• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Would you need a pilots license to "fly " this?

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
My brother sent me this and asked me if a person would need a pilot's license to operate it. I'm sure there is some kind of exception?

I believe ground effect vehicles do not need a pilots license.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The Soviets the kings of “aircraft style“ transportation vehicles, no matter if it’s over snow ice or water. Must be the vodka really enables the creative minds, or perhaps nobody simply says no.

The Soviets the kings of “aircraft style“ transportation vehicles, no matter if it’s over snow ice or water. Must be the vodka really enables the creative minds, or perhaps nobody simply says no.

They have to do something with the airplane designs that don't fly:lol:

Glenn

I see a lot of commentary on the Interwebs that operating ground effect vehicles doesn't require a pilot's license. However, many GEVs can reach an altitude of 20 feet and are supported solely by aerodynamic forces, and thus are both aircraft and airplanes under part 1. The way I see it, if a GEV is operated by and occupied by a human (i.e. not a drone), operating a GEV requires a pilot's license.

Part 1: Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air. Civil aircraft means aircraft other than public aircraft. Airplane means an engine-driven fixed-wing aircraft heavier than air, that is supported in flight by the dynamic reaction of the air against its wings. Crewmember means a person assigned to perform duty in an aircraft during flight time.

§61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.

(a) Required pilot certificate for operating a civil aircraft of the United States. No person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of the United States, unless that person:
(1) Has in the person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization—
(i) A pilot certificate issued under this part and in accordance with §61.19;...

Last edited:
Not surprising that they haven't mentioned rough water. Hmm.. What happens when the sea isn't glassy smooth. I like it, but....

Not to worry Perry, blame the driver. A driver can make of a break any barefooter, and if you don’t have good instruction and a good driver, you’ll not find it easy or fun. If you have both, it’s fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Trust me I blamed everybody, especially the driver (Dad) but I think he was laughing too hard to hear me.

As I watched the video I kept asking myself the same rough water question. They turn 200' ships around often in winter here. In summer we got fishing boats with 30' masts all the way to 60', plus cruise ships at 300+ feet, (ask Bill Rusk about fog and ships here).

Might be cool, but for six passengers??? limited markets

Back