• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Up-coming barren-lands trip

Great photos. That first one is definitely eastern arctic (pointed hoods, etc.). Could very well be on the Hudson's Bay coast somewhere. Looks like 1950's.

Inuit don't dress like that anymore, unfortunately.

That's a nifty "taxi" in the Canso photo!

I would be leaving some of that stuff home and taking Lyn, or for 100 miles I would take off at dawn with cargo, drop it at the cabin when I built a fire, then get back and get her and the dogs.

It is nice to be alone some times, but even a 200 mile round trip to get Lyn is not a burden if she wants to go! Nothing like having your wife tell you you need skis so she can get to the cabin when she wants.

While your gear list looks heavy to me, I don't think you are short. Instead of the Catalytic heater as heat backup, I might build a quick stove pipe collector to put heat into the engine and call that my back up. The size of it might make a difference, but remember that propane and butane are pretty worthless at those temperatures. I keep my propane inside the cabin and carry it out to the plane for preheat.

The gen set would only go if I intended to use it for more than heating the plane one time. The tent I might keep, especially if you are looking at days before rescue, (snowshoes to walk home?), but I would have a 60 below bag and leave the caribou hide...

Then again, if you got space- fill it to increase comfort! I can't fit everything in the Maule... and I used to fly a cub!8)

goof.jpg

best company for going to the cabin in the middle of the winter, almost full plane. FYI: She makes the best Nanaimo Bars you can imagine, and can bake a cake on our wood stove!

Attachments

• goof.jpg
    goof.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 248
Ok George now you've done it! The recipe please. Never heard of them but I googled Nanaimo Bars and found recipes but since her's are the best lets have it. Pretty Please? Or I could just send you my address for a fresh batch.

Ok George now you've done it! The recipe please. Never heard of them but I googled Nanaimo Bars and found recipes but since her's are the best lets have it. Pretty Please? Or I could just send you my address for a fresh batch.

Recipe: Open fridge, search for proper container, open and eat...:wink:

Let me ask the boss, but you can pick up some when you visit:lol:

Our address: 9AA9. Go left on road at end of airstrip, left after you cross the bridge, second drive on right;-)

Wickenberg, do you know Scott Mccasland? Or his wife Kathy? They grew up there but were in Alaska for years.

Also there used to be a retired police officer Dallas Waddell.

I would be leaving some of that stuff home and taking Lyn, or for 100 miles I would take off at dawn with cargo, drop it at the cabin when I built a fire, then get back and get her and the dogs.

It is nice to be alone some times, but even a 200 mile round trip to get Lyn is not a burden if she wants to go! Nothing like having your wife tell you you need skis so she can get to the cabin when she wants.

While your gear list looks heavy to me, I don't think you are short. Instead of the Catalytic heater as heat backup, I might build a quick stove pipe collector to put heat into the engine and call that my back up. The size of it might make a difference, but remember that propane and butane are pretty worthless at those temperatures. I keep my propane inside the cabin and carry it out to the plane for preheat.

The gen set would only go if I intended to use it for more than heating the plane one time. The tent I might keep, especially if you are looking at days before rescue, (snowshoes to walk home?), but I would have a 60 below bag and leave the caribou hide...

Then again, if you got space- fill it to increase comfort! I can't fit everything in the Maule... and I used to fly a cub!8)

I've considered all of that and, believe me, it would be more fun to have my wife along (or at very least the dog!:smile:) but there's just no room. Yes, I could make a trip and leave that stuff down there but;

1) It's mostly what I consider survival gear, so I'd have little to keep me alive if I went down on the return trip.
2) I could take my wife down and leave her there while I bring in another load. She wouldn't like that one bit and I don't like "leaving a man behind" in case something went wrong with the 'plane.
3) There's nobody around to come for us except commercial operators out of Yellowknife. A rescue could be 10 to 20 grand! Of course, if we're "seriously" hurt then it might not cost anything. One can only hope!;-)
4) The open, tree-less tundra is no place for a shelter made out of wing covers and ski-poles. We need a proper tent.
5) Most of the weight is the food I'll take for two-weeks. The survival gear is actually fairly light but bulky.
6) I have a "-60" bag. The pad and caribou hide could probably be left behind. That would save on bulk but they weigh very little.
7) There's no "walking home" from that distance in this country!
8) I've agonized over the generator, granted. Still contemplating, but that Reiff system works so well and is so safe.
9) The butane survival stove is tiny, as is the tank. It would only be used if the gas stove failed. Weighs about 8 ounces, including the tank.

As the season progresses and the weather improves I might well leave some of that stuff behind.

Temperature last night was -44(F) and wind-chill -78(F)

Last edited:
Out in Bethel last winter I had carb issues at -22F; I had to be very careful to keep her smooth and slow or she would not run right- no matter if she had been flying all day and been resting with the cover the last 20 minutes.

I now have a policy that if I see -25F, I am not taking a carb engine out unless there is a life threatening emergency. Even with an inversion you have to take off and climb.

Injected you can get a little colder.

Below 5F the heater would not keep up, so she would get colder inside the longer I was out.

Fun times!!

Do folks use sno-gos to travel the tundra there? Seems the quickest rescue would be ground troops. Amazing how far and fast folks will go in 6" of snow on tundra!

I believe you can get a pod for your bird, you are experimental? The best part of the pod for me was having the ability to load forward, or put things like covers in it so they did not melt inside and drip water everywhere!!!

Lyn will disclose the technique of Naniamo bars soon... because we are 'Border Revers' we learn that Canadian stuff, ay!

Recipe: Open fridge, search for proper container, open and eat...:wink:

Let me ask the boss, but you can pick up some when you visit:lol:

Our address: 9AA9. Go left on road at end of airstrip, left after you cross the bridge, second drive on right;-)

Wickenberg, do you know Scott Mccasland? Or his wife Kathy? They grew up there but were in Alaska for years.

Also there used to be a retired police officer Dallas Waddell.

Hmm, I don't think I know any of those people, sorry. I do know how to open the fridge and find the right container, I practice that regularly.

I'd want instant heat when traveling in that cold. A generator and small electric hot air heater is one proven method. Open fire works but can be hard to contain in the wind. Just make sure the oil and moisture breather line from the genset's engine crankcase to intake is insulated or has a heat source so it doesn't eventually freeze if used for a prolonged period (there's a thread here on that topic).

Beautiful country that Coppermine River. An author on flying Canada and a good read: https://www.dundurn.com/books/True-North

Gary

Out in Bethel last winter I had carb issues at -22F; I had to be very careful to keep her smooth and slow or she would not run right- no matter if she had been flying all day and been resting with the cover the last 20 minutes.

I now have a policy that if I see -25F, I am not taking a carb engine out unless there is a life threatening emergency. Even with an inversion you have to take off and climb.

Injected you can get a little colder.

Below 5F the heater would not keep up, so she would get colder inside the longer I was out.

Fun times!!

All you need to do is figure out what was wrong with that airplane. I've operated carbureted engines regularly at -40 and unintentionally, somewhat colder. If the heater doesn't work, figure out how to make it work. Lots of airplanes in the far north that operate in cold and put out lots of heat. You just have to figure out how to "improve" on what the factory built in. Original Super Cubs had lousy cabin heat, but there are lots of mods out there to improve that situation, and most northern based airplanes are equipped with them.

But, carburetor vs fuel injection in cold weather? Not much difference, at least not attributable to the cold.

MTV

Not to drift but carbs can and do work in cold as MTV notes. But they need to be 100% correct with no other intake leaks. Carb heat partially applied can help un-lean a mixture and help diagnose a lean run condition. If any contaminants (water/fine debris) pass the gascolator or carb finger screen they can build up and eventually restrict the main jet's flow by freezing any water and debris in the float bowl. I like to install a quick drain on the carb bowl drain and use it to remove any debris before flight when I do the gascolator. After an inflight stoppage of an O-360 from internal carb ice buildup in real cold I'm cautious.

Back to topic.

Gary

Thanks Airwolf! 66 17N, 114 16W elevation 1,246. Next time you're in YCO give me a call 982-3161, cell 445-6552.

I hope the exploration work picks up over the next year and we see more 'planes around.

If you're ever in the area of the cabin when on floats and you see my PA-12 tailed in to the beach, feel free to drop in for a cup of coffee. We don't get many two-legged visitors!

Pinned on my Ipad....I'm sometimes in the area too, we always monitor 126.70 and 121.50. A handheld can be your friend out there too.
I hope you get some nice weather. Watch out for the flat light....those snowdrifts are hard....as i'm sure you know:)

Not to drift but carbs can and do work in cold as MTV notes. But they need to be 100% correct with no other intake leaks. Carb heat partially applied can help un-lean a mixture and help diagnose a lean run condition. If any contaminants (water/fine debris) pass the gascolator or carb finger screen they can build up and eventually restrict the main jet's flow by freezing any water and debris in the float bowl. I like to install a quick drain on the carb bowl drain and use it to remove any debris before flight when I do the gascolator. After an inflight stoppage of an O-360 from internal carb ice buildup in real cold I'm cautious.

Back to topic.

Gary

While I agree some setups work well into the bitter below, some don't!

Some airplanes the doors seal very well, and windows seal tight, some don't.

Just like carb ice, some engines make it, others not so often.

Learn what you are flying, and prepare yourself. But in reality, when you drop down to -30, what you going to do if you have one of those hickups that just should not happen?

I love the idea to drain the carb bowl. Sometimes it is fun to pull a float bowl off a sled and show the driver what was in it:oops:

I've been toying with the idea of a belly pod, as a couple of you have suggested.

Even better though: I'd like to fly the (experimental) PA-12 to Alaska one of these Novembers and have the Cub experts there go to town on it during the winter - extended baggage, improved cabin heat, defroster, minor fabric work, X-brace, and a few other things. It would be an easy three-day trip from here to Fairbanks via Norman Wells and Dawson City.

I was, at one time, thinking of moving up to a 180 but this little bird has grown on me over the years. It does all we need in the summer on floats (big compartments) and makes a better (lighter) ski-plane. Just a little short on space but that can be remedied.

Nothing wrong with using carb heat to modify the air/fuel ratio in deep cold. It's best to keep the heat applied low enough to not raise the carb throat/throttle plate area to or just above freezing and create carb ice.

I'm convinced that ice from undrained water in the carb bowl will plug the main fuel jet or mixture control valve. It happened to me and applying immediate carb heat did not fix the problem. Working the mixture control off then back on apparently crushed the local ice goober and the engine restarted close to the ground. Plane was a PA-12-180.

Edit: Sorry for the drift and yes there's folks here that fly and fix planes for winter ops and storage.

Gary

The best solution to ice in fuel is to religiously use isopropyl alcohol with your fuel. I’ve regularly used IsoHeet in my fuel for years in winter. Keeping that water liquid allows you to sump it, and it may not freeze in the situation Gary describes.

Many pilots don’t think much about anti ice fluids in cold. We are really pretty spoiled by the suppliers of avgas, who deliver very clean fuel. But, moisture can creep in there.

Isopropyl alcohol is an approved anti ice additive for avgas.

MTV

Mike will reply but in the meantime 1% of 99% anhydrous Isopropyl per fuel volume is generally specified via either ASTM D910-** for aircraft fuels or by the airframe manufacturer. When first applied it cleans like prunes so drain everything well. Watch for rubber and O-ring incompatibility.

Gary

Mike will reply but in the meantime 1% of 99% anhydrous Isopropyl per fuel volume is generally specified via either ASTM D910-** for aircraft fuels or by the airframe manufacturer. When first applied it cleans like prunes so drain everything well. Watch for rubber and O-ring incompatibility.

Gary

Yep, and if antone questions the use of the automotive additive IsoHeet, refer them to the MSDS, Heres the pertinent point:

**** SECTION 2 - COMPOSITION, INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS ****Chemical Name
Isopropanol Proprietary Additive Miscellaneous:
CHEMICAL NAME
Isopropanol
CAS MIN 99
MAX 99
(none) 1 1
LIMIT VALUES
PEL 400 ppm

99% isopropanol. The only two anti ice additives approved for avgas are isopropanol and Prist.

Do NOT however, use yellow can Heet. Not the same....stick to the Heet brand in the red bottle.

MTV

Last edited:
After all this great dialog the OP could have been there, enjoyed a fine camp, learned what's important and returned home. Never dismiss the option for a turn around flight.

Except for WX which is now cold and breezy. I'd wait until March with substantially longer days and maybe somewhat milder weather? I like to fly around a full moon in winter to go camping. Better light at night and wolves to run with.

One hour's flight isn't bad and reasonable as a radius for fuel and look-see ops. Plenty of chances to scout the weather and return to base to plan for the next adventure.

Gary

My game camera at the lake reveals that, in past years, caribou have been walking and sleeping on the ice in front of the cabin at the end of February. So I'm fairly certain there will be no over-flow, at least on that part of the lake. And the snow is piled three-feet high on the picnic table so there's apparently little wind in that valley.

I do have the option of waiting until March though and I just might have to do that anyway if this miserable weather continues much longer. I just don't want to get into that sticky-snow season, and it does warm up much faster 100-miles inland than here on the coast.

Thanks for the advice on the isopropyl. I'll see if our local store has some.

It's in my nature to, perhaps, overestimate my requirements. I usually take "too much" gas, survival gear and I also tend to load up my plate at the buffet!

Look carefully - about 20 caribou sleeping on the ice.
EK000872.JPG

An inquisitive bear, just out of hibernation.
EK001014.JPG

A lucky wolf that made it through the winter.
EK001066.JPG

Mr. Moose.
EK000083.JPG

And his cousin.
EK000026.JPG

Attachments

• EK000872.JPG
    EK000872.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 363
  • EK001014.JPG
    EK001014.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 233
  • EK001066.JPG
    EK001066.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 279
  • EK000083.JPG
    EK000083.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 318
  • EK000026.JPG
    EK000026.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 316
This is still a part of the world where a guy can fly around in a light 'plane, find a nice spot, build a cabin, and the "gummint" pretty much leaves you alone - much as I imagine Alaska was like at one time before it became a bit more "civilized"!

Last edited:
Very nice location. I imagine hiking, boating, and fishing is just great fun. Are the bugs bad or is the ground dry enough to keep them down? How deep is the lake? Besides Lake Trout anything else to catch?

As far as ice in fuel I find that if I freeze the fuel in winter most of the water forms crystals and can be filtered before adding.

Gary

Back