Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 - Great Alaska Aviation Gathering (The Trade Show)

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like

2018 - Great Alaska Aviation Gathering (The Trade Show)

One of the best shows of the year is coming up May 5th and 6th in Anchorage. Who is going? Where do you plan to stay?

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Likes WanaBNACub liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    not going, unless my 91 year old stepfather Windy wants to go.... trade shows are so pre-internet ways to introduce your products... and way to peoplely for me....

Post Thanks / Like
    I can go up may 2nd and leave may 8th.

Is there anything else to see up there besides stopping by to see mike?

should I just get a hotel by the airport?

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to try. Might still be up to my ears in mud working, but hope to bail out of here by 6 pm friday and go that way, weather permitting
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PIPER J5.5 View Post

hush, let me give you a false address

Post Thanks / Like
    I can go up may 2nd and leave may 8th.

should I just get a hotel by the airport?
    The Puffin gives pilots a preferred rate. Just ask for it when you book.

Things to see and do in no particular order:

Visit Mike if he hasn’t locked the door, turned off the lights, and disconnected the phone. So many cool solutions to problems, so many clever ideas, such good craftsmanship, so modest.

Walk the tie down lines at Lake Hood and Merrill Field. Go with a friend and make it a contest to find the most mods that couldn’t possibly be done with an approved 337.

Visit the Lake Hood aviation museum. Buy copies of the CloudDancer Chronicles

Eat at Gwennies, Lucky Wishbone, and Peggie’s to visit the pilot haunts. Good food at Rustic Goat, Kincaid Grill, Southside Bistro, too.

Check out the amazing Sidney Laurence paintings in the lobby of Wells Fargo Bank and Alaska Heritage Museum at Northern Lights and C streets. If you don’t know Laurence, he was an amazing painter of Alaska landscapes.

Visit the Anchorage Museum (and have lunch in their good restaurant while you’re there). The Museum has a great collection of native costumes and everyday items from all over the state. Give them a close look and admire the ingenuity and creativity. The Museum also has some interesting modern art as well as traveling exhibits. It’s always worth a visit.

Visit the Alaska Native Heritage Museum and ask the docent to demonstrate the kayak for you. Those native kayaks are really neat from a design perspective, and if you’re the kind of person who likes to work with wood I’ll bet you’ll end up thinking “I should try to build one of those”

Go to Title Wave and check out the Alaskiana and Aviation sections. Every time I visit I find two or three books that I MUST have. A recent acquisition was Charles Brower’s “Fifty Years Below Zero,” about his life in Barrow. It’s a MUST READ book if you’re going to Alaska.

Visit the sled dog teams in Willow. Skinniest, littlest, and least furry darn dogs you’ll ever see. I can’t fathom how they can run the Yukon Quest and the Iditarod.

Drive down to Seward or Whittier or Homer for some sightseeing

Visit Northern Lights and buy a GPS. Visit FA Dodge and Stoddards and buy some parts you forgot you needed.

Visit Alaska Industrial Hardware (AIH) and stroll the aisles. You will ALWAYS find cool stuff you didn’t know you needed.

Hang out in the Supercub.org booth. Make new friends, get reacquainted with old ones.

Hop a flight up to FAI and walk around the perimeter of the various Everts bone yards. This is the best time of year because the leaves are off the willows. One of the boneyards has three or four C-46 fuselages, wings, engines, etc. Enough cool projects to last ten lifetimes.

Plenty of stuff to do while you’re there!
    Speedo
    Thanks Bill Rusk, Vlad, FdxLou, JohnnyR, Brandsman and 2 others thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday night right after the show at the Coast Hotel is the BIG SUPERCUB.ORG SOIREE! Dinner (provided by our awesome sponsors of which we could use one more for this year) and cash bar, great camaraderie and this year we have the WHOLE big room!

Be there or be square! We will have a small soundproof booth in the back with dark curtains where people can enter and speak with Mike MCS Repair one on one... via skype...

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks Idleclamp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    We will have a small soundproof booth in the back with dark curtains where people can enter and speak with Mike MCS Repair one on one... via skype...

sj
    Will Mike’s image be a black silhouette, and will he be using voice distortion software?
    Speedo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    Will Mike’s image be a black silhouette, and will he be using voice distortion software?
    If he does, I'll bet he designed and built both.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It will go down something like this...

Name:  larson.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  47.7 KB
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wife and will be up again. fly in the 4th stay until the 14th for Valdez- motorhome the entire time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning to attend the Gathering then hang out and drive over to Valdez the following weekend. Any suggested points of interest? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Talkeetna is a great day trip. Swing by the museum down town and eat at the roadhouse. Go to Birchwood and take a tour of Airframes/Bushwheels. On the way to Valdez stop at Eureka and have a piece of pie.
    DENNY
    Thanks TJAK thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl, WanaBNACub, TJAK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to attending the show and wandering around the area for a few days. Arrive Friday evening and depart Tuesday evening. Staying at the Coast. Looking at Talkeetna for a day trip. Just finished Wager with the Wind (second time) last night.
    Likes DCB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Bitterroot boys will be there. We arrive at noon on the 4th. Staying at the Millenium. Hope to see you there. If I dont get run over by SJ in the alley.
    Likes Supercubajc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll Be Their for the first time if my sail ls full. The Longhouse will be my temporary dwelling. Looking forward to it.
    Likes Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Any recommendations for getting a seaplane rating while I’m there?

or flying in a beaver?

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw this in a antique shop today in KCVO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4ABB2F21-DBDB-47EB-B0AB-011518698EF9.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	36774  
    Likes mike mcs repair, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw this in a antique shop today in KCVO
    http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=3817Z

Post Thanks / Like
    So will we get to meet mike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any recommendations for getting a seaplane rating while I’m there?

or flying in a beaver?
    There are a few operators on Lake Hood that offer seaplane training. Here’s one: http://acmecub.blogspot.com/. Do a google search for seaplane training on Lake Hood.

Rust’s operates Beavers there on floats, and would be my first choice, but there are several.

All that said, Lake Hood May or may not be ice free by next weekend. The first week of May is about when ice out usually occurs. Even if it’s ice free, the first few days is pretty busy getting airplanes floated, launched, and getting pilots current and trained. It can be pretty busy, but there may be opportunities. I’d call ahead.

MTV
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey All,
    I'm also on my way up to Alaska this week; looking forward to meeting a bunch of you. I'll be in the Stewart Systems Booth working the weekend, come by and say hi. And yes, I'll be at the dinner. After the show, I'm staying through Thursday morning (well, depart at 1am Thursday). I don't have any plans firm yet for Monday-Wednesday, should be fun. Ideas for those three days welcome. See you all this weekend.
    Marty57
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    still has ice on lake... might be gone by then...

https://www.facebook.com/alaskaaviat...type=3&theater

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff was out flying today and most of the lakes in the Adirondacks are still frozen. Thinging of meeting for a BBQ lunch tomorrow.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at weather, and it is going to be less than fun.

My stress meter is on overload, and I have lots going on, so fighting weather is not the thing I feel like doing after a 12 hour day on the excavator...

Let's see if Valdeze weekend is any better!

Have fun without me folks, wish it could have worked.

George
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember to stop by the Wipaire booth and ask for me We’re in a new location this year on the perimeter of the indoor aircraft display.

I won’t be there, but I figure if enough people ask for me, my attendance odds for next year will increase

—Amy
    Proud owner of a collection of airplane pieces (sometimes in one big piece) known as the Oklahoma Kid.
    Thanks jrussl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure will Amy.

I met mike today walking his dog around birchwood. Recognized him from his mugshot here. Spent at least 30 seconds talking to him.

Airframes was a treat to see.
    Likes mike mcs repair, STaylor2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure will Amy.

I met mike today walking his dog around birchwood. Recognized him from his mugshot here. Spent at least 30 seconds talking to him.

Airframes was a treat to see.
    I plan on walking the dogs in the woods with the bears for the next week and a half....

Post Thanks / Like
    Sheep mountain lodge on the Glenn hwy to Valdez has the best strawberry rhubarb pie. Good food as well. Just before eureka lodge. Craig

Post Thanks / Like

2018 - Great Alaska Aviation Gathering (The Trade Show)

I hope someone posts good photos of Airframes 4 place cub they finished and I think have on display. 1256 lb EW, 1950 GW, 4 seats.

Yeah, that’s cool, even if you ride around with 3 empty seats until you get another dog.

Couple pics on instagram look good, but more is better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1525438879.693897.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	36867

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Likes WanaBNACub, C-FIJK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyriver View Post
    Sheep mountain lodge on the Glenn hwy to Valdez has the best strawberry rhubarb pie. Good food as well. Just before eureka lodge. Craig
    A few of us just had this discussion last week at a restaurant in Utah. The verdict---Pie is food.
    Likes ER Upgrade, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, will be at the show, drove down today from Fairbanks. Speedo, your plug for hopping to Fairbanks has merit and I can certainly sweeten the deal. Any of you deciding to make that a plan and that actually have the time or are staying in State for Valdez, making it to Fairbanks I can offer an INSIDE THE FENCE TOUR of the Everts yard(s), AND the inner workings of the ongoing maintenance and operations side of the monster that is Everts. Have worked on the maintenance side now since 1977 thus giving away my vintage, not sure how many of these gray hairs have developed from those endeavors.....for follow up on this PMs will work, just gotta give me time to get home on Monday to be at work Tuesday.
    Hope to meet some of you at the show tomorrow!

Regards to all, Oz
    Likes Steve Pierce, Bill Rusk, fancypants liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzAK View Post
    Hi all, will be at the show, drove down today from Fairbanks. Speedo, your plug for hopping to Fairbanks has merit and I can certainly sweeten the deal. Any of you deciding to make that a plan and that actually have the time or are staying in State for Valdez, making it to Fairbanks I can offer an INSIDE THE FENCE TOUR of the Everts yard(s), AND the inner workings of the ongoing maintenance and operations side of the monster that is Everts. Have worked on the maintenance side now since 1977 thus giving away my vintage, not sure how many of these gray hairs have developed from those endeavors.....for follow up on this PMs will work, just gotta give me time to get home on Monday to be at work Tuesday.

Regards to all, Oz
    That would be worth a trip to Alaska by itself for me.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes WWhunter, Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzAK View Post

Regards to all, Oz
    I had part of that tour a number of years ago, and it would indeed be well worth the drive to FAI...you’ll love the DC-6 procedures trainer, both ends......lunch enroute in Talkeetna.....go for it.

MTV
    Last edited by mvivion; 05-05-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got wheels monday-thru Toyota 4runner with empty seats if someone was serious going up
    Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously folks, if you want to come, it's not a problem to do at all. Next week, next month, whenever. If you live here in Alaska and would like to have a look around, anytime will work. A group, even a small one is most efficient but since you're connecting through me it's very simple. Enjoy the show this weekend!!

Oz

Post Thanks / Like
    This week I will be there Tues-Thursday. Friday mid day heading for Valdez!

Oz
    Likes vj88 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch Out for the tour at Everts, most of that work there had a “the tour”. Been a good recruitment tool for the Organization. I like to think of tours as “informal interviews”.

“Tour, why sure.”
    ”Yes, we hire on occasion. Would you be interested?”
    Likes mike mcs repair, mit greb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8511.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	339.6 KB 
ID:	36892

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app