• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aircraft fuel thief caught in Palmer Alaska

The police doesn’t even respond to fuel theft in cars and trucks in Anchorage. With anti-siphon fillers the thieves have taken to drilling holes in the fuel tanks. They drain $100 worth of gas and leave $1000 worth of damage. Don’t make it hard to open those caps on your airplane or they might start drilling wings.

The police doesn’t even respond to fuel theft in cars and trucks in Anchorage. With anti-siphon fillers the thieves have taken to drilling holes in the fuel tanks. They drain $100 worth of gas and leave $1000 worth of damage. Don’t make it hard to open those caps on your airplane or they might start drilling wings.

I guess that's the big city, for you.

This year our little county prosecuted at least 4 gas theft cases. You're right--every one of them involved somebody crawling under a big 4X4 and doing something to the tank or fuel line to get gas. One of them was in broad daylight next to a day-care school. It brought fire departments and hazmat teams for the 20+ gallons spilled onto the parking lot on a 100 degree afternoon.

It is nuts, for sure.

Hope they never discover the tank's quick drain. We had a rash of fuel thefts years ago in Fairbanks at the float pond. Cut hoses with locked nozzles and other bolt cutter mischief. I was told it was the youngster of a pilot but not sure. Then the State Fire Marshal got involved and tank regs and better security was suggested.

The airport did spend a few million in Fed $ installing lift arms and signage at entrances to reduce incursions but no security monitoring system in the General Aviation portion to note tab or vehicle ID. It's still wide open to anyone that wants to drive in and have a look at my plane. No airport ID's required.

Gary

There are also federal charges for messing with aircraft. Prosecute to the fullest...

No US Attorney is going to waste their time prosecuting a fuel thief. We have a hard enough time getting them to prosecute assaults on flight crew members.

Hope they never discover the tank's quick drain. We had a rash of fuel thefts years ago in Fairbanks at the float pond. Cut hoses with locked nozzles and other bolt cutter mischief. I was told it was the youngster of a pilot but not sure. Then the State Fire Marshal got involved and tank regs and better security was suggested.

The airport did spend a few million in Fed $ installing lift arms and signage at entrances to reduce incursions but no security monitoring system in the General Aviation portion to note tab or vehicle ID. It's still wide open to anyone that wants to drive in and have a look at my plane. No airport ID's required.

Gary

Be glad of it. We need special ID and a card to get in here at my end of BF Alaska. And our DOT Airport Manager/Sheriff takes his job a little to seriously.

The AK Air Koolaid is expensive, even for only 2.5 months of service.

The police doesn’t even respond to fuel theft in cars and trucks in Anchorage.

They drain $100 worth of gas and leave $1000 worth of damage.

One of them was in broad daylight next to a day-care school.

The airport did spend a few million in Fed $ installing lift arms and signageNo US Attorney is going to waste their time prosecuting a fuel thief. We have a hard enough time getting them to prosecute assaults on flight crew members.

We use to have a saying 'Only in America'. I haven't heard it for years. That's because the rest of the world has surpased it in stupidity.

No US Attorney is going to waste their time prosecuting a fuel thief. We have a hard enough time getting them to prosecute assaults on flight crew members.
Call your local TV station and rile them up as to the life threatening potential of stealing fuel out of aircraft, they know how to dog the US Attorney’s office to pay attention.

A couple of years ago Alaskan lawmakers decided the courts and jails were too crowded so they changed the laws to allow little crimes like stealing gas and stealing cars to get a pass. Police officers don’t waste time on what courts won’t prosecute. In the past year I’ve had fuel stolen, parts removed from trucks, and a truck stolen. The police haven’t done anything. Security cam video doesn’t interest them. Their advice has been to call the insurance company. I don’t waste the time to call the police anymore. I’m surprised this guy got arrested and charged. Let’s see what the court does. FYI, here’s a link to federal law.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/32

Last edited:

We had a court case here a couple years ago that made it on NBC Dateline one night. Neighbor feud, Sheriff told neighbor #1 that they needed evidence that neighbor #2 was trespassing so neighbor #1 set up a couple trail cams and also videoed neighbor #2 trespassing. #1 gave the evidence to the Sheriff and when it went to court the attorney for #2 sued #1 for stalking and won. " only in America "

Glenn

The best example of how well our Airport Security is working, guy leaves float plane tie-down on East Ramp - Fairbanks. Drives over to West Ramp to pick up friends arriving. Gets speeding ticket from Airport Security for going faster than 15mph in the Terminal area. When he gets back over to his tie-down, his fuel tank is missing! He could tell Security exactly when it was stolen, it was written on his ticket.

Back