• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tach issues

jimboflying

My tach needle is bouncing about 100 rpm and there is some squeaky noise coming from somewhere. What should I do?

Don’t look at it and turn your music up. [emoji41] That’s how I handle mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And if it is one of those old AC tachs, a good auto speedometer shop can make it like new, set the odometer where you want it, and make you a new cable, all for cheap. Especially if you are experimental.

Sometimes it is the tach and sometimes it is the cable. Have a pretty new Top Cub in the shop and it bounces below about 1500 rpm. Put another know tach in and it works fine.

Has anyone been working behind the panel lately? Sometimes a guy will push the cable aside to get to something, not return the cable when finished, and it binds a little.

I shouldn't have mouthed off,,, Mine just broke today, but it was operator error. I swung the engine out to get to the mags and when I swung the engine back in, I didn't pull the tach cable back inside the firewall and it got kinked.... So I get to buy a new one anyway. Maybe that will stop the needle from bouncing, if not I might send the tach in the hospital.

I shouldn't have mouthed off,,, Mine just broke today, but it was operator error. I swung the engine out to get to the mags and when I swung the engine back in, I didn't pull the tach cable back inside the firewall and it got kinked....

Steve is gonna tear up your logbooks if your not careful !!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

That's interesting....
I've never seen an E.I. or Horizons tach bounce. Even when the 'cable' gets kinked.

Web

Just an update. I removed the tach cable, cleaned, and greased it using a light synthetic grease. I did a test flight and found that the flutter of the needle went away. The squeak was from another source.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I installed a new mechanical tack cable a few years ago. Before flying in the Winter at -20, I cleaned out the thick factory grease and put in light synthetic grease. The snowmachine shop in town sells a very convenient, clamp on, cable greaser that made the job a snap. It worked for a while, but the cold still did it in. What is a better system for an experimental? All I care about is the lightest system for compliance with the minimum instrument requirement.
Jonny

Yup. Anything electrical. No cables and the pick up wires go to the mag switch instead of through the firewall.

Web

Does the cgr 30p monitor rpm with pick up wires?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Hey Guys,

I installed a new mechanical tack cable a few years ago. Before flying in the Winter at -20, I cleaned out the thick factory grease and put in light synthetic grease. The snowmachine shop in town sells a very convenient, clamp on, cable greaser that made the job a snap. It worked for a while, but the cold still did it in. What is a better system for an experimental? All I care about is the lightest system for compliance with the minimum instrument requirement.
Jonny

If you are Experimental AB, and Day VFR, there are no instrument requirements. Your operating limitations only specify compliance with 91.205 if you operate night or ifr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I needed to replace my tach. May have cost a bit more than others?, but I really like it. 25694676-3815-4F4E-8C76-9BCA5C4B187B.png94AE8247-39EA-4542-8EB4-2FBAE955002D.png

Attachments

• 25694676-3815-4F4E-8C76-9BCA5C4B187B.png
    25694676-3815-4F4E-8C76-9BCA5C4B187B.png
    382.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 94AE8247-39EA-4542-8EB4-2FBAE955002D.png
    94AE8247-39EA-4542-8EB4-2FBAE955002D.png
    318.7 KB · Views: 180
But seriously, if anyone has issues reading the smaller displays, use the back lighting. It helps out quite a bit. Also, find displays that have more contrasting colors. Some colors are easier/harder to make out than others, so each person needs to find what works best for them.

Web

But seriously, if anyone has issues reading the smaller displays, use the back lighting. It helps out quite a bit. Also, find displays that have more contrasting colors. Some colors are easier/harder to make out than others, so each person needs to find what works best for them.

Web

My current ride is equipped with one of those ridiculous EI electronic techs with the tiny LCD display and a ring of little lights around the perimeter. To complicate matters, it’s located just above the prop control, as in as low on the panel as you can get.

Trying to figure out how to improve this without a million $ bill.

MTV

03F48E46-2FDB-42ED-BAD0-DD3B789E1636.jpeg

Yeah, but to where. I’m cogitating on it.

MTV

Attachments

• 03F48E46-2FDB-42ED-BAD0-DD3B789E1636.jpeg
    03F48E46-2FDB-42ED-BAD0-DD3B789E1636.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 194
Back