• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Which cub is this?

Scouter

SPONSOR
Exeter Maine
A close friend of the family died recently, he used to take a lot of slides
this one is from 1960

is this a pa11? I thought there were bumps on the cowl for 90 hp supercub and PA11?

jim

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 434
Doesn’t look like enough slope in the windshield to be a PA 11

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

It’s a PA-18-95. The 11 and 90 hp 18s only had the cowl bumps if they had shielded spark plugs, as in if radio installed to suppress ignition noise. I suspect most of those bumps were added after the fact, since many of these planes were delivered without electrical systems.

MTV

The windshield V-brace is a giveaway....V on the PA-18 and upside down (⋏) on the PA-11.

Gary

It’s a PA-18-95. The 11 and 90 hp 18s only had the cowl bumps if they had shielded spark plugs, as in if radio installed to suppress ignition noise. I suspect most of those bumps were added after the fact, since many of these planes were delivered without electrical systems.

MTV

thanks Mike that clears it up. My dads 18-95 I learned to fly in had bumps on the cowl I thought they all did.
I saw this really nice looking -11 for sale that has cowl bumps was throwing me off:lol:

image.jpeg
Jim

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 391
Since you are all fine detectives, what was my friends new car in this pic? I can see it's a Chevy, gotta be in the 50s with that grill, that's all I have. Was a bit before my time

image.jpeg
Jim

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 351
Like Gary said, easy way to tell is the windshield V brace, 18 has a V, 11 has a /\ brace

Glenn

not anymore !!!! except for the big numbers my 11 looks identical to that and there is another 11 here that looks just like that except for blue trim !! and both have v braces :Gnotsure:

so now you have j-3's disguised as 11's and and 11's disguised as 18's

Last edited:
Atlee Dodge has an STC to replace the PA-11 /\ brace and top deck with PA-18 V components.

Edit: Or at least used to...I bought it from them but never had it done.

Gary

Last edited:
There was one back in the late 1990's available from Atlee Dodge for a top deck tubing conversion. I no longer own the plane or that paperwork and may well be wrong in what it allowed. Just a recollection. But yes the V would be better.

Edit: There's some stuff here under J-3/PA-11 337 and FA: https://cubclub.org/printed/EffectiveFebruary2015-Printed&TechnicalForm.pdf

I had paperwork from Atlee he sent so maybe it was only a 337/FA. Over my pay grade now.

Gary

Last edited:
thanks Mike that clears it up. My dads 18-95 I learned to fly in had bumps on the cowl I thought they all did.
I saw this really nice looking -11 for sale that has cowl bumps was throwing me off:lol:

View attachment 35157
Jim

Just slightly off topic but I am totally ignorant here.

Could someone guage the size of those those tyres, they just "look" right for a SuperCub.

Kind regards

Stew

The first one looks like 26s the second 29s. Why I always recommend 26s for the 11. It's all about appearances.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Back