• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Remote Oil Filter and Fuel Caps

cplne

Hey All

My newly acquired 12 with an O320 needs an oil filter installed. Recommendation greatly appreciated. B&C reasonable but looks as messy as the screen, Air Wolfe Remote Expensive but clean, how about Casper Labs they offer a no spill oil filter housing. As always your input is invaluable. I’m trying to keep my cost in check, so many little things I have to do.

Also, the guy I bought the plane from indicated I should install the Attlee Dodge fuel caps with the tall vents. Atlee shows them for a 180 HP 12. Any thoughts on his reasoning? I did notice on the flight home the left tank burned more than the right and being new to the plane I didn’t fool with the fuel selector.

Lastly Atlee Dodge or AK Airframes for the right hand long Fuel step. The plane is on 31s

THANKS!

I have the "original" Casper adapter. I went this route because it was the most affordable approved conversion at the time. The trick to minimizing the mess is to plan ahead for oil changes. With a hot engine, uncowl and stab the top outer edge of the filter so it'll drain into the sump. The next morning, tuck some rags under it and unscrew. It will only spill a little. I like the ram-air caps because they obviously keep a touch of positive pressure in the tanks, and if you park a full airplane on a bit of a side-slope it won't leak out the low side cap - assuming the gaskets are good. The left tank will usually out burn the right on longer trips due to fuel line routing, at least that's my theory. It's the shorter path. Mine does the same thing.

Let's see a picture !

It seems like every fuel system is a little different. You should not need the tall vent caps for a 0320(check the STC for the engine). Sounds like you have a right/left/both fuel selector. Just run on right or left tank, don't use both, it is a lot easier to keep track of you fuel that way.
DENNY

I'm going to install an oil filter in place of the screen on my PA-18. Tired of having to be a contortionist to check the filter at each oil change. The Caspar interest me the most. Perry, when you say uncowl the engine, are indicating taking off the upper cowl in order to access the filter? I need to take a closer look at mine, but as I remember space is quite limited. I do not have swing out engine mounts, however I have the thrust line mounts installed. Thanks, Eddy

Below is my Casper Labs installation from 10 years ago. Had to move the voltage regulator, so installed a solid state, also had to install flexible oil cooler lines to make it all fit but each has been a exceptional modification.

HERE IS THE TRICK: As PerryB said punch a small hole in the top for the spin on filter, but instead of waiting, use an air nozzle and 40 psi shop air you will blow that oil into the sump and not have a mess!

oilfilter5.jpg

Attachments

• oilfilter5.jpg
    oilfilter5.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 490
....you have a right/left/both fuel selector. Just run on right or left tank, don't use both, it is a lot easier to keep track of you fuel that way.

I've heard people say this before & I disagree.
Don't want to highjack this thread,
so maybe someone who believes in always running left or right but not both can start a new thread.

Hotrod180
Do a search we done beat that dead horse bad!! But, it is winter and just getting light out, I will get my stick.:lol:

Another thing to consider with an oil filter is space. On a cub add oil filter and rear mount oil cooler and it is a pain to get to mags or anything else. A remote filter would be nice from a overall maintenance standpoint.
DENNY

Consider how you'd preheat a remote oil filter if you'll fly it in winter. Casper Labs' adapter isn't perfect but its way less messy than a screen.

Stock -12 fuel systems have two valves, don't they? On-off for each tank?

I'm going to install an oil filter in place of the screen on my PA-18. Tired of having to be a contortionist to check the filter at each oil change. The Caspar interest me the most. Perry, when you say uncowl the engine, are indicating taking off the upper cowl in order to access the filter? I need to take a closer look at mine, but as I remember space is quite limited. I do not have swing out engine mounts, however I have the thrust line mounts installed. Thanks, Eddy
Yes, I mean pull the top sheet.

Yes, and if they don't leak don't touch them. They suck. I finally S-canned mine last annual and we put a Dakota valve in. Love it. Smooth as butter and nice little detents at each position.

As to the dead horse subject of burning both. I almost always run both, but I'm usually not pushing the envelope on fuel supply and I'm usually screwing around where unporting is probably occurring on one side or the other at any given time. On a long trip I like to burn one down to 1/2, run the other one out (or real close-it always bugs me to hear it sputter) and then I have a half tank left on the initial side. Makes it real easy to figure out if the remainder of the trip is still kosher or I need to consider an alternate. I've never actually had to do the alternate fuel thing. I always over-calculate my burn rate a little, on purpose.

If you have a header tank why would you worry about unporting a tank when running on a single tank?

Glenn

I wouldn't, but I don't have a header. I also don't see the need to be "managing" a fuel system when its not necessary.

Sorry Gordon, you know I failed tact class. You may have a better set of valves than I did. I had the original Imperials and they should have been called Impossibles. I rebuilt them in '13 when the plane was apart because they wouldn't seal unless the packing nut was so tight as to render them inoperable. Cleaned the barrels, new packing seals and a coating of Fuel Lube and they were great... for a while. Then they started leaking again. I snugged them up and stopped the leaks but of course they got stiff again. Then at the last annual, one of them wouldn't shut off. It would turn but the fuel would continue to trickle from the Gascolator. At that point I bit the bullet and had my buddies at Shafter put a Dakota in it. At rebuild in '13 I had them frame in an external fuel valve access panel. It paid off in spades !

If my information is correct, those Imperials were originally natural gas valves that Piper got approved back in the 30's or 40's.

Last edited:
Oh, I get it Perry! And your tact skills are just fine. This time.

I had leakage problems after rebuild, but was able to solve them with some extended vocabulary, gasket cement, long wrenches with plenty of leverage, and perseverance. Did I mention vocabulary?

If I had it to do over I'd probably use a modern valve, however the original Imperials are working fine and I like the simplicity and ease of use without looking.

If my information is correct, those Imperials were originally natural gas valves that Piper got approved back in the 30's or 40's.
Interesting. Gotta say, simple plug valves spring-loaded for proper fit-up of the ports, are pretty much foolproof IF the cap seal is good and the shaft O-ring is good.

Last edited:
Hey All

My newly acquired 12 with an O320 needs an oil filter installed. Recommendation greatly appreciated. B&C reasonable but looks as messy as the screen, Air Wolfe Remote Expensive but clean, how about Casper Labs they offer a no spill oil filter housing. As always your input is invaluable. I’m trying to keep my cost in check, so many little things I have to do.

Also, the guy I bought the plane from indicated I should install the Attlee Dodge fuel caps with the tall vents. Atlee shows them for a 180 HP 12. Any thoughts on his reasoning? I did notice on the flight home the left tank burned more than the right and being new to the plane I didn’t fool with the fuel selector.

Lastly Atlee Dodge or AK Airframes for the right hand long Fuel step. The plane is on 31s

THANKS!

Do you know how the fuel system has been modified? The 'goose necked' caps were needed to provide fuel pressure to the 180hp engine, the standard fuel line needed to be the next size up to provide adequate fflow. The goose-neck caps were a quick fix. Wonder why the owner would tell you they were needed, and he never installed them? Make sure both your existing caps have working vents...
I have installed a few Casper Labs filter adapters, they seem to work OK and fit in a tight spot.

Thats correct except the left tank is considered the main tank. If it’s not on you don’t get any gas out of the right tank. That was on a 46. I think the 47 was a little different. The last two 12’s I’ve owned have/ had the Cubcrafters STC with the more modern 4 way valve.

On the oil filter adapter my preference is the B&C unit. The Casper unit is very similar except it’s cast aluminum instead of machined. Just a personal preference. I dislike the remote filters on Cubs and Cessna’s.

the left tank is considered the main tank. If it’s not on you don’t get any gas out of the right tank. That was on a 46. I think the 47 was a little different.
Oh man, that sounds dangerous. Was that a factory setup?

My '47 -12 has the original two valves and is plumbed such that the tank feeds are teed together downstream of the valves. Each tank is completely independent.

I THINK the left being considered the "main" is because it had dual feeds. I've seen some early '18 with a fuel placard calling for the left tank if below a certain level.

Oh man, that sounds dangerous. Was that a factory setup?

My '47 -12 has the original two valves and is plumbed such that the tank feeds are teed together downstream of the valves. Each tank is completely independent.

Yeah I am remembering it now. My original 46 had the weird system if you didn’t have the left tank on you weren’t getting any gas. It didn’t help that all the placards were gone and it was my first tail dragger. At first I just left both tanks on. After I flew it a bit I figured out how the system worked.

I THINK the left being considered the "main" is because it had dual feeds. I've seen some early '18 with a fuel placard calling for the left tank if below a certain level.
I believe, at least in the headerless system, that left tank for takeoff and landing is due to the fact that the left tank has a front discharge port, and the right tank does not. At least that's the case for my plane, and that's how it was before rebuild also, which I think was stock Piper configuration. I think.

On the oil filter adapter my preference is the B&C unit. The Casper unit is very similar except it’s cast aluminum instead of machined. Just a personal preference. I dislike the remote filters on Cubs and Cessna’s.

I kept thinking that checking the screen would get easier and quicker with practice. It hasn’t. While everyone else is already out playing, I’m still trying to contort my fingers to get that 4-o’clock bolt, washer, and lock washer in place. Vacuume pump, mag, oil return line, temp line, Leading Edge Exhaust... lots of stuff taking up space back there. Is there a difference in space management between the Casper or B&C? My next oil change will involve changing a filter on one of these - instead of standing on my head playing Twister between my fire wall and engine. I want the one that will clear all the stuff the best. Which does it best? Looks like I will have to move oil line and electrical stuff? 97A34D1F-6C7B-42D7-ABB3-7F23B6F33A22.jpg

Attachments

• 97A34D1F-6C7B-42D7-ABB3-7F23B6F33A22.jpg
    97A34D1F-6C7B-42D7-ABB3-7F23B6F33A22.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
I couldn't remove the rock catcher screen without swinging the engine which was painful. On the Cub, with an O-320, I put a B&C oil filter adaptor.

It was fantastic and with a little patience dripped no oil in the change. Punch a hole in the top of the filter and come back next morning and remove it without spilling a drop of oil.

I put the Air Wolf remote oil filter on the C180, and while I have no complaints about it, I perfered the O-320 set up without the additional hoses.

A B&C oil filter adapter gets my vote.

I kept thinking that checking the screen would get easier and quicker with practice. It hasn’t. While everyone else is already out playing, I’m still trying to contort my fingers to get that 4-o’clock bolt, washer, and lock washer in place. Vacuume pump, mag, oil return line, temp line, Leading Edge Exhaust... lots of stuff taking up space back there. Is there a difference in space management between the Casper or B&C? My next oil change will involve changing a filter on one of these - instead of standing on my head playing Twister between my fire wall and engine. I want the one that will clear all the stuff the best. Which does it best? Looks like I will have to move oil line and electrical stuff? View attachment 35296
Casper and B&C are physically the same. Most installations use a 45 degree elbow on that top oil cooler fitting but the left line off the oil cooler usually goes to that fitting.

Going with the B&C.

That line that usually needs a 45, on mine, runs to the rights side of my front mounted cooler. I plan to, and looks like I will have room, turn that 90 straight down and run that line under the air intakes on left side.

Here is how mine is routed. Piper routed underneath on the late model Super Cubs.
20180220_071423.jpg20180220_071433.jpg20180220_071450.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 20180220_071423.jpg
    20180220_071423.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 20180220_071433.jpg
    20180220_071433.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 346
  • 20180220_071450.jpg
    20180220_071450.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 244
LOL, every time I decide to change something on my Cub I feel like I enter into a game of “whack a mole”.

I decided to change to a filter, which leads to changing my oil lines ( older cub, my lines are reversed and run over top) , so may as well change the out the heavy cooler..

If I reroute lines as in the new Cub, due to Lees exhaust, I will trap my mags, and it will make adjustments or mag removal difficult.

Ps.
Thanks for adding the pictures.

Back