• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float insurance

OK, but I have a little Aqua 1500 time and the 1320s do better.

Glenn
Bottom shape, your 1320s have fluted contoured bottoms which EDO spent a lot of time and money developing. The Aquas have flat skins like the 1400s and 2000s which do not provide as much lifting force. The 2000s would be even better if they had the fluted bottoms which are on the new Aerocets. The cost of manufacture of the contoured stretch skin bottoms is a lot higher which is why the 1400s and 2000s have flat skins.

Glenn,
The difference between the EDO 1400 and 1320 which you notice is more the shape of the bottoms than the difference in buoyancy. With equal shaped floats, the only difference being the size, the larger float will get out sooner because it has to push less water out of the way while it is climbing on the step. More water to push means more drag and more power required to overcome the drag thus more time to get on the step. Once on the step there should be little noticeable difference, all else being equal.

That's my other pet peeve with round top EDO floats. The 1140 and the 1320s were the gold standard for performance with there concave bottoms. But they were a 5 sided float and time consuming to build. So EDO promotes the new and " improved " round top floats with only 3 sided, 1/3 less rivets means 1/3 less labor. Not quite as strong as 5 sides but still strong enough to work. But when they started building the " improved " round tops the went too far, they should have kept the concave bottoms instead of the draggy, low performance flat sided bottoms. They are the most popular float not because of performance like most think but because they were cheaper to build and lots of them were

Glenn

mvivion;710993 Pete’s point about wing extensions is also right on. I once flew a Super Cub with wing extensions on floats. I flew that plane for several years said:
Were the wings "extended" beyond normal length with added tips? I have what some call extended but are only squared off at the normal length. Edo 2000s. 180 HP, EW is close to forward CG. It performs and handles quite well, empty or loaded; fast or slow. Aft end of floats rarely ever go under water unless there is too much moose meat in it......

Were the wings "extended" beyond normal length with added tips? I have what some call extended but are only squared off at the normal length. Edo 2000s. 180 HP, EW is close to forward CG. It performs and handles quite well, empty or loaded; fast or slow. Aft end of floats rarely ever go under water unless there is too much moose meat in it......

Yes, that airplane had two full ribs outboard of the aileron end, plus a Demer tip.....and the ailerons hadn't been extended either. Took some getting used to....best machine ever to get you used to using rudder.... In the picture, you can see the end of the stock aileron, where it tapers forward.

N720 wing.jpg

MTV

Attachments

• N720 wing.jpg
    N720 wing.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 173
All you guys worry about in max buoyancy, and that most likely is the safest? But from what I've seen a under floated smaller float performs better getting off then a larger float. I want the performance over the floatation. Yup you need to be extra careful on down wind turns while on the water and taxiing around. I've done the monkey climb up my lift struts to pull a submerged tip back up a few times that I should have stayed home on 30 mph wind days. And I've had 1400 edos but I still would stay with the smaller 1320s for how much faster they get off. Cruiser, I've been loaded right up to 1500+lbs and they work fine but you need to be careful. I hope Ed put those 1800 back on this year so we can put you 2 side by side and you can watch him and Lo thru the sunroof while your still on the water. ;-)

Glenn

Based upon your anectodal performance fairy tales I am surprised to learn that the floats did not sell. Did he get any offers? Did he get any calls? And that is exactly my point.

Yes, that airplane had two full ribs outboard of the aileron end, plus a Demer tip.....and the ailerons hadn't been extended either. Took some getting used to....best machine ever to get you used to using rudder.... In the picture, you can see the end of the stock aileron, where it tapers forward.

View attachment 35428

MTV

Mike:
That's what mine was like when I first got it. As I recall it was a sluggish pig for roll and I did use more rudder. The next year the tips went into a dumpster and I extended the ailerons to the end and simply squared it off.
It worked great after that. It didn't go on floats until 5 years later.

Based upon your anectodal performance fairy tales I am surprised to learn that the floats did not sell. Did he get any offers? Did he get any calls? And that is exactly my point.

They are not in the greatest shape and are butt ugly, plus he's still not totally sure he's not going to put them back on. The 29 year old who got his ticket last December is pushing Ed to get them ready for summer.

Your going to be even more embarrassed when that butt ugly SC with the butt ugly floats smokes your ugly butt off the water :lol:

Glenn

They are not in the greatest shape and are butt ugly, plus he's still not totally sure he's not going to put them back on. The 29 year old who got his ticket last December is pushing Ed to get them ready for summer.

Your going to be even more embarrassed when that butt ugly SC with the butt ugly floats smokes your ugly butt off the water :lol:

Glenn

We can load them to 1750 lbs and see how it goes.

Sorry for the thread creep Charlie, I hope you get an answer to your question

Last edited:
Naw it’s all good! I only have 2 hours on floats so all the info is helpful.

You will have a good time on whatever you get. Some just like to buy what everyone else uses. Me, I like most everything else. I'm a Chevy and VW type when everyone else is driving a Ford and Subaru, no Glock only S&W and a big caliber rifle is a Mauser 98 in 6mm.

Have fun

Glenn

Back