Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Champion/ACA Owners....Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart23Sept View Post
    Hi folks,

New to the site in search of Stewart Systems info, I own a '68 Champion 7ECA.

Anyone else here with Champion or ACA aircraft? There's an active group on Facebook but forums sites are so much better!

Thanks,
    Bart
    Owned 2 Champs a Scout then a SC and went back to a Scout. It fits my needs better and for me the advantages outweigh cons. Champ clan as I call it keep pretty quiet here to avoid brutal beatings at gatherings. Welcome to SC.org. Much knowledge and motivation here in a struggling industry.

20160417_104929_resized.jpg
    Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scout88305 View Post
    Owned 2 Champs a Scout then a SC and went back to a Scout. It fits my needs better and for me the advantages outweigh cons. Champ clan as I call it keep pretty quiet here to avoid brutal beatings at gatherings. Welcome to SC.org. Much knowledge and motivation here in a struggling industry.

20160417_104929_resized.jpg
    We still love you Eric ok you have a cool dad and lovable dog.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes 8GCBC, WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My local EAA chapter has equipment they lend out, including scales and a really cool bore scope. I don't see why one couldn't weigh a plane without adult supervision and not have it be part of the permanent record. You don't even have to level it if all you want to know is the weight.

My early Citabria has a useful load of 496 lbs. I'm going to be a weight freak when it needs to have the covering stripped off. Even 20 lbs is worth going after (over 3 gallons of gas giving me another 30 minutes of legal air time. I'll take it).

Off topic, I just found this sub forum and wanted to learn more about Supercubs anyway so I'm stoked to be here. I much prefer forum content over facebook feeds. The news feed nature of it means you get recent posts whether you're interested or not, and less ability to browse content that might interest you today.
    Thanks 8GCBC thanked for this post
    Likes Bart23Sept, gntw, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! My other plant is a 61 ECA I use the A portion quite a bit . When I grow up I may go for a scout. Until then Iím building a SC.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys, i went public today with a new website..... ChampCitabriaDecathlonForums.com

Thanks 8GCBC thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart23Sept View Post
    hey guys, i went public today with a new website..... ChampCitabriaDecathlonForums.com

http://champcitabriadecathlonforums.com

I don't know what it is with this site but the only way I can make a link active is to copy it then put it in a reply on the J3 site then copy the link from the preview and then post it on here?

Glenn

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks Ruffair thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good deal. I hope its an active successful site. Most Aeronca/Champion/Bellanca type forums are not very active.
    Thanks Bart23Sept thanked for this post
    Likes cubscout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys. there are so many of these airplanes out there it just seemed like a no-brainer to do this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aftCG View Post
    My local

My early Citabria has a useful load of 496 lbs. I'm going to be a weight freak when it needs to have the covering stripped off. Even 20 lbs is worth going after (over 3 gallons of gas giving me another 30 minutes of legal air time. I'll take it).
    Might be a 'Airport Legend', but story goes one guy building a small fabric plane took the time to use thin washers and to cut off the ends of every bolt to minimum length on rebuild. Put all the cut off ends in a can. At the end the can contents were over 5 lbs.

Don't know why you couldn't just have the correct length of bolt... and use thin nuts anywhere in shear, but the idea goes that if you add washers and longer than needed bolts, it adds up.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes Airhutch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great! I just signed up. But doesn't appear to be a way to start a thread in the Decathlon area.

Hope you have better luck than the Aeronca forum has had.
    Thanks 8GCBC, 62E thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    And then there those of us interested in Scouts, too.

Thanks. cubscout
    Thanks tripper thanked for this post
    Likes 8GCBC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    Great! I just signed up. But doesn't appear to be a way to start a thread in the Decathlon area.

Hope you have better luck than the Aeronca forum has had.
    Go to that area of the forum, and start typing in the "Thread Title" box. Presto! The edit dialog box for the text of your post appears right before your eyes... (This coming from the guy who couldn't figure out where to add a "signature line" - only to have it pointed out as being directly below the other dialog which I HAD successfully used... )
    Jim Parker
    '65 Champion 7ECA - Flying
    ?? Bearhawk Patrol - Building

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Bart23 Sept! I have visited your website!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice fire👍
    How to fly an airplane.....Stick forward houses get bigger....Stick back houses get smaller...
    Likes 62E liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump. The new ACA forum that Bart took the time and expense to create needs some participants. I am sure it will not be as big as Supercub dot org, but it does not deserve to die. Just drop in and add a comment. Or ask a question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob! I'll slug away at it a little longer and we'll see what happens. If people like the club forum or facebook better then that just is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scout and Champs are darn good planes. Just according
    To what your mission is. To a true Cub guy ALL other airplanes are of a lesser pedigree.......lol
    Last edited by TurboBeaver; 07-07-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboBeaver View Post
    Scout and Champs are darn good planes. Just according
    To what your mission is. To a true Cub guy ALL other airplanes are of a lesser pedigree.......lol

well, it use to be a Super Cub website.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Champs deserve a good website. Bart has done a very nice job, and now has maybe three regular posters.

I will always be a J-3 guy with a warm spot for Super Cubs, but I own a Super Decathlon, and consider it probably dollar for dollar the best buy in aviation. Cost about the same as a J-3 in similar condition. I lust for a more or less Supercub.org type forum for the ACA products. So much to learn . . .
    Likes cubscout, 8GCBC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For the past 9 years I've been flying a 90 horse 7FC/EC conversion. It's been a pretty good airplane, no beauty queen mind you but it does okay. Having been originally an FC with original Delco-Remy pull starter and generator and having had Millman spars put in just before I acquired it it's a tad on the portly side with an EW of 975 lbs but I still get 800 fpm out of it at sea level on a standard day. I've done quite a bit of roaming in it but I have to admit that getting it across the Sierras is a bit on the marginal side. Before the Champ my brother and I had an M7-235C which had no trouble going anywhere. To be honest though I've always wanted a Supercub and I mean since way back when I was 14 or 15 years old and the reason I ended up with the Champ was because it was selling for a price I couldn't, in my right mind, refuse. But I'm at the age now, maybe I have ten good years of flying left in front of me, so I'm looking for a Cub to fulfill that bucket list item. Again, it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a plain old PA18-150 that I can barnstorm around the country in and hit every dirt and grass strip I can find along the way.

So if anyone is looking for a nice 90 horse Champ I'm most likely going to be selling mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes KevinJ, cubdriver2, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I can #MeToo everything you just said except I never owned a Maule. And you should get what you want if you're able. Your wishes are my wishes but my reality is I look at my 7EC out there and for 1/2 to 1/3 of the $ it goes 'bout as fast and other stuff as a Cub Super. And since we're hiding down here in the Champion forum I can say I've considered a Rans S-7 too. And my airplane is 50# fatter than yours to boot. What I've decided to do for now is learn to fly my airplane so well that it almost is as capable as an SC until I can get one.
    But you know what, KCAB, I've been watching those Carbon Cub videos and dangit that's what I REALLY need!!
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Carbon Cub, but the difference between a J-3 and a CC is not worth a quarter mil to me.

Take this over to Bart's new forum. There are now four or five regular posters, and with a few more, it may make it. There are Cub guys there.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I am a proponent of that site, just replying to the gentleman with which I have much in common.
    And for what I have seen as Carbon Cub prices, I could have an airplane like mine for each day of the week!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I’ve been watching all the YouTube vloger’s too with their Carbon Cubs and I’ve been up to Yakima, met Jim and his whole gang and flew in the S2 and CC at one of their open house events. But really I just want a plain old Supercub with the normal amount of patina, maybe spend around 75 or so, I can always change it back into cash when the time comes to pack it in.

The Champ has been fun though, it’s not a boring plane. Easy to fly but kind of a challenge to fly gracefully on the edge. Adverse yaw is more like a feature rather than a flaw and if turning right sometimes means you have to move the stick to the left well, that’s what you do.
    Thanks DJG thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just finished a 10 year rebuild on a 85hp Aeronca Chief and just trying to resolve an engine problem (blasted thing will NOT start!) before I get to fly it the first time. I understand they are nice aircraft but I cannot see me moving away from my J-3 and hot rod J-5 anytime soon. I got the Chief as a project years ago to help fill the 40í container when I bought the J-3 and 5 in CA in 2004. I keep quiet on this forum mostly but I really enjoy the banter and the depth of knowledge you guys share, I learn something every day! I have joined Aeronca and Auster sites (yep got one of those too) but although I post a lot more there in an effort to get conversation going, threads generally die quickly - just not the numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    'There can be no liberty unless there is economic liberty".
    Margaret Thatcher

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandsman View Post
    .......and just trying to resolve an engine problem (blasted thing will NOT start!) before I get to fly it the first time.
    Ah Hah ! A challenge. Another long distance problem to solve.
    I assume that you are using good fresh gasoline.
    How is the compression?
    Do all of the valves go up and down?
    Does it suck fuel up from the carburetor?
    Is there a primer installed?
    Does the fuel make it's way into the cylinders?
    Do the magnetos make sparks jump off the little points on the ends of the spark plugs?
    What type of magnetos do you have? They all work the same, yet some have little nuisance quirks.
    Remove the top plugs, leaving them connected to the wires set them on top of the cylinders while pulling the prop through. Can you see good sparks?
    Do the sparks occur when the pistons are at top dead center? (Yeah guys, this is just for starting.)
    What color are the sparks? Yellow or blue or somewhere in between?
    Are the sparks strong or weak?
    N1PA
    Thanks Brandsman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My bet is that you are not sucking gas out of the idle ports. When you pull the prop do you hear a "sllssh" sucking sound?

We had one where a piece of safety wire interfered with float operation. Float bowl too low; no suckee.

Set up properly, these Continentals almost always fire up on the sixth pull. Be sure to pre- oil it if you wind up pulling it through twenty times without a start on a new engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Aeronca, etc

Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    My bet is that you are not sucking gas out of the idle ports. When you pull the prop do you hear a "sllssh" sucking sound?

We had one where a piece of safety wire interfered with float operation. Float bowl too low; no suckee.

Set up properly, these Continentals almost always fire up on the sixth pull. Be sure to pre- oil it if you wind up pulling it through twenty times without a start on a new engine.
    I have a C-90 in my J-3 and it does start first kick every time. Here I think the aircraft mechanic and engine man have got something wrong for sure and I will pass on your comments and those from Skywagon. I donít want to answer in full here as I think it would constitute a thread hi-jack, but I really appreciate the input from both of you.
    'There can be no liberty unless there is economic liberty".
    Margaret Thatcher
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea my C-90 rarely makes it past the second blade unless I forget to turn the mags on.
    Likes JimParker256, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
    Yea my C-90 rarely makes it past the second blade unless I forget to turn the mags on.
    Same for my O-200... I've only forgotten to turn the mags on once, but it was memorable! And I do have the lightweight replacement starter, which spins the prop a good bit faster than the old pull-starter.
    Jim Parker
    '65 Champion 7ECA - Flying
    ?? Bearhawk Patrol - Building

Post Thanks / Like
    Thread drift is allowed here. Most airplane forums are not heavily policed or monitored. Note that this thread encourages you to visit another forum, and management here is happy with that. Enlightened!

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. I've owned three small continentals, when they are fueling and firing, they start easy. Harder to start hot than cold. My $.02

Post Thanks / Like
    A local Carbon Cub owner decided his 26 inch Airstreaks were getting a little worn so he "tossed" them and bought a new set and I figured what the heck I'm not so proud I can't at least try on an old pair of shoes. All I can say is wow! I guess once you go fat you can never go back
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Ruffair, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My only experience is Cubs - 8", 26", and 31". I greatly prefer the 8".

Post Thanks / Like
    The bungee gear on the Cub is a lot better on rough ground at taxi speeds than the Champ's oleo because the taxi springs are really short and stiff. I tried the 26's out on a pretty rough strip that hasn't been taken care of for the past three years and they did a much better job than the 800's but if you are mostly landing on pavement the Airstreaks aren't going to last long. Fortunately I am able to land on the grass next to the runway at my home airport so I might keep them on for awhile but ultimately, for me, the 800's are more practical.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Champs oleo gear is way softer then a Cub type gear. If you fly both on skis you will have no doubt that the oleo works all the time. Bungees only work when you drop it in. Tire diameter and pressure helps it ride softer also. The only time an oleo sucks is in a strong crosswind.

Glenn
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    The Champs oleo gear is way softer then a Cub type gear. If you fly both on skis you will have no doubt that the oleo works all the time. Bungees only work when you drop it in. Tire diameter and pressure helps it ride softer also. The only time an oleo sucks is in a strong crosswind.

Glenn
    It does get weird when the wind lifts a wing and the tires are on the ground still. Have to use a lot of rudder, funny sitting in the back when a cub guy is flying
    Likes Ruffair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    About half the Super Cubs here have ILTs. (Incredibly large tires). They operate 100% on surfaces that require only a 6:00x6. They are aware of the performance penalties and can afford the cost. It is an appearance thing for them. That is a good reason for big tires - whatever floats your boat!
    Thanks DJG thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    It does get weird when the wind lifts a wing and the tires are on the ground still. Have to use a lot of rudder, funny sitting in the back when a cub guy is flying
    Stop messing up Farris's head

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    It took me awhile to get used to the Champs oleos and I’m talking about the heavy duty “no bounce” gear that hangs down about half a foot all pigeon-toed. It works well if you just drop it on and it can absorb an astounding amount of downward momentum but if you try to grease it on it’s very rare that both oleos compress at the same time so you get that weird leaning to one side but still tracking straight down the runway situation. True to it’s name though it’s almost impossible to “bounce” and lord knows I’ve tried.

But when you've slowed to a taxi there’s very little oleo travel left, no more than an inch and you are riding on the short taxi springs. That’s when I can feel it bottoming if I’m on rough ground. The Cub gear is kind of the opposite in that it’s basically at the top of its travel in that situation and has plenty to give if you run over a gofer hole. The Airstreaks give the Champ a much smoother taxi, I’ve never been on anything bigger than 8.50’s and I was pleased with how they handled. They also didn’t seem to slow me down, still hauled along at 85 mph.