Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Marking wires

  1. #1
    Charlie Longley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Marking wires

    Does anyone have a good technic for marking wires? Iíve been doing more and more electrical work lately. All Iíve come up with so far is writing on heat shrink which is tedious.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,591
    Post Thanks / Like

  3. #3
    Charlie Longley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried the Dymo Rhino with 1/4” tubing?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,591
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used this one on my re-wire. Works great!
    http://www.ksun.com/label-printer/bee3-ez/
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    I make a spreadsheet in Excel with all of my wire numbers in a REALLY small font, bolded, and print it out. I cut the wire number I want, slide it into clear heat shrink (1/8" clear think), slide that on the wire and heat away. I use this on wires down to 22ga. I haven't tried smaller wire as I haven't had a need for it.

    Turns out perfect every time is quick and is waaaaaaay cheaper than one of those fancy heat-shrink-label-printers with the expensive printable heat shrink labels.

    Mark

  6. #6
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    9,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Longley View Post
    Has anyone tried the Dymo Rhino with 1/4Ē tubing?

    That's what I have. Works good


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  7. #7
    Charlie Longley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    That's what I have. Works good


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Just ordered one!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just did a bunch of wires down to 18 gauge tefzel using ~$15 P-Touch labelmaker, with flexible tape and small font, covered with clear shrink tube. In the past I've used the Electrician's number tabs in little tear-off book, but with the P-Touch, you can include a text descriptor, not just a number.

    One other hint which is helpful, is to label not only both ends, but every couple feet in the middle. Helps future troubleshooting. The factory, and some large avionics shops have a machine which will apply number every foot or whatever it is that Mil-spec calls for.

    Thanks. cubscout
    Likes Charlie Longley, Brmoore liked this post

  9. #9
    Charlie Longley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubscout View Post
    Just did a bunch of wires down to 18 gauge tefzel using ~$15 P-Touch labelmaker, with flexible tape and small font, covered with clear shrink tube. In the past I've used the Electrician's number tabs in little tear-off book, but with the P-Touch, you can include a text descriptor, not just a number.

    One other hint which is helpful, is to label not only both ends, but every couple feet in the middle. Helps future troubleshooting. The factory, and some large avionics shops have a machine which will apply number every foot or whatever it is that Mil-spec calls for.

    Thanks. cubscout
    AC 43.13 says wire should be marked every 15" max. Key word is "should".
    Thanks cubscout thanked for this post

  10. #10
    wireweinie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    1,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Longley View Post
    Does anyone have a good technic for marking wires? I’ve been doing more and more electrical work lately. All I’ve come up with so far is writing on heat shrink which is tedious.
    Yep.

    Send me a list and I'll send you the marked wire. lol

    Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Thanks Charlie Longley thanked for this post

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois & Wisconsin
    Posts
    546
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use an ultra fine sharpie.

  12. #12
    wireweinie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    1,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! You can write smaller than I can, lol.

    Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois & Wisconsin
    Posts
    546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, it is remarkably easy to do with an ultra fine sharpie. Try it; it works.

  14. #14
    wireweinie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    1,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the wiring I work with is 22, 20, 18ga, etc. So I went and bought the machine to mark them directly. It stamps the numbers onto single and single shielded wires. I only use sleeves on 2+ multi conductor. But I go through more wire in a month than most will in a lifetime.

    Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

  15. #15
    Charlie Longley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    435
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just tried out the Dymo Rhino 4200. For $100 with a couple of spools of cable marker I am reasonably happy. The smaller wire is 18. To get the text vertical you need to go to the General mode.

    4D117BF2-060E-4C5D-898F-4E3833B9D673.jpeg
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  16. #16
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    9,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Longley View Post
    I just tried out the Dymo Rhino 4200. For $100 with a couple of spools of cable marker I am reasonably happy. The smaller wire is 18. To get the text vertical you need to go to the General mode.

    4D117BF2-060E-4C5D-898F-4E3833B9D673.jpeg
    guess I never read my instructions, or noticed the Vertical mode on mine.... thanks, just tried it..

Similar Threads

  1. fuel stick marking
    By N5126H in forum Everything Else (formerly:My Other Plane Is A....)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 02:52 PM
  2. Marking a PA-18 ASI
    By murph in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:27 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •