidy improvement.

F&M adapter installed:

2018-04-25 09.27.18.jpg

Challenger filter in place:

2018-04-26 16.02.23.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-04-25 09.27.18.jpg
    2018-04-25 09.27.18.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,245
  • 2018-04-26 16.02.23.jpg
    2018-04-26 16.02.23.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,086
Thanks for the update. So, which of these models did you install - the regular or the “long neck?” http://www.tempestplus.com/Products/FiltrationProducts/OilFiltersAdapters.aspx

So, here is the final outcome. I installed an F&M oil filter adapter (now owned by Stratus Tool Technologies) and the Challenger filter. Pretty easy installation, but I did need to relocate the oil pressure hose and tachometer cable to provide adequate clearance.

The filter is angled slightly down so, when removing it, the oil doesn't drip out much. The filter can be unscrewed from the adapter, rotated to a vertical position, and taken out between the engine mount and #1 cylinder baffle. No need to pull the starter or cabin air box, and it is easier to safety wire than the screen. It is a pretty tidy improvement.

F&M adapter installed:

View attachment 37034

Challenger filter in place:

View attachment 37035

This is from 2009 when I overhauled it. Can get a regular size filter installled without taking the starter off and it clears my original engine mount.The blue cap is because I have a P1000 tach and no cable.oil pump.JPG

Attachments

• oil pump.JPG
    oil pump.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 239
Thanks for posting that pic, Marty.
I like that set-up, much better than the filter adapters.
I had an El Reno / F&M filter adapter on my C170 and had some leakage issues where the adapter met the case,
Finally got it fixed (pretty much).
I also kinda recall an issue with the adapter turning.
So I'm kinda leery of installing the same sort of adapter deal on my 470.

Back