Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Olympics

  1. #1
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    8,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Olympics

    Our local Olympian 4th trip to games

    Go Erin

    https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/eri...pening-cermony

    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes 68Papa, OldCuby, WWhunter, tedwaltman1, SJ liked this post

  2. #2
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    8,929
    Post Thanks / Like
    I goofed, we have 2.

    Go Maddie

    https://www.teamusa.org/us-biathlon/...Maddie-Phaneuf

    Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 02-08-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes SJ liked this post

  3. #3
    Dave Calkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to toot Alaska's horn or anything, but we have so many Winter Olympians this year that I cannot keep their names or bios straight, except for one, Tyler Kornfield, a nordic skier.

    His Dad is an airplane guy in Anchorage. Previous maintenance facility owner at Lake Hood and my first A&P job at Lake Hood. Turned FAA ASI. Went to OAS. Retired. Early C-180 owner currently re-engining his plane, but has to shelve his project to travel to Korea to watch his son compete!!!!! Congratulations to Ed! Good Luck to Tyler!!

  4. #4
    aktango58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    18AA
    Posts
    8,596
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Calkins View Post
    Not to toot Alaska's horn or anything, but we have so many Winter Olympians this year that I cannot keep their names or bios straight, except for one, Tyler Kornfield, a nordic skier.

    His Dad is an airplane guy in Anchorage. Previous maintenance facility owner at Lake Hood and my first A&P job at Lake Hood. Turned FAA ASI. Went to OAS. Retired. Early C-180 owner currently re-engining his plane, but has to shelve his project to travel to Korea to watch his son compete!!!!! Congratulations to Ed! Good Luck to Tyler!!
    Now THAT is cool to learn!

    All else aside, congratulations to all those that choose to compete at that level. It really is a lifestyle anymore, even more than Valdez
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

  5. #5
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    9,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    one of Airframe's guys is there too?(same? different?)

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Austin TX Ya'll
    Posts
    676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    I goofed, we have 2.

    Go Maddie

    https://www.teamusa.org/us-biathlon/...Maddie-Phaneuf

    Glenn
    Biathlon is such a bad ass endurance sport, skiing at 180-200 BPM then you have slow your heart rate to 120-130 BPM to shoot. Basically your practicing winter
    warfare. To bad it doesn't translate well to television. On the bright if some one is stupid enough to invade your country during winter you can put on white camo
    and grab your sniper rifle and start killing bad guys.
    Likes 68Papa, JP liked this post

  8. #8
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    8,929
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    I goofed, we have 2.

    Go Maddie

    https://www.teamusa.org/us-biathlon/...Maddie-Phaneuf

    Glenn

    Oops, goofed again. Saranac local Chris Mazdzer wins silver in Luge, first medal for the men ever in Luge

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/winter-...-singles-luge/

    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Bowie liked this post

  9. #9
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    8,929
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ndill View Post
    Biathlon is such a bad ass endurance sport, skiing at 180-200 BPM then you have slow your heart rate to 120-130 BPM to shoot. Basically your practicing winter
    warfare. To bad it doesn't translate well to television. On the bright if some one is stupid enough to invade your country during winter you can put on white camo
    and grab your sniper rifle and start killing bad guys.
    Go watch the video on this Alpine event. Krueger falls at the start and some of the field run over him and everyone passes him. He comes from 64th and smokes everyone by 100 meters at the end

    https://www.olympic.org/news/krueger...kiathlon-sweep

    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes JP liked this post

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to Kikkan Randall and Jessie Diggins. XC skiing's newest golden girls! Great race!

  11. #11
    68Papa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Congrats to Kikkan Randall and Jessie Diggins. XC skiing's newest golden girls! Great race!
    Kikkan is 35 years old and this is her 5th Olympics - Amazing!! Congratulations Kikkan!!!
    Likes mike mcs repair, chrisinak, cubflier liked this post

  12. #12
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    8,929
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Congrats to Kikkan Randall and Jessie Diggins. XC skiing's newest golden girls! Great race!
    Just watched it, incredible

    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes stewartb, mike mcs repair liked this post

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Austin TX Ya'll
    Posts
    676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Note to self : Don't be stupid enough to invade Norway during the winter, it will not end well.

  14. #14
    aktango58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    18AA
    Posts
    8,596
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ndill View Post
    Biathlon is such a bad ass endurance sport, skiing at 180-200 BPM then you have slow your heart rate to 120-130 BPM to shoot. Basically your practicing winter
    warfare. To bad it doesn't translate well to television. On the bright if some one is stupid enough to invade your country during winter you can put on white camo
    and grab your sniper rifle and start killing bad guys.
    The Biathalon is based on Norway's old border guard test: Take skis and rifle and cross these mountains and shoot these scores while doing it. Why do you think Russia and Germany had so much trouble in that part of the world in the wars?

    It is a fun event to do, and if you ever get the chance check out the rifle actions used today! SWEET!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Austin TX Ya'll
    Posts
    676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    The Biathalon is based on Norway's old border guard test: Take skis and rifle and cross these mountains and shoot these scores while doing it. Why do you think Russia and Germany had so much trouble in that part of the world in the wars?

    It is a fun event to do, and if you ever get the chance check out the rifle actions used today! SWEET!
    Its kind of like rodeo. Rodeo was developed from the skills cowboys used on the job. So biathlon is really just rodeo for KILLERS.
    Likes Ruffair liked this post

  16. #16
    Farmboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glens Falls, NY
    Posts
    1,525
    Post Thanks / Like
    George, did I mention my grandfather came over from Norway? 🤠


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Similar Threads

  1. Spain Olympics for those that missed the summer games
    By scout88305 in forum Sportsman's Den
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 08:18 PM
  2. Barnstorming in the Olympics? Why not?
    By Aviator in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 05:33 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •