Thread: Maule thread

Post Thanks / Like

Maule thread

Couldn't believe there are no Maule threads yet !! So I thought I'd start one.
    Couldn't get Steve to include a Maule thread years ago so I put my Maule on the Back Burner (Ok that may not be the real reason !!!!)
    bought it from Wentworth with the intention of putting a franklin 220 on it.
    Acquired the 220 Franklin and most of the Hardware to do it, but Maule never got their paperwork in order and I didn't feel like taking the time or expense of getting it approved.
    My Mechanic of approximately 15 years decided to retire Last year and move back to Uganda and wanted something to tinker with while there so I sent the Maule with him.
    Its in its final stages of assembly as originally configured . (180 HP)
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.
    Likes Rick-CAS liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My Maule can land anywhere your SuperCub can land. Once!

Post Thanks / Like
    There were some guys that ran a small air service in the Interior of Alaska, they are almost all gone now. Back in their day, they would take their Cubs out and put new hunting strips in. The strips were very short for a Supercub, they called them 'Maule Traps'...
    Thanks Airguide thanked for this post
    Likes L18C-95, Dave Calkins liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me of being in a group of 8-10 Super Cubs heading to the first Red River Redneck Fly-In. We were jabbering on 122.75 and going about 70 mph and then we started hearing Bill Dincan and a group of Maules coming down from the north west going 170 mph. Met some real characters and life long friends at that get together.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Seen a few cubs in cub strips need fixed before getting out also.

What model Maule Brian? I thought there were a couple of Maules with 220s on them, there are plenty of them with smaller Franklins.

Different plane than a cub, but really nice to travel at 130 with big tires and loafing the engine, run her hard and I get 140+, and it cost half of what the 180s are going for.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Many decades ago three of us were considering a partnership - choices were a Maule, a C-180, or a Mooney. We wound up with one of each. The Mooney was a B model; relatively slow. The Maule had a 210 HP Continental. And the 180 was a really clean 1956 aircraft. I was the instructor - my very first 180 flight was IFR out of Vero Beach with a coffee grinder radio. Solo.

Ditto the Maule - picked it up in Big Fork. Flew a lot like a Cub. We had these birds for maybe four years.

My choice? For fun, get a 180. For speed get a Mooney. If you are at all inclined to get a Maule, find a good Clipper. Too bad the Pacer didn't come with a stick.

I did have a couple Stinsons. A Franklin 220 Stinson would be really neat! Our 180 Franklin would go straight up with a load, and it was comfortable (and elegant).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    ......What model Maule Brian? I thought there were a couple of Maules with 220s on them, there are plenty of them with smaller Franklins......
    There was an Mr-220, & maybe also an M5.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tjere are some 0-470 powered Stinsons around here that kick ass. And its amazing since the wing looks so smalll.

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s a sure nice M6 on 35s for sale in the classifieds. If you look at the results from STOL Roundup, it didn’t use much more runway than a lot of the -18s....if I had more than one friend or girlfriend(s) I’d have to have it 300ft and 70mph is about as high and fast as my wife will tolerate

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post

What model Maule Brian?
    It is an mx-7 94 model if I remember right

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post

I did have a couple Stinsons. A Franklin 220 Stinson would be really neat! Our 180 Franklin would go straight up
    Yea. Maybe someday I'll find something like a Stinson to put the 220 in.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe someday? Stinsons with runout 165s have to be a dime a dozen. Isn't this a bolt-on STC? It would be an elegant screamer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sell the 220 to someone that wants it and put the O-540 on the M-7 and have a ball!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a M4 around here with a 220 Franklin in it years ago, maybe Skippy remembers as the guy Pete was from over by him. Climbed more vertical then any Carbon Cub I've ever seen.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Just sold an M7 235.
    Yes, it would out climb, out haul, and outrun, and, in the right hands, land and t/o shorter than a lot of PA 18 guys.
    No way to get around the 14 gph fuel burn though.
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago I was flying with Loni (cubdriver749er), we were landing places up a few different drainages here in Washington State. I was asking him if he had ever landed anyplace up this one drainage that I was currently flying up and he said there were only a couple that were long enough. After looking at this one from overhead for a few minutes that terminated into a hillside I decided to land. It was over tall cottonwood trees and pretty short but up hill for landing and downhill for takeoff. I landed it got out and surveyed it a little before taking off out of there. I cleared the trees but with not a lot of extra margin. I got on the radio and said that was exciting, Loni's response was where did you end up landing and I described it for him over the radio and he says I have never landed there. He flew up to watch me do it a second time and said if he was to land there we would have to log some of the trees before he could get back out. There was not very many times that I ever saw Loni pass on a spot I just landed, it was only lack of Horse power that kept him from landing. His Alaskan cub is a real performer so i am sure that would never happen today, same cub just better. Maule beat Super Cub that day!
    Likes FdxLou, 68Papa, Cub junkie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    40 years ago I had an M-5 235 N393X and it was lots of fun and fast. IFR panel and comfortable to fly same within reason and ice condx. Made several hunting trips on tires at the right weight and it always got me home with a full freezer. Good on Landes 2500 skis. Wanted to try floats but ended up downsizing as money got tight. I'd own another.

Gary
    Thanks Bowie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Many years ago I flew a homebuilt biplane with a 220 Franklinstein. It was the smoothest piston engine I've ever flown. I like how you can pull the top cover and the oil pan and look at the crankshaft and rods. I'm doing some repair on an airplane with a 220 and C/S now. I'm hoping I get to fly it in the spring. Wish they had a better track record and following. They sound beautiful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauleguy View Post
    Years ago I was flying with Loni (cubdriver749er), we were landing places up a few different drainages here in Washington State. I was asking him if he had ever landed anyplace up this one drainage that I was currently flying up and he said there were only a couple that were long enough. After looking at this one from overhead for a few minutes that terminated into a hillside I decided to land. It was over tall cottonwood trees and pretty short but up hill for landing and downhill for takeoff. I landed it got out and surveyed it a little before taking off out of there. I cleared the trees but with not a lot of extra margin. I got on the radio and said that was exciting, Loni's response was where did you end up landing and I described it for him over the radio and he says I have never landed there. He flew up to watch me do it a second time and said if he was to land there we would have to log some of the trees before he could get back out. There was not very many times that I ever saw Loni pass on a spot I just landed, it was only lack of Horse power that kept him from landing. His Alaskan cub is a real performer so i am sure that would never happen today, same cub just better. Maule beat Super Cub that day!
    I’m not sure it was a Maule beating a super cub, it’s more like big balls beat smaller balls that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Back around 2005, Maule introduced a throwback model, the M4-180V.
    Only it was a two-seater vs the original M4's four seats.
    180hp Lycoming, fixed pitch version for about $95K and constant speed version about $105K.
    AOPA Pilot had an article about them in the March 2005 issue.
    Price was up to $129K/139K by Dec 2006.
    I figured they'd sell scads of them-- comparable to the Husky or Top Cub and at the original price only about half the cost.
    And side-by-side seating for those that prefer it vs tandem.
    Unfortunately they only made about 12 of them and that was it.
    I saw one of these parked on the ramp yesterday and stopped to check it out.
    Turns out a guy from the next airport over bought it last fall.
    It was very nice-- in fact I wouldn't mind owning one. (you other Skywagon guys never heard that!)
    Here's a pic of that airplane I found on the internet.

Maule M4-180V.jpg
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok my m5 gets me where I need to go and we have had a lot of fun doing it thanks to you the supper cub group I think you when you let us play
    skyking

Post Thanks / Like
    The only Maules I've flown are both M-7's , on 235 the other is a 260 on wip 3000's . They are both fun to fly but the 260 is a lot better on floats. The owner has talked about putting the wheels on in the future for a trip, looking forward to flying it in the bush.