• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Remote Oil Filter and Fuel Caps

One change usually effects 3 others. How come the lower lines will trap the mags? You can still go over the top with the filter adapter.

One change usually effects 3 others. How come the lower lines will trap the mags? You can still go over the top with the filter adapter.

When we pulled my left mag for 500 check, with the engine swung, there was just enough room to wiggle it up and out. There was no way to go down due to Lee’s exhaust. An oil line over top may trap it. The right side looks like this. If I can squeeze through there, the line will make access to leads difficult. 4E4E738E-586A-4C3F-AFA7-91DC23BBE963.jpg

Attachments

• 4E4E738E-586A-4C3F-AFA7-91DC23BBE963.jpg
    4E4E738E-586A-4C3F-AFA7-91DC23BBE963.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 209
I just installed the Sutton Exhaust on mine on Sunday. Like the extra room on the back of the engine and imagine the heat on the firewall will be less this summer.

I just installed the Sutton Exhaust on mine on Sunday. Like the extra room on the back of the engine and imagine the heat on the firewall will be less this summer.

I live in ND, heat is good, and I need to draw the line somewhere in my quest to simplify oil changes. Not changing my exhaust:)

I live in ND, heat is good, and I need to draw the line somewhere in my quest to simplify oil changes. Not changing my exhaust:)

It also eliminates that super fun AD of looking at the exhuast every 50-100 hours depending on the time on the muffler.

Well.., First..

I went with the B&C..., and a Challenger reusable filtter. During my first oil change, a friend showed me how to use a plastic grocery bag tucked around filter base to catch any oil trapped in the filter, and it worked great!

Then I continued the game of “wack-a-mole”

My cub sits on amphibs during the summer, and is/was very nose heavy.

Since I had to move oil lines anyway, and since I had the old heavy brass oil cooler hanging on the nose, and my engine baffling had seen it’s better days, I gave Randy Rubbert a call, and got the STC for the oil cooler move (that comes with new baffling,) and I changed to the light aluminum aft mounted oil cooler.

Then ... I decided to give the Sutton exhaust a try.

That made me have to remove a 2lb oil pan heater due to scat location, added to weight loss (a Zerostart that will be replaced with a Reiff.)

CHT shows no change, oil temp maybe a few degrees warmer? (No oat gauge), and no noticeable power difference so far ( also, got a new tach, so too many changes to be conclusive). I got the heat ribbon in the Sutton, and heat seems plenty adequate, but it has warmed up outside, so? Still couldn’t hold my hand near the heat outlet for long without melting my fingers.

All tolled I lost 14 lbs off the nose and moved the cg a 1/2 inch aft, and now I can shed 53 lbs of ballast while flying solo on floats.

I will not regret the filter adapter, and summer will ultimately tell about the rest.

Last edited:
Installed a Casper Labs Unit. Bolted it on and went about my business. No adapter, didn’t move a single hose. It did need an adapter fitting for the oil temp probe. Changed oil today and first punched a hole in the filter to let it drain into the case and removed it without making a mess. That was the only easy thing I have done to the plane thus far.

Back