• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

STOL Aircraft Magazine Will Stop Publication - Many Thanks to Dennis and Sheila!

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Dennis & Sheila Smith sent out word this morning that they will no longer be publishing STOL aircraft magazine. They have been HUGE supporters of SuperCub.Org and I hope you will join me showing your appreciation to them, and best wishes for whatever they pursue next. I'm sure Dennis will still be seen a lots of fly ins... :)

sj

Thats a bummer. Thanks Shooter for the issues and work over the past few years, Im going to miss the magazine.

Dennis worked hard at it but he was swimming against the tide. Reality is there are not enough folks out there addicted to gravel bars and mountain tops.

Glenn

It was a good run for Dennis and Sheila. What a huge amount of energy to keep pouring into a magazine. I can almost hear their sigh of relief, and a sigh of sadness too.

Thanks Shooter! Now go have some other type of fun!

Dennis and Sheila, you undertook an enormous task, appealing to a very "niche" audience. Your audience appreciates and applauds your contribution to the kind of airplanes, and the kind of aviators, who couldn't wait for the next issue to be published. The amount of time and money and energy that it takes to put out a magazine must be staggering. We appreciate each and every issue you published, and there will be a void each quarter when we go to our mailboxes.

I am grateful for the opportunity to write a column for STOL Magazine. Who knows, perhaps you will inspire your writers to publish in other more mainstream magazines! The point is, you have inspired many with your efforts, and that inspiration will not stop with the last issue that is published.

Thank you.

Randy

I think the computer has probably put a damper on many magazine sales in this day and age. Last night I sorted thru my 4 foot high pile of magazines that I received this year, but never got around to reading and thought I need to start at least browsing thru them once in a while.

Thanks for the effort !!

A very class act all around. They did a great job of making the magazine happen in the new digital world. Now is the time for fun and relaxation.
DENNY

Dennis & Sheila

What a mountain of work that magazine must have been, and to be a practicing physician on top of that! Thanks for everything you did/do for our community. Enjoy the R&R!

I enjoyed your magazine - sorry your shutting it down - But I understand. - best of luck.

Oh well, wrong time to buy a subscription to this magazine, looks like we won't be able to enjoy it. Wish they said they were going out of business when my wife paid for this.

Oh well, wrong time to buy a subscription to this magazine, looks like we won't be able to enjoy it. Wish they said they were going out of business when my wife paid for this.

Charlie, I am sure Dennis and Shelia will make it right one way or another!

sj

Charlie, not calling you out because I agree that it’s always nice to get back unused funds. Just observing that the STOL pub was a hard wrought labor of love put out by more or less two people, plus contributing authors. I’m sure it was an incredible time suck, particularly b/c its editor-in-chief is a physician.

Regardless of whether my 2019 subscription comes back to me, I’m grateful our community had the run that it did with STOL. We are incredibly lucky, aren’t we, that there are so many giving folks in this group? I’m routinely amazed at the information I can source herein.
J

Last edited:
I've been stopping in the town of Waseca, MN while enroute to/from OSH some years. If the name Waseca rings a bell with you....you may be remembering "Herter's Worlds Finest" outdoor catalogs. As a kid, I used to drool over every issue of those catalogs....all the magnificent outdoor and hunting gear, and all "World's Finest".

Well, it turns out Herters has been out of business for many years. But during a cab ride into town to a hotel a few years ago, we drove past a HUGE building, and I asked the driver what that was. His response was to the effect that If you get a printed magazine from any organization or entity on earth, it may very well have been printed in that building. Oh, and he pointed out that the company that owns that business has been cutting way back on employees over the last several years. Print subscriptions have been drying up in favor of digital subscriptions, and Waseca is feeling the pain.

A few years ago, I opted to go digital on a couple major magazine subscriptions. After a two year "trial period" I realized I hadn't read a SINGLE article in either of those magazines, though I'd sort of scrolled through them before zapping them from my mail.

I went back to print versions for both. Now, I actually read three or four, maybe more articles from each....then I drop them off (still pretty current) at a local flight school. Their students pick them up and take them home. I don't know if that's good, bad or indifferent, but.....

Early in this thread it was mentioned that there are very few people who are interested in this type flying, but frankly, there are FAR more people interested in and participating in, this type flying now than I've ever seen in 52 years of flying. So, why minimal interest in the magazine?

My theory is young folks these days are almost totally focused on social media, NOT print media, or even digital versions of print media. Print media is totally dependent on advertising, and advertisers are pretty savvy as to where their advertising $$s make a difference.

The same goes for Associations. Young folks aren't "joiners" like many of us old coots. So, many organizations that have done a lot of good for their community over the decades are suffering from a lack of younger members.

Times they are a changing, and I'm not sure it's for the better. But, trying to operate a print magazine on ANY subject right now is a tough row to hoe......

Good for these folks for giving it a shot, and sorry it didn't work out.

MTV

They let some strange characters in that publication

Screenshot_20230125-214000~4.png

Glenn and

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230125-214000.png
    Screenshot_20230125-214000.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20230125-214000~4.png
    Screenshot_20230125-214000~4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
Back