• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Classifieds scam?

JohnnyR

SPONSOR
AK, ME - what time of year is it?
BOLO: I got this private message on SC from an individual who appears to be a new member with zero posts and no information/inaccessible personal page. This was in response to my “want to buy” ad for bushwheels.
I wonder if anyone else got the same PM on our internal messaging for classifieds items.
Looks odd to me. I apologize if it was legit, but perhaps my highlighting it will save grief for an unsuspecting buyer who received the same solicitation.

“Emailing about your AD . Please contact Bob on bttcvt@gmail.com regarding your request. He is located in Nashville, Tennessee 37202 and can arrange shipping. I Purchased items from him and they arrived in TOP condition.

Thanks”

Last edited:
Scam. Overage check scam is making a second comeback with a new generation of teams of US based scammers, mostly out of Texas and California. The latest push is coming from transplants from the middle east and east Africa for some reason. We regularly get mail at our company when we place used equipment ads. We say "sure, send us a check!". When the bogus check arrives we send it to the postal inspectors....

Do they ever prosecute these people ? Seems like any kind of paper trail could lead the authorities to the perps but nothing seems to happen with these thieves.

Do they ever prosecute these people ? Seems like any kind of paper trail could lead the authorities to the perps but nothing seems to happen with these thieves.

Yes, they do. I tell the people that send me the bogus check that I'm wiring the overage to "their" bank to be picked up by them. We then give the Postal Inspector a head's up, along with a scan of the overage check and ID of the person who will be attempting to pick up the money. When they walk in to a branch to pick up money that doesn't exist they get their picture taken for the Feds. Easy to turn the tables and takes about 5 minutes of e mails and a scan. The Feds then try and turn the worker bees for information on the masterminds. Mail fraud is a Federal crime, folks, and actually has some significant penalties. And most Federal Judges have absolutely no sense of humour or tolerance for fraudsters.

I was looking for the photocopy of the hundred thousand dollar check I got from Bank of America in payment for a boat, via England. The best part was when the customer told me he was going to send five or six guys to pick up the boat, as if they were going to carry it away.
My bank said it was a fraud, Bank of America said it was a Fraud and nobody wanted to bother doing anything about it. “Not worth their time”.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Didn't Tom3holer post a while back about bank fraud encountered while buying or selling some airplane stuff?
Seemed like neither the banks or the cops were interested in doing any follow-up.

Another opinion, on your credit cards get your credit limit down as far as you can, if you only use 2-3 grand a month, lower your card limit down to that, personal experience. its not cool having a bunch of credit available for someone else to use quick. this is going to get alot worse.

Last edited:
Another opinion, on your credit cards get your credit limit down as far as you can, if you only use 2-3 grand a month, lower your card limit down to that, personal experience. its not cool having a bunch of credit available for someone else to use quick. this is going to get alot worse.

Current recommendation from consumer protection authorities is to lock down your credit reports. A pain if you're undertaking new financing, credit cards, etc., but worth it in my opinion.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

I received one as well in response to my wanted ad. Got excited for a minute thinking someone had a prop for me! ��

I got the same message from this person over on the ShortWingPipers.org site in response to my wanted ad for some sealed struts.

Me too..
The guy just sent me a cashiers check for $5k, all I got to do is deposit it and Western Union him $2000 back, something about he's having bank issues or some such.
Got a screaming deal on a fuel pod, AND extra $500 for my troubles. can't wait, pod shipped this morning!
you guys are paranoid..

Ok, we are underway. The modus is a bit different for this one (we'll call it the Tennessee Jig) and fairly sophisticated--it appears to be a reverse / freight overage or outright theft (we send money, they disappear). I note they are staying away from the USPS,. The interesting angle is the wire is to be to a bank. So....so, RICO. Stay tuned.....

It's really, really nice to have Serious Feds as Friends. Be Friends with your Feds, Not Food......

Me too..
The guy just sent me a cashiers check for $5k, all I got to do is deposit it and Western Union him $2000 back, something about he's having bank issues or some such.
Got a screaming deal on a fuel pod, AND extra $500 for my troubles. can't wait, pod shipped this morning!
you guys are paranoid..

Oliver, can you scan me that check? I will PM you my private addy. JP

Folks, let me know directly when this happens so I can ban the folks that do it.

sj

Same guy did the same thing on ShortWingPipers.org and when I Googled his email I found out he did it on a boating website as well.

Same guy did the same thing on ShortWingPipers.org and when I Googled his email I found out he did it on a boating website as well.

He doesn't seem to like me. Keeps calling me all sorts of names. Not very civil. His minders are probably not happy with his failures.

The nicest 'counter scam' I read about was the guy who sent a phone book instead of a laptop to the UK. Along with a proper invoice for the GPB1200 the guy paid with a fake check. Now VAT is about 18% for incoming shipments, not an inconsequential amount when you receive a phone book, and its hard to complain when you were running a scam.

Back