• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AV gas thefts at Birchwood AK / PABV - SE ramp

zenpilot

Heads up / warning to all - there have been active gas thieves at PABV.
My airplane had gas stolen and the gas cap was incorrectly reattached recently. I didn't notice during my routine checks, until I actually pulled my wing covers. The thieves had undone several wing cover bungees to get to the gas caps, and then reattached them when they were done, so it was fairly unnoticeable during a quick drive-by look over.
I just talked to another airplane owner parked nearby who found his caps had been messed with recently. Same thing; they had to undo wing covers to get to the caps.
i'm posting this as a heads up and safety warning to the other owners, and I'll copy this post to some other sites. Think maybe it's time for the gates to be locked and set up a electronic pass like the shooting range and the parking at Merrill Field. I'd rather the state spend money on that, than a ramp surface reconstruction!
I'd also like to find the thieves and get them a 36 hour soak in the center of Knik Arm.

Gates are not as simple as it seems, if you fly into Merrill now you had better know the codes ahead of time. They had gates when all the tires got cut . The gate codes are no longer posted on the inside of the gate. So if it is after hours you could not get off the runway. Fuel theft seems to be a much bigger problem this year not sure why.
DENNY

It sounds like someone with at least a little aircraft experience.

Most kids would not try to close stuff back up.

Game cameras. Need to put them all over. Maybe up the number of night scopes on your ARs

There is a story of some wayward kids back in the 70's here... raided the one guys tank a few times. They did all kinds of damage, when the guys locked the fill nosel the hose got cut. When they went to a pump system out the top the valve at the bottom was hammered off and all the fuel got drained out.

Took a couple of nights of sitting, but the thieves showed up one night. When their had touched the gas tank all He!! broke loose.

The next morning when the one lad had to bring his dad to tow his car home it was quite an education for him. The vehicle had extra air conditioning due to buckshot, a lack of windows, and the words GAS THIEF spray painted on each side.

There was no gas theft for a long time after that around here.

I imagine with the number of aircraft owners up there you could set up night watch for a few days at the airports and catch the jacka$$. Maybe find what police own planes out there and ask for their help.

Last edited:
the theif was there this morning(6:45) and APD talked to them.... but he was just sitting in his truck.. I witnessed them steeling gas from truck last monday morning, and they stole some stuff here... my land lord is turning over video to APD who stoped by today..

I will post pictures of the truck

0d0a50ec85adcd7f699b20df2e860333.jpg
d4757276b3cf1e86f2d29b84036d6b09.jpg
975d17548838e7be510c94bda1d791f5.png
f77c01f0069050bd2c7b82c161b506e9.png

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

A bad local economy, stupid State government, and an overloaded police department who's tired of arresting bad guys for the Courts to let go. Welcome to Alaska.

It sounds like someone with at least a little aircraft experience.

Most kids would not try to close stuff back up.

Game cameras. Need to put them all over. Maybe up the number of night scopes on your ARs

There is a story of some wayward kids back in the 70's here... raided the one guys tank a few times. They did all kinds of damage, when the guys locked the fill nosel the hose got cut. When they went to a pump system out the top the valve at the bottom was hammered off and all the fuel got drained out.

Took a couple of nights of sitting, but the thieves showed up one night. When their had touched the gas tank all He!! broke loose.

The next morning when the one lad had to bring his dad to tow his car home it was quite an education for him. The vehicle had extra air conditioning due to buckshot, a lack of windows, and the words GAS THIEF spray painted on each side.

There was no gas theft for a long time after that around here.

I imagine with the number of aircraft owners up there you could set up night watch for a few days at the airports and catch the jacka$$. Maybe find what police own planes out there and ask for their help.

Perhaps we need some one to donate an old car and work it over like this kid got and then park it by the front gate for awhile. They might get the message that their efforts are not welcomed.

Sort of reminds me of the old rancher that piled up a bunch of rocks like a grave at the entrance to his pasture. He put a sign at the headstone place that said “Here lies the last SOB that didn’t shut my gate”. Never got left open after that.

And I bet that Dad was WAY impressed with little Johnny's life choices.

Web

Dad did help retrieve the vehicle, but the young one was never in trouble after that, more than a respectable person today!

The quote I heard he told the neighbor: "It's tough to be tough."

Big lake too

Budy of of mine 180 was drained as well as a second 180 at big lake on the 19th. Fuel caps on the one without chaines were tossed in the snow bank. Both had wing covers on.

Rocket

I lost 10 to 15 gallons out of my cub parked at PAWS .
This sucks

They gave him all the new rope he ever needed. Good thing he didn't take a life instead of goods and fuel. POS.

Gary

Back