• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin Pilot/Foreflight Setup in Alaska

Thanks for setting me straight about split screen in Garmin Pilot. I could use a split screen moving map/ guages but couldn't get synthetic vision/moving map. I talked to their help people and at the same time asked about user way points in synthetic vision. Could be that i confused them with too many questions or confused myself with too many answers. Either way I might look at Garmin pilot again thanks.

Garmin Pilot doesn't do split screen on my Android phone, but it does fine on my Android tablet. Don't even have to go to the menu at the upper right, as Stewart showed; there's a little arrow at the bottom of the map screen that enables split screen.

I haven't tried using the multiple apps to share the screen, as Stewart showed, though that might be a good way to have Google Maps (road maps) share the screen with Garmin Pilot. Gotta check that out. Thanks, Stewart.

I've been using Garmin Pilot with a IPad mini and a Garmin GLO for gps for a few years now. The app is great and Garmin has been doing a really good job lately with useful updates that really make things better. I do not have the newest Inreach but I want it for the integration between them both. I have had issues with the GLO tho. The battery all but died after about a year and a half so now it just has to be plugged in. Isn't a huge deal for now but I want to give the GDL a go and see if it's worth upgrading to. The ADS will be nice but adds more features to the screen you prolly shouldn't be focused on anyways.
fc0744e8dd8a7283f4f03f25cec27307.jpg

I have been using Garmin pilot since I started flying. I have also tried Foreflight and I am currently flying with 2 others that use Foreflight. Both programs have pretty much exactly the same features, just in a slightly different layout. I prefer the Garmin interface as it is almost identical to my 660 and all the other garmin products that I have used over the years, but you cant go wrong with either one. I am not sure if they still offer it, but both would let you try it free for a month a while back.

27798168_10211712231064169_1519827213495657133_o.jpg

Garmin Pilot version 6.3.0 has downloaded onto my tablet, and the accompanying notes include "New: Added radar coverage mask".

I don't know what this means, I haven't found those words in the menu tree, and haven't found anything online. Anybody know about this?

In iOS you click on the maps icon and you can choose your preferred weather radar and IR weather displays and colors.

Thanks for the info everyone. Yesterday was my first flight with the samsung tab A and garmin pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

In iOS you click on the maps icon and you can choose your preferred weather radar and IR weather displays and colors.

Thanks Stewart. Yes, that is the second bullet point in the release notes, and I found that and played with it.

But then the third bullet point is "New: Added radar coverage mask". Because they're separate bullet points, I have to assume they are separate features. But I still haven't found that third one.

Any additional ideas anyone?

Can the alaska chart supplement (salmon colored book) be downloaded and viewed on androids pilot?

Can the alaska chart supplement (salmon colored book) be downloaded and viewed on androids pilot?

You can. It is not super easy to do but I will make some pictures to guide.

This is how I have found to do it. Select an airport.
3470c9faea56848e87506bf5359c4d0f.jpg

d9c9e09f13a3c259be546855d5108a54.jpg

Select A/FD
ccca9931277b59e3c3abb987b6e244c5.jpg

And then pick supplement.
6a214997e38cb8a3dd099145def21f5e.jpg

I've been experimenting with mounting an Ipad in my plane. Removed the ADF and Loran and put a blank panel on the space, then mounted the Ipad to the panel. See photos.

Back