• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Does/did anyone make a certified AI with built in CDI that fits in a standard hole?

patanke

I have the opportunity to install a Garman 430 W (that I got for a song from a buddy doing a full glass upgrade in his Pilatus)) in my Citabria. However, I do not have the panel space for a CDI. While the panel is apart, I would replace my turn and bank indicator with an artificial horizon. It’s a VFR only plane but I would prefer not having to revert to my partial panel skills if I end up in the soup.

Is anyone aware of a certified “all in one” electric artificial horizon and integral course deviation indicator, that would fit in the same space as my turn and bank indicator? I know I could go for a big dollar glass solution, but I’m really looking for something I can find “yellow tagged” on the used market.

Scott

The G-5 has an HSI page on it, but it will be some bucks when all said and done.

I don't think a cheap fix is available...

One of the display options on the 430 is a CDI. It’s really accurate, and a great tool for staying right on course.

One of the display options on the 430 is a CDI. It’s really accurate, and a great tool for staying right on course.

^^^^
This. If you’re not trying to certify as IFR, you don’t need an external CDI.

MTV

You're trying to combine a flight instrument with a nav instrument. Not sure it exists down here with us mortals. The closest thing I can think of is the Bendix, KCS 55A system. But that's a nav instrument that can be combined with an electric gyro. That gyro is more of a DG, though.

Web

These things are nice, and not too hard on the bank for all it does

www.grtavionics.com/home/efis-systems/mini-ga-general-aviation-efis/

yPLGYYH.jpg

I don't think I'd add a separate CDI if one was available on the 430.
I do think that the Garmin G5 electronic horizon's HSI display can be driven by input from that 430.
Without a nav source to drive it, that "HSI page" on the G5 is only a DG.

Back