• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thoughts on the Pa-11?

cook11

I have been approached about a homebuilt Pa-11 that is powered by a 0-200 no flaps with Pa-18 tail surfaces that's for sale. The fuselage and wings are from Nick Smith and has wing tanks. Now I am new to the Pa-11 and I am interested to know how this aircraft would perform compared to a heavier flap equipped 0-320/0-360 Super Cub as I am looking at a Amphibian equipped 180hp homebuilt Smith Cub too? I would be operating mostly from pavement too so my concern would be operating on pavement. Would VG's help this aircraft out with its slow speed control? Also is there a good light weight amphib float that would work well on a Pa-11?

Thanks!

I have been approached about a homebuilt Pa-11 that is powered by a 0-200 no flaps with Pa-18 tail surfaces that's for sale. The fuselage and wings are from Nick Smith and has wing tanks. Now I am new to the Pa-11 and I am interested to know how this aircraft would perform compared to a heavier flap equipped 0-320/0-360 Super Cub as I am looking at a Amphibian equipped 180hp homebuilt Smith Cub too? I would be operating mostly from pavement too so my concern would be operating on pavement. Would VG's help this aircraft out with its slow speed control? Also is there a good light weight amphib float that would work well on a Pa-11?

Thanks!

If that aircraft is not over build and heavy is should be one of the nicest flying airplanes you ever have a chance of flying. Whats the empty weight?

Glenn

Cubdriver2 the empty weight is 747lbs with a Gross weight of 1400lbs. The Pa-11 has electrics too so it does not need to be hand propped. Seeing your avatar I have also been looking at a J4 Super Cub Coupe that is for sale too. I am not sure if I have talked to you on the forum about it but.....The J4 fuselage is lengthened with Pa-18 tail surfaces. The wing is Pa-18 that is extended with flaps and drooped leading edge. C-FVES is the registration.

Cheers!

My C90-8 11 weighed 790 in dope and 101 fabric bare bone with 800x4 wheels and tires and metal prop. I'm almost flying the same configuration now with lite weight starter, B&C lite dynamo and a 3.9lb earthX battery. On 31" BW and safety cables it's 874lbs. 31" BW and tires are 44+ lbs heavier then 800x4 tire and wheels so 830 lbs on 800x4s. Not saying 747lbs is wrong but tough to see how they got there. But, mine was 760ish before I added things. mam90, whats yours weigh again?

Glenn

Last edited:
Lets just say I agree with you- I'm suspicious of 747 with any electrics. Mines within a few pounds of yours Glenn...

I have asked for empty weight confirmation. Comparing it to a 150-160hp Super Cub how does the Pa-11 compare? Do VG's help the Pa-11's during the landing/takeoff phase since there are no flaps?

My opinion is the 11 is great if you're not hauling big loads out of short strips. I take mine to Alaska every few years to fish and as long as I'm reasonable with my load I can fly alongside all my buddies with 18's. I like my VG's, but if you search this site you'll find plenty of varied opinions. But it's not reasonable to compare it to an 18 because they're different airplanes with different missions. If I still lived in AK, I'd likely have an 18.

I am curious to know what the Pa-18 tail surfaces would do to the handling characteristics? How have the VG's been of use for you mam90? Do you have your Pa-11 on floats? What is your useful load?

750# is not unreasonable for a computed weight, starting with factory numbers. Get near a scale and you will add a hundred pounds, even without electrics. I do not know why.

I certainly agree about the different mission for a 150/160 Cub and these light and fast J-3-like cowled Cubs. And having flown the 150/160/180 versions with all sorts of mods, if you go Super Cub, you will like the handling of a stock, light 160 (x-member and shoulder harnesses for safety).

I have flown a J-3 with balanced elevators. Flew ok, but in comparison to a stock J-3 there is only one word: YUK!

All opinion.

Cook, I’m on wheels, happy with my 18 tail and VG’s, and if useful load is important you should get an 18.... luckily I only weigh 150 pounds.......

Im with the others on the 747 empty weight. Seems light especialy beings that they had to do something to get a 1400# max. I will differ with the others on the limits of an -11. Only time i worry about strip lenght is under hot and heavy conditions with strips under 800' or so (loaded up).
0927171542.jpg
Get it in the door and haul it.

Attachments

• 0927171542.jpg
    0927171542.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 771
Ed, couldn’t agree more.. just trying to be a little diplomatic here in an open forum........��

Cook, I’m on wheels, happy with my 18 tail and VG’s, and if useful load is important you should get an 18.... luckily I only weigh 150 pounds.......

I soled my son at 110lbs in mine, just imagine if you can what that must have been like for him

Glenn

I learned to fly in a PA-11. Since then I've flown everything from light sport to heavy Boeing aircraft and it's still my favorite airplane to fly. Performance when the weight is kept reasonable is great as well.

If I needed to go LSA my pick would be hands down a PA-11. Its both certified and LSA. My father has an O-200 powered 11 with modern (light weight) starter, alternator, battery, and radio on a set of Baumann 1500 floats. Not sure on the propeller but it definitely doesn't favor cruise speed. Yes its easy to hand prop but watching someone in their mid 70's getting in and out of it, thinking of what it would be like in a river with swift current, a starter is a good thing. Necessary no, smart yes. what a great performer! Every time I fly it I jump out with a big grin on my face, it reminds me how much fun flying can be. Question is what's your mission? Speed or heavy hauling not the airplane. 100 mile radius and weekend gear its a perfect airplane. Hire someone every once and a while to get the bulk gear to your remote location and you get to have all the fun. Unlike some of the newer aircraft in this category you can find new and used parts all over the place. The one mod that would make it near perfect is an 18 top cabin and seat. Atlee never had an 18 for his himself just a J-3 modified to an 11 with an O-200 and 18 top cabin on EDO 1400's.

My Pa11 was 799 without electrics. 8.50x6 tires amd double puck brakes. O-235 Lycoming

836 with Battery, starter,and gen.

before and after VG's.......with vg's the aileron authority was much better at slow speeds. Not really gonna say it got off shorter with the VG's.

stock unbalanced tail. 2 18 gallon wing tanks.

Great airplane, but I was always thinking of owning a SuperCub. ...flaps, 150 hp, better visibility, higher gross, easier access to STC'ed "improvements". Bigger skis and the horrspower to get them unstuck. faster cruise.

If I needed to go LSA my pick would be hands down a PA-11. Its both certified and LSA. My father has an O-200 powered 11 with modern (light weight) starter, alternator, battery, and radio on a set of Baumann 1500 floats. Not sure on the propeller but it definitely doesn't favor cruise speed. Yes its easy to hand prop but watching someone in their mid 70's getting in and out of it, thinking of what it would be like in a river with swift current, a starter is a good thing. Necessary no, smart yes. what a great performer! Every time I fly it I jump out with a big grin on my face, it reminds me how much fun flying can be. Question is what's your mission? Speed or heavy hauling not the airplane. 100 mile radius and weekend gear its a perfect airplane. Hire someone every once and a while to get the bulk gear to your remote location and you get to have all the fun. Unlike some of the newer aircraft in this category you can find new and used parts all over the place. The one mod that would make it near perfect is an 18 top cabin and seat. Atlee never had an 18 for his himself just a J-3 modified to an 11 with an O-200 and 18 top cabin on EDO 1400's.

Im looking for a set of Baumann 1500’s for my J-3/PA-11. Sounds like my Cub is set up much like your Dad’s. I’m heading up to AK in July, maybe I’ll run into you. I’d love to see his float installation..

321C7FF4-0C2D-4D6A-B8D3-E5D48B032ECC.jpg

Attachments

• 321C7FF4-0C2D-4D6A-B8D3-E5D48B032ECC.jpg
    321C7FF4-0C2D-4D6A-B8D3-E5D48B032ECC.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 508
what could they do to raise the gross wt to 1400 lbs, I see no problem with a 1400 lb gross wt, now that basic med is in effect. It simple means you could put two people in the plane and still have room for fuel.

PA-11? Can't say enough good about the Cub Special. It's a bridge Cub and for what it is it does a great deal really, really well. And, best of all, it's an absolute joy to fly. Really hard to put it back in the hangar most days.

PA-11? Can't say enough good about the Cub Special. It's a bridge Cub and for what it is it does a great deal really, really well. And, best of all, it's an absolute joy to fly. Really hard to put it back in the hangar most days.

If you ate more JP you’d have more beef to push with. [emoji38] 135 lbs vs 800... why do you think it’s hard to put back in?

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

If you ate more JP you’d have more beef to push with. [emoji38] 135 lbs vs 800... why do you think it’s hard to put back in?

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

I just don't want to put it back, period. Especially on those magical summer nights over Spud Land.

I don’t dare weigh mine, although I’d like to just out of curiosity. It weighed in at 866 at the Johnson Brothers place, with a no-electric c90, Dakota wings and spars, 24 gallon wing tank, -18 top deck, exp. -18 front seat, pa-20 feathers, full interior and 850’s.

Since then... well heck, let’s just say like it’s owner it likes to eat.
Added a 4 lb battery, radio and wiring for probably 3 lbs, wind generator of 5 lbs if I remember right, 4 lb light bar, and 29” ABW’s.
So before shoehorning myself into the seat I’d guess I’m pushing 900+ all day. I did lose the metal prop and shaved some front end weight.

Like Dave said, I dream about more.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I don’t dare weigh mine, although I’d like to just out of curiosity. It weighed in at 866 at the Johnson Brothers place, with a no-electric c90, Dakota wings and spars, 24 gallon wing tank, -18 top deck, exp. -18 front seat, pa-20 feathers, full interior and 850’s.

Since then... well heck, let’s just say like it’s owner it likes to eat.
Added a 4 lb battery, radio and wiring for probably 3 lbs, wind generator of 5 lbs if I remember right, 4 lb light bar, and 29” ABW’s.
So before shoehorning myself into the seat I’d guess I’m pushing 900+ all day. I did lose the metal prop and shaved some front end weight.

Like Dave said, I dream about more.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

That freakin' light bar....

860 here. Oh, well....

Heres another monkey wrench I'll throw into the equation. Some lucky pilots only get one shot in a lifetime to own a pa11. A super cub you can find most times in a couple months. I have been blessed to own one for 2200hrs and get to fly 3 others, so far.

Glenn

what could they do to raise the gross wt to 1400 lbs, I see no problem with a 1400 lb gross wt, now that basic med is in effect. It simple means you could put two people in the plane and still have room for fuel.

The OP is talking about an experimental 11, but with a certified 11, probably lots of money and a few modifications. My 11 has PA-18 strut fittings and a SC topdeck. I'm sure given enough money the GW could be increased to 1500 lbs. In spite of the Basic Med passage, there are still points for the Light Sport Option.

My 11 at the 3:00 minute mark on Baumann 1500 A floats. If it doesn't work its on youtube under Greenville Maine International seaplane fly-in 2010. mine is heavy with extended wings, micro VG's, 1 17 gallon wing tank, c90-8, mac 1B90 prop. May have had Willy B's prop on in video. https://youtu.be/9F6AJNIpx98

Back