Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: North East winter Fun 17/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1piece@atime View Post
    Thanks Gary for the advice. I’ll do som testing at a safe altitude when I get them on. It surprises me how high of a aoa and slow I can get it to fly with full power. I haven’t tried it yet with less than a 1/4 tank but when the sky’s open up again I’ll give it a run. We’ve been having what I call company weather, while I’m stuck at work it’s been blue sky’s and calm winds and as soon as the weekend comes it’s snowing, raining or 20+mph winds.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    Not really the Thread's main topic so will keep it short. Taylorcraft flys on main 12g nose tank like J-3. No header but the tank is tapered at bottom to contain most of the fuel forward/firewall. Can be flown with wing tanks draining if their fuel caps have a pressure port forward. By design the round Rochester fuel gauge on main reads Empty when there's "about" three gallons left in normal attitudes tested. The 9 gallons out of 12 max are placarded as useable. On big tires or under high AOA and some acceleration fuel can move aft more than expected. What's left is fuel line, filter, carb to supply gas.

So yes Adam please test and fly with >Empty indicated if at unusual attitudes. The last 3 should be useable in level or descending flight but maybe not at 3-point with big tires.

Edit: The F-19 Taylorcraft was certified under CAR 3 plus subsequent amendments per TCDS 1A9. See ß3.429 and on for fuel system determinations, and ß3.672 for unusable fuel marking requirements: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgccab.nsf/0/73377eeb0c2129fb86256dfe005fdf58/$FILE/part2.pdf

I wonder if Airframes Alaska confirmed the minimum fuel level and flow requirements with their tires installed. A stoppage has been previously reported at minimum fuel while departing on floats.

Gary (got too long, sorry)
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 02-10-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had freezing rain all day today so I decided to make up some wing covers. I stopped by Joann fabrics and nylon ripstop was 50% off so I bought 25 yards (3 different colors) and began pinning, taping and cutting. I was able to get one sewed up with the help of our dogs and now I just need some bungee cord to finish up. I think by the time Iím done they should weigh less than 5 pounds combined. I was gonna make a engine cover but decided Iíd be better off buying one already made, it was gonna be a PITA getting it to fit right. Any of you guys have preference on engine covers? I was thinking Bruceís for the price. IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_2452.JPG
    Likes kestrel, cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I see your dog, like mine, is very helpful. This was the extent of the flying in Penobscot Valley today... 2018-02-11 16.58.42.jpg
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bloomerrussellbeaupain.com
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Poor Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a day well spent. Weíve got a 140lb bloodhound too But he just lays around and sleeps all day. Hopefully we get some sunshine and cooler weather this week.

Likes JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I guess the one hour of scraping ice off your wings yesterday was your inspiration?? Nice work, good for you!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't buy an engine cover, make one from an old sleeping bag. Make a pattern out of polyethylene cut and tapped together, easy, I can't find a pic of the one I made on my plane. If you don't have an old bag go to a thrift shop.
    Likes JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I Learned some ski flying lessons yesterday. When itís 30* out and snowing the plane freezes up with water drops and flat light could wreck a plane if not careful. I touched down on the lake when I thought I had another 20í underneath me. I had a buddy check for pressure cracks before I arrived otherwise I wouldnít have landed out there.

Likes mam90, JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    I see your dog, like mine, is very helpful. This was the extent of the flying in Penobscot Valley today... 2018-02-11 16.58.42.jpg
    You guys in dreary town are bringing us down with your hang dog mood! The hon Lou and wife Kathy have joined us for the weekend, spent looking at Ferraris, Lamborghini, and Porsche at a huge car show in Naples where plastic surgery is doing well

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

"Lou can you open the door it's hot in here. Did you see that girl waving at us with no top on ?"

Looking forward to Toms folks stopping by for dinner this week, looks like record highs all week

Get your head up son

Jim and Lou
    Last edited by Scouter; 02-12-2018 at 04:34 AM.
    Likes yellowbird69, cubdriver2, JP, FdxLou, 39-J3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    1piece@atime, the engine cover I made from an old sleeping bag

2018-02-11 20.41.21.jpg
    Likes JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    “This was the extent of the flying in Penobscot Valley today...”
    208011BC-E06E-4C37-BAB8-08DDED0BA1F5.jpg
    Not so. I laid all kinds of tracks Sunday just stayed below 900’ and didn’t go too far from home. Had to pack it in about 1 for the rain coming in. Got 3 or 4 inches of powder last night, couple feet total. Really impressed with the trick air skis today in the deep stuff. Bet I landed 20 different fields
    FDD0414B-0089-4444-BB38-FB1FBABBC328.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by a.crane; 02-11-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Farmboy, cubdriver2, JP, 39-J3 and 2 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good work Andy, but he still won't get his skinny rear end off the couch with the dog hugging him. Take my Summit skis up to the big hangar and bolt them on that pa11 and post up some pix that should get him moving

jim
    Likes JP, cubdriver2, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1piece@atime View Post
    I was gonna make a engine cover but decided I’d be better off buying one already made, it was gonna be a PITA getting it to fit right. Any of you guys have preference on engine covers? I was thinking Bruce’s for the price.
    I don't know Bruce, but I purchased one from Macs Airplane Covers, and for the $220 I'd do it again without hesitation. It's a "cowl blanket", fits awesome with more straps than you would need and holds the heat.

pb

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I have been making one out of a HD Space blanket that will fit in a large kitchen Ziploc bag. I hate how much room the insulated bags takes up in the baggage. Should have pictures today or tomorrow of spacesaver engine cover.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes ER Upgrade liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Iíll give it another go on making one . I like how Tim cut out a piece for the nose bowl then sewn it on. I was trying to fold it over and pin in place. I had a couple of military wool blankets I was gonna use but hated to ruin them if it didnít turn out. I wish I was out flying today but Iím stuck at work again, damn weather...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like

North East winter Fun 17/18

Anyone have skis for a Soko.... Just kidding, Iíd be broke by time it got warmed up. Neat plane though, and good company for the t-craft. Also there isnít many hangers with a indoor pool.

IMG_1321.JPG
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, here the prototype, it's a little loose but going tosee how it works and holds up.

Folds down to the size of a book

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 02-13-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Ok, here the prototype, it's a little loose but going tosee how it works and holds up.

Folds down to the size of a book

Glenn
    And of course there is an 18 hp Ski Doo in the background. Did I notice you have the hangar decorated for Christmas with lights?

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Ken Cornell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A very stick puppy View Post
    And of course there is an 18 hp Ski Doo in the background. Did I notice you have the hangar decorated for Christmas with lights?

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Doesn't everybody?

Glenn

Exeter N.H.---Spruce Creek Fly-in(7FL6) Daytona Beach FLorida
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t see the rainbow banner hanging in there----John F

"You cannot teach experience, you must acquire it."
    Captain Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird69 View Post
    I don`t see the rainbow banner hanging in there----John F
    Jeeeze John, just spent 2 hrs welding on my groomer and just took my boots off to sit down. Boots back on walk out in 8f and go to hangar.

It's standing guard over my Model A

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 02-13-2018 at 12:03 AM.
    Likes kestrel, NC2252M, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great day of flying in the North East, lunch on Oneida lake with my friends in a 12, they are having a big snowmobile drag race on the end of that lake this weekend. Then flew north up over tug hill and then turned west and flew over to Lake Ontario and flew down the shore line. I was surprised at how much of Ontario was froze over, very rare. Fun day.
    Scott20180213_110830.jpg20180213_113215.jpg20180213_113550.jpg20180213_131635.jpg20180213_133132.jpg20180213_140230.jpg20180213_143049.jpg20180213_143043.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes cubdriver2, JP, Tim, Vlad, A very stick puppy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It was a nice day to fly. Heat sucks in these things. So does the snow. Maybe we will get some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Tim, NC2252M, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife told me that she read somewhere that a Breezy has better heat than my cub.
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Special day to play. Ice shanty on Lake Champlain.IMG_0907.jpg

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Post Thanks / Like

It's standing guard over my Model A

Glenn
    Is there anything you don't have in that hangar

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    Is there anything you don't have in that hangar

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    If I clean up a little there is room for a Hatz biplane

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice evening for a ride

Glenn
    Likes 40m, JP, CamTom12, BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When things were simple.Had a ton of fun on those.Now you need a laptop to figure out why the damn thing won't run.
    If you ever wanted to learn about reversion in an intake tract just take the air cleaner off and watch it spit fuel back at you.
    I may just want one of those again
    KB
    Likes JP, Joseph206, siegel185 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing new is better, Iím glad Iím not the only one that appreciates the simpler things. I think half the fun is keeping them running.
    Image1518697407.897791.jpg
    Image1518697450.703004.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but with the newer sleds you can actually go somewhere. Yesterday Laura and I put 100 miles on, overnighted in Woodstock and rode home the next day.
    I'm all for simple but I've been stuck in the woods too many times. Old school cool Glenn!
    IMG_0281.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    When things were simple.Had a ton of fun on those.Now you need a laptop to figure out why the damn thing won't run.
    If you ever wanted to learn about reversion in an intake tract just take the air cleaner off and watch it spit fuel back at you.
    I may just want one of those again
    KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post
    I'm all for simple but I've been stuck in the woods too many times. Old school cool Glenn!
    90% of my mechanical education is from being too lazy to walk home. Still true today.

Glenn
    Likes CamTom12, 1piece@atime, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Went flying on Tuesday, put 140 miles on the sled yesterday and fixing a dent in a 172 today. Life is good. 20180214_124044.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Them are my old stomping grounds, montague inn, tug hill in,Louis and tuggers. Used to be 5cent wings there on Wednesdays. Grew up about 5 miles from there.

Likes NC2252M liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sat Feb 17 Twitchell lake cookout on the ice at 1pm. Twitchell is 5 miles NE of Old Forge airport. For those interested we are also thinking of doing an overnight at Dave's camp. We could shuttle in cars down to restaurant 4 miles away for dinner and drinks. Bring sleeping bag/ mattress and 100' extention cord to plug in plane. Looks like a low of 15 to 20 Saturday night.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.go...1000426h,0t,0r

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 02-15-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    They have good food at Montague, I wish there was a place to land. Twitchell sounds good on Saturday, hope I have some snow left after this thaw. I can always take the wife's plane, she is on wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could probably land a plane at flat rock inn at Constableville. another place would be hillbilly inn between Copenhagen and champion, thereís a nice field behind it also pleasant lake is down over the bank. My grandfather used to keep his float plane down there

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Likes NC2252M liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sat Feb 17 Twitchell lake cookout on the ice at 1pm. Twitchell is 5 miles NE of Old Forge airport. For those interested we are also thinking of doing an overnight at Dave's camp. We could shuttle in cars down to restaurant 4 miles away for dinner and drinks. Bring sleeping bag/ mattress and 100' extention cord to plug in plane. Looks like a low of 15 to 20 Saturday night.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.go...1000426h,0t,0r

Glenn
    Ok, looks good for Sat, tires or skis are fine. I'll be at Speculator around 9am for breakfast then work our way to Twitchell lk. 91 efree at Raquette lk but you need a container. 122.75 com

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Planning on going, might have a few planes in tow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Iím gonna try and meet up with you guys. Got the new tires mounted up, just need to weigh them a do a test flight and Iíll be on my way. Image1518829881.043920.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So far 2 of us spending the night

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 02-16-2018 at 08:33 PM.