• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Univair J-3 Cowl

Little_Cub

Palmer, Alaska
We have a Legend J-3 with 500 total time.. the Univair cowl has cracked above the air cleaner. Has anyone had issues like this, it seems a bit early for this sorta thing. There is no wire in this area, only folded flat. We called Univair but they aren't willing to discuss making the product any better.

Anyone have cracks in their Univair cowl?

thank you
frank

cowl.jpg

Attachments

• cowl.jpg
    cowl.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 273
I am going to post the same answer here. The Univair cowl is an exact copy of the J-3 cowl, which did not have wires under the rolled edges and which was not designed for the Brackett filter. The original Maze filter doesn't touch the cowl.

Bob is correct... just had a J3 in the shop to do the Grove disk brake conversion and its cowl does not have wire in it... however it has been modified slightly for the air filter... unfortunately it left to its home airport before I saw this thread...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Univair builds off the original Piper drawing. I would bet it would take quite a bit of paperwork to modify that part and get FAA approval.

I made concrete forms and formed my own cowl. I was really proud of that - I was 26, and not a metalworker. Rolled edges just like the factory.

So maybe a thousand hours and a decade later I installed the Brackett filter. That occasioned the very first crack in my beautiful handiwork. I was so pissed I went back to the stock filter. Now, 4000 hours and a half century later the only fatigue crack in my work of art is the Brackett crack. Same place. I am still frosted, but I do not let it interfere with my enjoyment of the Cub.

May I suggest flush rivets and Bondo? You would be amazed at how well that kind of invisible repair will hold up!

Not Univair's fault!

This is also posted on the J-3 thread. Bob.

I agree it’s not anyone’s fault, just frustrating.. it does make contact in the corner so we will fabricate an internal layer to help support and get rid of the hasty patch.. today puttin’ 29’s on that’s more fun anyway! thanks guys!

I agree it’s not anyone’s fault, just frustrating.. it does make contact in the corner so we will fabricate an internal layer to help support and get rid of the hasty patch.. today puttin’ 29’s on that’s more fun anyway! thanks guys!

Frank, my first Cub with a Continental with the 0200 motor mounts. It shakes a lot more at start up and shut down. Even worse with a composite prop

Glenn

I just sold my Legend with 700 hours on it in 12 years. I converted to the Bracket filter very early on, maybe after 100 hours and had no problem in that area.

Rich

Back