• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Low speed airspeed indicator

What I fly behind in my own bird... have never been able to find another one!

Attachments

• ASI - 2 turn.jpg
    ASI - 2 turn.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 211
Remembering my flight instructor, way back some 40 plus years. First lesson in his '52 150 Super Cub I noticed the airspeed indicator was not functioning. Questioning the situation, his reply was " that's O.K., I don't want you looking at that thing anyway." LEGAL ???at that point I had NO clue about legal---illegal. Later on he did have it working but by then he had me really getting a "feel" of things. Will always be so thankful to have learned from Mr. Glenn Short of Neillsville, Wi. (God rest his soul)--[cancer and heart issues] who had a good "handle" on Cub flying. Without his pushing I would have missed some REAL Super Cub fun.

Everybody always asks me what speed I land at. I don't have a clue, however slow the airplane will keep flying before it falls out from under me. I cross check my indicated airspeed with my GPS at times to check wind. Has anyone that likes to fly slow and land short use their airspeed indicator. I have found very few airspeed indicators or pitot systems that work very well at slow speeds and am not sure how much I would use it if there was an accurate one.

Attachments

• EquipmentImage_46.jpg
    EquipmentImage_46.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 894
  • WI-6423.jpg
    WI-6423.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
If he's got a coupe inches of panel space, put in a secondary ASI - with a pitot on the opposite wing, pointing into the wind at a high AOA. Normal ops ASI and a Slow ops ASI. Lol....

Or, maybe skip the ASi, and just install an air valve between the two pitots. With a big red LABEL - Cruise/STOL. Might just work if the ASI is accurate at low speeds.

IMG_3148.jpg

Blanked out the manifold pressure used for break-in. ;-)

The seat is Carbon so that instrument is firmly attached!

Attachments

• IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 139
Even if the ASI is accurate at low speeds at altitude, I'd predict that its calibration could change in ground effect.

Besides, gotta be mostly looking out the window when low and slow!

Back