• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Replacing Seat Upholstery

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
My cubcrafter seats are at least 12 years old and are showing significant wear. I am planning to replace them and know that some of you are really happy with your seats, and some are not. Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Randy

Oregon Aero and get the leather...no complaints. If you call and give them an idea of what colors you’re interested they will send samples, Also be sure to tell them NOT to put the stock shoulder harness port in the top and if you have the folding seat mod they used my seats as the pattern for that mod.

Last edited:
My cubcrafter seats are at least 12 years old and are showing significant wear. I am planning to replace them and know that some of you are really happy with your seats, and some are not. Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Randy

Tough deal Dr. Randy.

Best solution actually is for you to bring that cub up here and drop it off and take my Maule home as it's seats are still good. Also your best elf could sit next to you in flight!:p;-)8)

I flew Oregon Aero in my cub, did 12 hour days, and one flight was 4.5 hours. Posterior hurt after hours and hours, but was way better than other seats I have been in. I had over 1,000 hours in those seats, and they came with the plane; they still looked very good even though they were in a utility/hunting environment all the time.

Dealing with Oregon Aero, and I have multiple times, has been easy and a great experience. I have no reservations about doing further business with them. They make a great product.

Not much experience with Fine Line- others like them.

Oregon Aero, Randy. They are the masters of airplane seat comfort. I put an OA seat cushion set in my PA-11, which has a Super Cub seat, and asked them to keep them as thin as practical, without sacrificing comfort. The seats are just perfect.

They offer leather, fabric, or a combination. I opted for the combination, which I really like.

MTV

I have used Oregon Aero in the last 4 Super Cubs I have built and have them in mine. Very comfortable even after very long flights. Piper had shoulder harnesses come out of the seat back and Kirby had that hole eliminated and zipper put in the rear pocket instead of the velcro. Much better set up and they also used his seat that was modified with Atlee Dodge folding seat STC as a pattern and made the seat fold easier. I also have them leave the apron off the front of the rear seat bottom so you don't have to unsnap it to get into the under seat storage.

Oregon Aero treated me well, and I like the seats. Not to say they're the only good solution, but they are a good one.

I have Fine Line and cast my vote for Oregon Aero. The tempur/memory foam makes all the difference. Mine are OK comfort wise, but the OA's are better.

I have a fine line seat, I took the foam out and put in temper foam myself. Save yourself the hassle and get Oregon Aero to start with.
DENNY

what was the hassle with the FAA and seats a few years ago?? didn't oregon aero get caught up in that...??? was a thread on here about it... let me go search

My Airtex seats are comfortable and I do 5-6 hr days all the time. Temperfoam in my J4 is great in the summer but hard as a concrete park bench on days liked today

Glenn

My Airtex seats are comfortable and I do 5-6 hr days all the time. Temperfoam in my J4 is great in the summer but hard as a concrete park bench on days liked today

Glenn

Dumb question but does a person need to send their seat frame(s) to Oregon Aero or will they send you the finished cushions to install yourself given they have your exact seat info?

Last time I talked to Oregon about a set they needed the seat frames, something about their repair station license requirement.
Only for intergal assemblies like a Cessna, for a Super Cub it’s snap off, snap on, log book and weight and balance you’re ready to go.

kirby

ps I’m about to send the my 180 seat assemblies...

When I talked with them it was clear on both ends that it was a supercub with only seat snaps but they still had to have the frames, no way around it at that time so I just ordered fine lines. Maybe they got the Feds to relax on that in the last couple years since I've tried to order but I've been happy with fine line so I have not tried again and they are about 1/2 the price
As I understand it the FAA was trying to claim that for Super Cub the cushion and frame were a “seat assembly”... but the factory snaps rule, just wish 180’s had snaps!

My first seats were pre FAA problem and were rebuilt/modified (2.5 years ago) post ridiculous scrutiny.

Last edited:
I sent in my old cushions, but no frame. Initially, they said they wanted the frame, but I pointed out that the cushions snapped on. They said fine as long as they had the cushions. Which they returned with the new cushions.

MTV

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess this all means that after I send my cushions off to Oregon Aero and then get caught trying to “borrow” Joe Ws front seat I’ll end up sitting on an old hair caked Navajo saddle blanket until they come back.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess this all means that after I send my cushions off to Oregon Aero and then get caught trying to “borrow” Joe Ws front seat I’ll end up sitting on an old hair caked Navajo saddle blanket until they come back.

Pretty much but you are use to it. I have cushions you can borrow while you wait.

I have my seat cover in at Oregon aero as we speak, err type. No seat frame necessary. I covered my seat frame with stits prior to ordering the new cover. David E at o.a. really liked that I took the time to find the perfect hei20171206_124026.jpgght I wanted in my finished seat, as it turned out for my 6'3" frame it was a spruce and a univair catalog stacked. He said he'd ad about 1/4" for shrinkage and it will be perfect.

Attachments

• 20171206_124026.jpg
    20171206_124026.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 198
Good point, OA also offers different thickness cushions. First time I had both the thick bottom and top in fabric, this time I got the thick bottom and thin back (for both the front and back) with a little extra lumbar support and leather which raises me up where I like to be and gives me a goood inch more leg room which I like.

Good point, OA also offers different thickness cushions. First time I had both the thick bottom and top in fabric, this time I got the thick bottom and thin back (for both the front and back) with a little extra lumbar support and leather which raises me up where I like to be and gives me a goood inch more leg room which I like.

I call bs on that. You got the thin back because your belly grew. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any competent upholsterer can adjust the foam thickness and composition to suit. Doug@Fine Line had me try my foam bases on for fit in the Wildcat before upholstering them. He always builds up the rear seat a little for my wife's comfort. Doug has done my last 8 airplane seats. Happy happy.

Oregon Aero treated me well, and I like the seats. Not to say they're the only good solution, but they are a good one.

What kind of cost are we talking about with Oergon Aero?
The seats in my 180 are getting a bit tattered,
it'd be nice to have them done up with posture-pedic foam,
maybe even some nice leather upholstery......
but not if it comes at the same price as a Ponk engine!
Looked at their website, no pricing info there,
but of course with such a wide variety of options re materials & fanciness
I guess it's pretty hard to list "standard" prices.

https://www.oregonaero.com/seating-systems/repair-station-services

180 seats need to go to the shop for upholstering. No slip-on cushions like a Cub. At that point you may elect to refinish the bases and R&R the bushings, pins, and rollers, too. That adds up.

11372c5dcfcc4de2932b69cd2593e11a.jpg

Back