Thread: Merging Threads

Post Thanks / Like

Merging Threads

I have been a moderator here for longer than I can remember and I also run ShortWingPipers.org. I have always tried to merge threads of the same subject. I find it easier for myself when going back and looking for that information in the future to not have to search through multiple threads. Curious what other's thoughts are on this practice?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I am absolutely in favor of this and would get more moderators to help if someone is interested. We have a lot of the same content that can be more useful if pulled together - in most cases.

Thanks, Steve!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not all lollipops have a tootsie Roll in the center

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    PA-12 performance has been talked about before. Why start a new thread? Now that you did, why not merge it with one of several old threads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    PA-12 performance has been talked about before. Why start a new thread? Now that you did, why not merge it with one of several old threads?
    The thread I started was on flight characteristics not performance. I could not find a thread on a comparison between how the PA18 felt vs the PA12. If you would send me the links to the other threads I would be glad to link them.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The thread I started was on flight characteristics not performance. I could not find a thread on a comparison between how the PA18 felt vs the PA12. If you would send me the links to the other threads I would be glad to link them.
    This is a great illustration. Steve thought he was starting something new, while Stewart thought it was the same topic. Since Steve started the new thread, his should be the dominant opinion. If someone thinks it has already been hashed, he can stick a link in the new thread.

Every conversation is different, even if the subject is the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBob View Post
    This is a great illustration. Steve thought he was starting something new, while Stewart thought it was the same topic. Since Steve started the new thread, his should be the dominant opinion. If someone thinks it has already been hashed, he can stick a link in the new thread.

Every conversation is different, even if the subject is the same.
    Please post some of your points you made in your PM's with me. I would be curious to other's thoughts as well.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Social media has largely taken over the "conversation" for a lot of folks, leaving forums in the lasting information and resource category. If you look at a forum like Benzworld.com or some other car forums, they are very careful about categorizing information so it is easy to access later. The idea of merging threads is not to dilute content, but rather to make it easier to access. I don't disagree with either side here, and I think there is a place for both. For technical type information, it is good to have it in a "like" thread if possible. Ten threads on rebuilding a scott 3200 are not necessary, but a trip report on a trip to Helsinki should not be merged with other Helsinki trip reports.

Common sense should prevail in most cases. Also, remember Google is the best way to search the forums.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    When I sign on, I click "New Posts." If a thread shows up that's 5 pages long and was started several years ago, I don't click on it. I figure I'll never get caught up in the conversation. I also figure that many of the previous participants aren't around anymore, so I don't even know who I'm interacting with. I'd never, for instance, click "Reply" on a post that's years old. Allowing the conversation to restart encourages participation by people who weren't there the last time, and might bring new insights from people who were. A site like this is more a newspaper than a book.

Members should believe the people are more important than the site, comments more important than their organization. For many, writing for an audience of 10,000 is a high-risk, high-stress activitity. If they write something and later return to find it's been moved, edited, or re-titled, they'll get the message that what they originally wrote was inadequate, and they'll clam up. "Apparently, my question about Scott tailwheels was deemed unimportant, so they buried it in a crypto-thread."

It would be much more polite to let the new threads stand, while inserting links to the old ones. Politeness on the Internet is rare and wonderful!

Thanks spinner2 thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    sj,

Perhaps there ought to be "sub threads" as in sub chapters which organizes subject matter in a more simplified search method? I fully understand that going back over the past threads would be an almost insurmountable task. Is it possible that going forward something of this nature could take place? Then once this process is started those with an understanding could relocate lost threads as they present themselves? This could prevent unintentional slightly different threads from disappearing into one large one making future research more difficult.

Sometimes when I try to research a topic I get many many pages of threads which would take years to read through. They often seem totally unrelated to my inquiry which then prompts me to start a new thread which could possibly have been avoided. Yes some people are far less computer literate than others which is likely why or at least part of the reason that we get into these issues.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Somewhat on the contrary to what stubob posted, I see supercub.org's forum and members as the encyclopedia britannica. It's very much a solid book of ever increasing knowledge to me, whereas Instragm is the newspaper and Facebook is the corner store.

I took click on "new posts" and choose what threads to read based on the Topic posted, no matter what the date is, as I can learn from 10 year old wisdom as well as 10 minute old wisdom. Just need to read with a nice sifter in hand, to sort out the gems from the gravel.

I don't see issues with merging threads, as the collection is worth more than the one. What I do miss out on is when a thread changes topics mid-stream, and so it after it develops into a 10 page thread I might take a look to see if it's still talking about brake pucks, or if it morphed into +3 gear and new Berlinger wheels on page 2 and I've missed the discussion for 8 pages. Seems topics that hit tangents don't split apart as often as they should.

pb

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    What I do miss out on is when a thread changes topics mid-stream, and so it after it develops into a 10 page thread I might take a look to see if it's still talking about brake pucks, or if it morphed into +3 gear and new Berlinger wheels on page 2 and I've missed the discussion for 8 pages. Seems topics that hit tangents don't split apart as often as they should.

pb
    Also a good point. So if I have a question about Berlinger wheels and write a new post, does it get moved to the Brake Pucks thread, which has become a Berlinger wheels thread, or does it stand on its own? Future Googlers will find it either way, but present-day browsers -- including the author, who wonders where his post went -- might only find it in the new thread. And if I have a question about brake pucks, does it get moved to the Brake Pucks thread, even though that thread hasn't really been about brake pucks for several pages?

Every conversation is different, even when the topics seem the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t like mergered threads. I think the forum topics is enough of a separator.

Merged threads are like listening to someone in a conversation speaking with a strong accent. You’re not quite sure what is being said.
    Last edited by spinner2; 12-14-2017 at 08:46 AM. Reason: iPad likes to throw in odd words
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Likes skywagon8a, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Tags for threads?

Sent from my Pixel XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    --
    Bearhawk, RV-4

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to like the merged threads myself.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great illustration. Steve thought he was starting something new, while Stewart thought it was the same topic. Since Steve started the new thread, his should be the dominant opinion. If someone thinks it has already been hashed, he can stick a link in the new thread. Every conversation is different, even if the subject is the same.
    On this site, and others, I've seen concurrent threads about the same or pretty much the same thing.
    Sometimes started by the same person, sometimes not.
    Merging those is a good idea-- easier to find the current info all in one place.
    But I'm not in favor of merging a new thread with an older, inactive one.
    New threads on old subjects don't bother me--
    as StuBob said, every conversation is different, even if the subject is the same.
    (great way to put it BTW)
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes StuBob liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do not merge threads. Just add links to old threads in new one and if old one pops up. Makes it a pain in the ass to keep subjects strait

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel View Post
    Tags for threads?

Sent from my Pixel XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    I think we can already do this here. Somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to favor not merging and adding links, unless two threads on the same topic are occurring at the same time. Then a merge is appropriate.

Google search seems to work very well for finding particular items of information in older threads. I hardly ever go to subforums to start a search.

But the recent merge episode shed light on one thing I had been trying to figure out: I have the Supercub.org app on my phone and sometimes an interesting new thread would pop up, only to be not available when selected. Something about an administrator deleting it. I now realize that it wasn't deleted for content, but rather moved in a merge.
    Likes mike mcs repair, StuBob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It certainly does help if people use more care in creating a topic title on new threads. Often times, a great thread will be running around with a totally unrelated title. You can always email/PM me if think a thread would benefit from a different title and we can look at it.

I am watching the input here and appreciate it.

sj
    Likes mike mcs repair, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    It certainly does help if people use more care in creating a topic title on new threads. Often times, a great thread will be running around with a totally unrelated title. You can always email/PM me if think a thread would benefit from a different title and we can look at it.

sj
    I'm guilty of that

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like

sj
    That's funny, but it happens everywhere. Someone writes a post asking about the efficacy of deer whistles, relates a story of hitting a deer, and gives it a title like "I Guess It Was My Turn."

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with SJ about making thread titles relevant and "on point"... Threads that are titled "guess what?" or some equivalent name that gives you zero insight into what the thread is about. Most of the threads here are reasonably well named, but every once in a while... Glad to know we can email/PM SJ to suggest a title change.
    Jim Parker
    '65 Champion 7ECA - Flying
    ?? Bearhawk Patrol - Building
    Likes bob turner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    WhenI sign on, I click "New Posts." If a thread shows up that's5 pages long and was started several years ago, I don't click on it.I figure I'll never get caught up in the conversation. I also figurethat many of the previous participants aren't around anymore, so Idon't even know who I'm interacting with. I'd never, for instance,click "Reply" on a post that's years old. Allowing theconversation to restart encourages participation by people whoweren't there the last time, and might bring new insights from peoplewho were. A site like this is more a newspaper than a book.
    We have people do just that quite often. They search for a topic, read it and then ask a question that wasn't covered or add newer information. I find it very easy to read through an old thread, bypass the stuff that doesn't matter to me and educate myself on the subject.The recent thread that you started on building experimental Cub types is a perfect example in my opinion.You asked several questions in the thread that were covered in the previous thread. I am less likely to go back and post an answer to a question that was asked and answered previously. If the two threads on the same subject were linked together your thread is still intact and the conversation is unbroken and contains the same flow it did before. The only difference is that it has more information ahead of you initial post pertinent to the same subject. It also allows people easier access to go back and read the previous posts on the subject.
    Members should believe the people are more important than the site, comments more important than their organization. For many, writing for an audience of 10,000 is a high-risk, high-stress activity. If they write something and later return to find it's been moved, edited, or re-titled, they'll get the message that what they originally wrote was inadequate, and they'll clam up. "Apparently, my question about Scott tailwheels was deemed unimportant, so they buried it in acrypto-thread."It would be much more polite to let thenew threads stand, while inserting links to the old ones. Politenesson the Internet is rare and wonderful!
    I guess I do not understand this at all. I don't see where combining your question with a thread on the same subject is any way making you less important. My post on combing the two threads was a perfect example. I took the time to find the thread I remember reading awhile back and combining it with your thread and made a few new comments of my own on the subject. I was taking my time to try and help you find the information you were asking about. To me that should make you fell better not worse about posting.
    Also a good point. So if I have a question about Berlinger wheels and write a new post, does it get moved to the Brake Pucks thread, which has become a Berlinger wheels thread, or does it stand on its own?Future Googlers will find it either way, but present-day browsers --including the author, who wonders where his post went -- might only find it in the new thread. And if I have a question about brake pucks, does it get moved to the Brake Pucks thread, even though that thread hasn't really been about brake pucks for several pages?
    Every conversation is different, even when the topics seem the same.
    What if's are just that, What If. I would like to see where this was actually done. I have actually separated subjects on ShortWingPipers.org where there was a thread drift so that one subject was separated from the drifted subject.My whole point in merging threads was to help others. Anyone who really knows me knows that I like to help others and a lot of times to a fault. I often times find myself looking for a topic that I know has been discussed here and having to dig through several threads on the same subject to find the information I was looking for. I recently merged a lot of vortex generator threads for that reason. This process takes a lot of time and like I said I do it to help others. If it is unwanted I will refrain from doing it and go back in my shop and work on airplanes. Probably a better use of my time than spending it here anyway.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 12-15-2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I agree with many of your points, and many of the other folks points. It's a mix here of "social media" (conversations) and "encyclopedia" (resource library). I'd agree the social chat posts do not need to be merged, but there are times when library posts do need to be merged.

I would say I would prefer you to spend your time helping folks everyday as you have done for fifteen years! here rather than working on airplanes, everybody knows airplanes build themselves anyway....

Steve, I think I speak for 98% of the membership here that we greatly appreciate your knowledge and more importantly, your willingness to help almost anyone - even when they use that help and then treat it as if it had no value!

Thanks

sj
    Thanks cubscout thanked for this post
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe if you combine threads there should be a way that automatically notifies anyone that has contributed to the thread of the merger.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    This process takes a lot of time and like I said I do it to help others. If it is unwanted I will refrain from doing it and go back in my shop and work on airplanes. Probably a better use of my time than spending it here anyway.
    Please don't refrain.

I'm a newcomer, of course. I hope my early comment wasn't piling on. I've easily spent a couple hundred hours pouring over threads here, gleaning all sorts of useful information. Your contributions are extraordinary.

I'm an admin on a pretty large discussion board, so I have a sense of the amount of back-room work you've got on your plate. Most of it is unseen and unacknowledged. I hope you'll keep it up, though.

S2D's suggestion reminded me of something. The site I'm an admin on used to use V-Bulletin. It's been a while, but I think there was a choice under thread merges to leave a redirect notice, so that people who had bookmarked the old thread would be brought to the merged thread.

The other suggestion is simply an admin post saying something like "thread merged...." after the merger.

Mostly, I'm indifferent to the merger issue. The information is there, and it is much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I think I speak for 98% of the membership here that we greatly appreciate your knowledge and more importantly, your willingness to help almost anyone - even when they use that help and then treat it as if it had no value!

Thanks

sj
    X2, thanks Steve!!!
    Practicing open cockpit extremism

Post Thanks / Like
    But are you going to signal and look over your shoulder before you merge?
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    It was never my intention to stir up controversy. It all began when a thread I started got merged into a 5-year-old necro thread that I'd already read. Though I've spent an embarrassing amount of time on forums and other social media, I can't remember having had that happen before. So I PM'ed Steve to suggest he re-think the whole concept of thread merging. Then he started this thread.

Though I'm an experienced airplane owner/caretaker (Bronze Lindy, Vintage, 2014), I have almost nothing to contribute to the topic of Supercubs. But I do know a thing or two about social media and UI/UX. I just felt this was one area where I might have something positive to offer.

Steve is obviously working very hard to make this a great site, and it is. Running a site like this is a big undertaking. I thought I might have an improvement, but it appears I've become a problem. Sorry about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was never my intention to stir up controversy. It all began when a thread I started got merged into a 5-year-old necro thread that I'd already read. Though I've spent an embarrassing amount of time on forums and other social media, I can't remember having had that happen before. So I PM'ed Steve to suggest he re-think the whole concept of thread merging. Then he started this thread.

Though I'm an experienced airplane owner/caretaker (Bronze Lindy, Vintage, 2014), I have almost nothing to contribute to the topic of Supercubs. But I do know a thing or two about social media and UI/UX. I just felt this was one area where I might have something positive to offer.

Steve is obviously working very hard to make this a great site, and it is. Running a site like this is a big undertaking. I thought I might have an improvement, but it appears I've become a problem. Sorry about that.
    Not a problem, I just remembered Bill Rusk's thread on the same subject and didn't know if you had read it or not. I thought it would be good to merge the two since there was some good information in Bill's thread and that your newer information would compliment it and that all of the information might benefit everyone. I didn't realize that me merging someone's thread with another might ruffle their feathers. I started this thread because I know others have different opinions than I do and wanted to know other's views on the subject and why to help me better understand how my actions were effecting other people. I think I now understand that some people take a personal pride in starting a thread and feel violated if that thread is merged with another. That is something I never thought about but now am aware of. I learned something and that is good.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Bill Rusk liked this post