• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best PA-12 Exhaust/muffler?

tbone

Twin Cities, MN KANE
Anyone have suggestions on what muffler and possibly exhaust I should put on my PA-12 with Lycoming O-235-C?
After a great annual done by H.O. Aircraft in Blaine at home I am looking for a great way to eliminate the repetitive 25hr inspections on the muffler currently installed (see pic). Any performance or gain in heat for these cold MN winter days would be a great benefit.

21824e0ff04ea63b918fcc6ae0378abb.heic

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I have 0320 with Atlee Hotrod on my 12. Get plenty of heat in cabin. Most of my winter flying is -10 or warmer. it gets comfortable warm not ridiculous. I put it on during overhaul so not really sure if I gained any noticeable performance.

Can you please post a picture? I’m not sure if that one will work on the 100HP O-235.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I know a couple guys who reinstalled the stock O235 exhaust on their Grumman Yankees after installing a 320. The 320 is just a whisker wider than the 235.

AD 68-05-01 is now a 25 hour AD from 50?
Buy a new muffler and make it a every 100 hour requirement for the next 950 hours.
Buy a new shroud to hold what little heat your 0235 can make in.

I will get a picture tomorrow. My old 0320 exhaust sitting in the garage looks identical to what you currently have. I had the bail put in. Didn't have any issues before or after bail was placed. Went to hotrod for performance gains. Hopefully I got some. No complaints with either exhaust set up.

I know a couple guys who reinstalled the stock O235 exhaust on their Grumman Yankees after installing a 320. The 320 is just a whisker wider than the 235.

I have converted several airplanes from O-235 to O-320 and never found a difference in the width of the exhaust. All used the same exhaust system.

The AD on the muffler is inspected every 100 hrs until you reach 950 and after that it is every 50 hours like cruiser posted. I haven't seen anything in the Sutton paperwork that an O-320 is a requirement, might be worth calling them and then if you ever do install one you have the exhaust already. The exhaust pipes you have must be replaced with PA22 pipes which are almost identical to PA18 pipes if you install the O-320 per the STC's I have seen. The Hot Rod muffler will bolt up as well.

I used the original exhaust when converting from 235 to 320 30 yrs ago and it fit fine like Steve just said.

Back