• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

0-320 Cylinder issue

alaskacubdriver

I have a super cub with an 150hp 0-320 lycoming, lately it has been a little weak. So i did a compression test on it and all cylinders came out 73/80. but when you pull the prop though you can feel that when it is on the compression stroke of the number one cylinder there is almost no back pressure. looking for any advice to what the issue could be.

How many hours on the engine/cylinder? Is the exhaust valve all milky? What kind of CHT's is that cylinder running? What kind of mags and when was last overhaul? Have you done a inflight mag check at 2400 rpm?
DENNY

It might not be your case but I had a broken ring. A piece of less then an inch worked the landing out and exited via exhaust. O-320 cyl #4 zero compression. Stumbled while airborne Hole in the piston - 1.jpg

Attachments

• Hole in the piston - 1.jpg
    Hole in the piston - 1.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 196
Curious why all cylinders were exactly the same reading. Gauge???
You can have good leak down but cam will affect compression when pulling through. Pull value cover off watch for movement. Should be about .400 of an in.

The engine only has about 500 since major, but the plane did sit for over a year without being flown.
-there isn’t a cylinder temp gauge in the airplane, so not sure .
-haven’t tried the inflight mag check yet though just ground mag check at 1700

The cylinders all tested from 72/80 to 74/80. I used the compression gauge on a different airplane and it tested correctly.
- puller rocket box cover and both valve springs move when prop is rotated through.

Back