• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Becker Com problems?

bob turner

I may have blown it. Started a 90 hp engine with the Becker ON.

I admit to knowing this is a lousy idea, and I also admit to having done it "occasionally" on King and Narco radios without adverse consequence.

The Becker no longer "receives". Is that my fault? I have seen nothing good about the Becker, and have been involved in their removal in favor of the new GTR -200. Every repair is over a half grand! Every one!

Offer still stands. I'll take all your Beckers, lol.

Seriously though, spiking a radio rarely happens on one occasion. Usually after several times. And the older radios (non digital) are much more resilient.

I've been installing an avionics relay that opens whenever the key or start button powers up the start relay. No forgetting and no more worries about the 'new guy'.

Web

Oops! Trig! Owner says he has done the same thing - never a problem. Not a Becker. I have not heard bad stuff about Trig.

Other than this what is the general opinion of the Trig and Becker com and transponder. I’m considering changing what I have and clean up the panel a bit.

Thanks
jim

I can tell you this: the Garmin GTR-200 is currently my radio of choice. I have installed three - J-3, Super Cub, and Stearman. Flawless! Internal intercom works in voice activated mode, even in Stearman at full throttle.

Only flaws - does not like 12 volts (needs at least 12.8) and the RF squelch range is limited. Garmin is working with me on those issues - they know how to do that stuff.

We yanked the Becker out of the Stearman after its third round trip to the repair facility. Minimum charge $600. Down time min. two weeks! Boo!

Thanks Bob, that’s about what I thought but I had to ask. That’s the price you pay for a smaller footprint I guess

I haven't installed a lot of Trig equipment but I hear mostly good stuff about them. On the other hand I've installed a metric 'ton' of the Beckers and have nothing but good stuff to say about them. The only thing to watch for is the size of the small screen. Some guys have a hard time reading the numbers.

I always recommend installing the small avionics in a Cub type panel. They mount just like a small instrument (no tray) and weigh less than than something like a KY 97A. Remember that Cub panels were never designed to hold tray mounted avionics. That's why you need to brace up the trays behind the instrument panel.

Other than this what is the general opinion of the Trig and Becker com and transponder. I’m considering changing what I have and clean up the panel a bit.

Thanks
jim

I have a Becker transponder installed for 9 years, with nary a problem. I do have a snubber diode installed on the start solenoid, though.

I have an older Becker mini-com with 4 presets and a loading position, which gives a total of 5 freqs. on speed-dial. I've had the plane for over 10 years now and don't know when it was actually new. It works great. Very clear on both TX and RX.

Thanks everyone for the help. I really appreciate the responses. Now I just have to get moving and figure out what I'm going to do!

jim

I have a Becker comm that has been trouble free. There are times though when I turn the frequency knob and the digits don’t change. After a few more turns it will work again.

The Becker transponder though will pop up an error code once in a while. My avionics shop looked and couldn’t get it to misbehave. Oddly it usually happens when it is cold outside.

I like the small footprint and low weight of these units.

Can't help you with the transponder error codes (maybe soak it in a freezer overnight?) but you can re adjust the knobs on the com and it should help that problem.

They are collet type knobs. Pop the cap off the end of the top knob and find the screwdriver slot underneath. Loosen it and pull the knob off. The second knob tightens the same way as the top knob but you'll need a spanner (correct tool) or very fine jaw needle nose pliers (for the rest of us). Make sure the second knob is tight and re install the top knob. Be sure the top knob does NOT contact the second knob. Tighten it and re install the cap. I've found that either knob slipping or pressure against each other can cause the internal switches to malfunction.

Web

I promised I would check back with the solution.

Apparently some loose connections caused the Trig com to go "factory reset". The tech tightened the wires, reset the radio, and I shall test-fly this afternoon. Hooray!

My buddy is going to buy a Becker from one of his European glider buddies. I cautioned him about my experiences with Becker (not good) but see that most of you think they are bulletproof.

I just told him it was $500 a pop to get the Becker repaired (x3 on the Stearman, which now has the GTR-200). But above I said $600. I will double-check that. Maybe I was adding shipping?

Any more "feel good" comments about Becker?

Dunno 'bout "feel-good", but I can offer that my Becker transponder failed shortly after I installed it, and Becker repaired it at no cost and with no fuss. It's been working flawlessly for 5 or 6 years since. Just one data point - - - -

I just ordered the Trig TY91 Com for a friend. Under $1200 with a 2 year warranty which is done by Mid Continent here in the US and if it does go in for warranty the 2 years starts over. I always had good luck with the Beckers but that trip to Germany for repairs took a while and wasn't cheap.

My Becker com got to where you had to twist the knob around and around and it would barely change numbers. I sent it to Becker in Florida (maybe an authorised repair station, I can’t remember). They cleaned it and I had it back in about 10 days. Just had some dust in it according to the repair sheet. I’m not sure they charged anything, if it was it was minimal. No problems since. That was maybe 5-7 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Becker com got to where you had to twist the knob around and around and it would barely change numbers. I sent it to Becker in Florida (maybe an authorised repair station, I can’t remember). They cleaned it and I had it back in about 10 days. Just had some dust in it according to the repair sheet. I’m not sure they charged anything, if it was it was minimal. No problems since. That was maybe 5-7 years ago.
Mine went to Florida also. I think it was a Becker facility, but not positive.

The place in Florida can do most repairs but if it is serious it gets shipped to Germany, or that has been my experience.

If you need to contact them, search for 'Becker USA'. They're in Miramar, Florida. I've had good luck with them but, knock on wood, I don't have the need to send them much.

Web

Back