Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling an airplane

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    How do you do this?
    Google Photos or Google Docs.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Google Photos or Google Docs.
    Can you recommend an instruction manual for this?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have sold seven airplanes over the years. The last four were done through brokers and their fees were well worth it based upon my experience with the first three. I set what I thought was a relistic bottom price I would accept net to me. If I don’t get it, I keep the plane. I guess I’ve been in the ballpark for the market because they all sold eventually and I didn’t have to deal with BS.

A partner and I just bought a V35B Bonanza. My partner is a DAR and formerly owned a V35. We did a lot of research on a few advertised airplanes including full FAA records on maintenance and owner history. We settled on one to look at. We traveled from LI to the mid west at our own expense. We paid the sellers mechanic to do the pre-buy with us. We paid the asking price because we believed it was worth it. This was a private sale, but that didn’t matter to us. We looked at several broker airplanes but they were not worth the trip for one reason or another. We got what we wanted and the seller got what he wanted. A win-win.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Connect your phone up to google photos (everybody should do this anyway in my opinion), take pictures of the logbook pages and other things, create a sharable link to the group of pictures in google photos and send it out. Can also do with a camera of course if your phone does not have a camera.

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks skywagon8a thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    Helped a nice guy selling a big 300 hp. Stinson. One of the "potential" purchasers wanted a two hour demo ride. I gave him 30 minutes. The guys who bought it didn't want to pay my fee, so it left without a test flight......
    I sold my first airplane, a stock C150, two years into it because I wanted to be a taildragger pilot (bought a C170).
    One potential buyer explained to me that he was part of a club / shared ownership deal with about 7 other guys,
    and that the son of one of the other guys had totaled their 150.
    I flew over to his airport, he bought me lunch, and I took him up for a test flight.
    When we got back, there was the other seven guys waiting for us.
    He hopped out and said "OK boys, who's next?"
    Nope, not gonna happen bubba.
    Never heard another word from him or them.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you do this?
    Another way is to use Turboscan, an app on a mobile phone. It scans and you can collate as a pdf.

This method was recommended by several on Beechtalk. I've never done it myself but have every intention when I get a spare five minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    No "instruction manual", but I have done two ways:

1) Using the phone to take pictures of each page of the logbook, and posting all those photos to a photo-sharing app. I found it tedious to get all the pictures legible enough, and uploading /organizing all those photos was a PITA. It's also much harder for the person reviewing the logs, because to make sense of the logs you really need to read them sequentially, making notes as you go.

2) I spent around $150 and bought a combo printer/scanner/fax machine. It came with software that allows me to scan the entire logbook to a PDF file. Took about 30 seconds per page, and I scanned the entire collection of logbooks (multiple airframe logs, plus the engine and prop logs). The whole thing took less than a 1/2 day. Every potential buyer commented about how great it was to be able to review the logs in complete detail as though you were sitting with the "real" logbooks.

Option 2 would be my preference every time... There is a learning curve, but it is quick and easy. If your time is worth anything to you, or if you need a printer/scanner/fax anyway, it's a no-brainer decision. And once you have the logs scanned in PDF form, you can usually just upload them as attachments to the ad listing itself.

PS - I now do this for every plane I own, even when I'm not even thinking about selling. It provides me a backup of the logbooks (no "lost or missing logbooks"). And it is fairly easy to append new log pages to the existing PDF file.
    Jim Parker
    '65 Champion 7ECA - Flying
    ?? Bearhawk Patrol - Building
    Thanks skywagon8a thanked for this post
    Likes cubpilot2 liked this post