• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

CFI Refresher Courses

Richgj3

BENEFACTOR
LI,NY
Anybody use an online course for your FIRC?

Which ones do do you like? I have done the weekend FIRC for the past couple of renewals but I just got a flyer in the mail from King Schools about theirs. Not sure what I’m going to do this year.

Rich

Yes. I do AceCFI. Cost me $75 four years ago. Free forevermore. But King "comped" me one two years ago, and it is quite good.

The deal is - the FAA wants you to be "engaged" for 16 hours, so if you are a fast reader with a good short term memory you need to figure out a way to make the computer think you are studying diligently for the full 16 hours. It asks if you are awake once each 4-6 minutes, but it does so sneakily - you never know.

So we need an "App" that keeps the computer informed that we are reading this stuff over and over. Until somebody invents that, you need to poke at your computer maybe every four minutes. For Ace, that means hit the "next" or "back" button.

The 16 hour classroom approach is good, but seemingly interminable. Jeppessen originally had a written course that took maybe three hours to complete, but I think the Feds shut that down.

The thing to avoid are the videos. If you are like me, reading is about nine times faster than watching a video. They always start with some guy (why couldn't it be Stormy?) telling you "This is an airplane . . ."

Guys, do what I do. Fly with a designated examiner every two years, costs a little more, takes way less time, and I learn something!

sj

P.S. Also counts as your flight review.

I used to do that but I lost touch with the only DPE around here who was allowed to give the CFI ride. Used to be a lot easier and more pleasant.

Rich

I’ve done it several ways: Based on activity, ride with DPE, classroom FIRC and on line FIRC. I MUCH prefer the online FIRC from AOPA, for several reasons. First, you can complete the lessons at your own pace, and stretch it out over three months or so if you want. Second, AOPA has a LOT of good quality optional videos many of which I’ve found very educational. Third, they also give you “electives” so you can choose areas of interest to review to tailor the course to emphasize areas of knowledge you may be weak in or more interested in.

My least favorite renewal method was the butt buster weekend refresher......ow!! Next least favorite was the “based on experience”. I renewed with a DPE once and that was okay, but not as knowledge intense as I’ve found the AOPA FIRC to be.

ive also used a “Brand X” online FIRC and found it to be far less intensive than the AOPA FIRC. I just renewed via AOPA, and I’ll go there again in two years. I find that memory tends to fade in some areas that we don’t use regularly, and that course gives you the option of choosing areas to work on, and additional study materials if you want to go a bit deeper.

MTV

I’ve done it several ways: Based on activity, ride with DPE, classroom FIRC and on line FIRC. I MUCH prefer the online FIRC from AOPA, for several reasons. First, you can complete the lessons at your own pace, and stretch it out over three months or so if you want. Second, AOPA has a LOT of good quality optional videos many of which I’ve found very educational. Third, they also give you “electives” so you can choose areas of interest to review to tailor the course to emphasize areas of knowledge you may be weak in or more interested in.

My least favorite renewal method was the butt buster weekend refresher......ow!! Next least favorite was the “based on experience”. I renewed with a DPE once and that was okay, but not as knowledge intense as I’ve found the AOPA FIRC to be.

ive also used a “Brand X” online FIRC and found it to be far less intensive than the AOPA FIRC. I just renewed via AOPA, and I’ll go there again in two years. I find that memory tends to fade in some areas that we don’t use regularly, and that course gives you the option of choosing areas to work on, and additional study materials if you want to go a bit deeper.

MTV

I've done the AOPA FIRC the last 3 times... Pretty simple renewal process. I'm due in June and am actually thinking about an add on CFI rating in airplanes (Currently a Helo CFII) to satisfy the requirement.

American Flyers has been good to me. Pay $99 once and renew for free after that.
I pay the $25.95 fee to simplify the IACRA paperwork. It makes it paperless and you can print your temporary certificate.

So easy.

Yep, AOPAs FIRC is also paperless. And, portions of the course qualify for Wings credit. That gets me a 10% discount on my insurance.

MTV

I've done AOPA's Online FIRC several times. Pretty straight forward and simple to complete required documents online afterwards.

I have been doing American Flyers. Not a DPE anywhere around here, so that is a tough option.

I really dislike the online, mainly because all I feel I am getting is the new 'buzzword' vocabulary. Every time the step out some new idea, it is really the same stuff using different terms. Makes me less engaged, not more.

I might try the AOPA one, as if I need to spend that much time in front of the computer, I would like to learn. If there were weekend courses I would love to attend and do that because frankly, I learn from hearing questions. Talk to guys doing instruction and you will learn new ideas on solving problems and teaching students.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike, I will do that next time.

You guys are much more into the CFI program than I am wanting to learn to be a better instructor. Good for you. What instruction I do is in the Super Cub, J-3 or gliders so it is basic stuff that has changed little over the years. I’m not a CFI for hire, just friends and young pilots around the airport teaching simple aviation and tailwheel skills. If I’m doing a Flight Review I get other pilots to join in a round robin discussion of safety rules and regulations so all can participate in a learning atmosphere. Old school instruction. I’m lazy, just wanting to get the renewal every two years so I like the on-line option.

I do like to keep up with what is new in aviation - but I too do the group approach to ground instruction and teach almost exclusively in taildraggers.

I do not like a lot of the new stuff (e.g. PAVE & IMSAFE before beginning the engine failure memory items) but in order to not like it I have to understand it. I use the FIRC not as a way to keep abreast (although there are tidbits in there), but as a way to get the requirements out of the way and continue to learn in other ways. I normally spend about four hours on a FIRC.

One way to learn interesting stuff is on a forum like this. Right now there is a fascinating discussion on the J-3 forum about zoom climbs over obstacles. All of the math I have seen on the subject pertains to jet overspeed takeoffs (improved climb) and has nothing to do with close-in obstacles, but by golly, I may learn something!

I've used American Flyers for a several renewal cycles and it gets the job done cheap but i feel like i could learn a lot more in 16 hours if they invested more into their program. Next time I'll try one of the other online FIRCs like AOPA.
I've tried half a dozen online IA refresher courses (including some really cheesy ones) and finally found one I like by AMT. Video presentations by industry experts work for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SuperCub.Org mobile app

American flyers is what I’ve done for almost 20 years. Just as boring as the first time. Pay the 7yo $10 to click next every 5 mins and tell me when it says i can take the test. He’s probably going to want $$ more this time. I find you learn more by just being with other active instructors. Not the new low time builder type though.

MTV,
How long does the AOPA course take? Is there a "keeping you active" mechanism in the course?

Thanks

MTV,
How long does the AOPA course take? Is there a "keeping you active" mechanism in the course?

Thanks

It is a very well organized course. You can go through it at your pace, over as long as three months I think. I just go through one module each day till I’m done, but take a day off if I’m busy that day. I don’t recall how long I took this last time, but it would be a piece of cake to get it done in two weeks, but could be done in a week if need be.

There are two menus of topics, one which contains required modules. The other contains a menu of several modules, and you select which ones you want to complete.

some of the modules give you wings credit, another qualifies as security refresher training.

i figure if I’m going to pay to sit in front of a computer for a bunch of hours, I want to get something out of it. This course has a good bit of good information.

Mike

Back